27 replies to this topic

#21 gcoupe

gcoupe

HSS Pro

• Members
    • 240 posts
    • LocationNetherlands

Posted 16 January 2012 - 02:12 AM

Oh, and I've tracked down where Microsoft claims that WHS 2011 also does single-instance storage; it's in the "Getting Started" document:

Windows Home Server 2011 automatically backs up your home computers to the home server and can help you easily restore the entire computer or an individual file or folder to a previous point in time. The Windows Home Server Backup solution uses an innovative method to back up only the data that has not already been backed up before. Even if you have several copies of the same data on different computers, the data is backed up only once on your home server, and your home server keeps track of what data was stored on each home computer on each day. Backups complete quickly and efficiently, and use less space on your home server.

Mind you, that document also contains several errors, so I'm almost inclined to take this with a pinch of salt.

#22 ikon

ikon

HSS Elite Master

• Donating Member
    • 13,851 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:29 AM

Oh, and I've tracked down where Microsoft claims that WHS 2011 also does single-instance storage; it's in the "Getting Started" document:

Mind you, that document also contains several errors, so I'm almost inclined to take this with a pinch of salt.

That certainly describes single instance storage. And the statement is pretty emphatic about it too. Let's hope it is true. And thanks for tracking it down. Great job.

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

#23 countryfarmer23

countryfarmer23

HSS Member

• Members
    • 15 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 03:50 PM

@ ittog - What you are seeing is the difference between a full and incremental/differential backup.

It's not that. My initial backup and current backups still don't equal the size of the data on the disks and the data that is backep up.

Edited by countryfarmer23, 17 January 2012 - 03:56 PM.

#24 countryfarmer23

countryfarmer23

HSS Member

• Members
    • 15 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 03:56 PM

I do agree there documentation is poor. I can't find anything. Even on their site that says WHS 2011 documentation it brings up old documentation from V1. So are you all seeing that the total size of your data partition and the size of the server backup differ from what they "actually" are?

If they had a white paper on things like this as they did with the older WHS I might be able to answer my own question.

I'd like to prove to myself that these files are actually beig backed up even though the size differs.

#25 diehard

diehard

HSS Elite

• Moderators
    • 1,627 posts
    • LocationMontreal

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:52 PM

Here's an other quote,

Single Instance Storage (SIS) – This file system filter driver transparently removes duplicate files from a volume to save space without impacting server performance. As duplicate files are detected the files are moved to a central store and replaced with a 4KB reparse point. The new version of SIS was written to use the mini-filter model. SIS supports 128 volumes on a single server and includes a full set of new Windows PowerShell cmdlets to control SIS. SIS is fantastic on a build server (I’ve seen > 70% storage savings) and useful on home/group/user folders (I usually see ~15% storage savings). SIS adds 2-3 milliseconds to the I/O read-path and it does not significantly impact the performance of a file-server. SIS works great on failover clusters too!

EX470 modified BIOS BE-2300 CPU 4Gig ram, 4 2TB HDD. DX4000 with 4 2TB HDD Storage Server2008 R2 Essentials.
    Microsoft MVP - Windows Home Server

#26 ikon

ikon

HSS Elite Master

• Donating Member
    • 13,851 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:00 PM

thanks for that diehard. Great to have confirmation that SIS is indeed in WHS2011.

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

#27 gcoupe

gcoupe

HSS Pro

• Members
    • 240 posts
    • LocationNetherlands

Posted 18 January 2012 - 04:22 AM

Thanks for the quote, diehard. Can you please cite the source for completeness? Thanks.

#28 countryfarmer23

countryfarmer23

HSS Member

• Members
    • 15 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 04:23 PM

So any idea on the size difference?

Skins By Invisioneers