John7

Failure to install connection software on 2 Vista PCs

100 posts in this topic

There have been reported instances of passwords containing \ or - caused problems. Not sure if it's xp or vista related. Sounds very odd but it was a solution for others.

I think those instances had something else going on and they fixed something else thinking a changed password at the same time was the issue. I use a 16 character password with 4 specials.

My passwords have not had any odd bits in them just letters and numbers

Check the status of the Net.Tcp Port Sharing Service. (control panel, services)

Is it started or starting?

Hi its started, its set to automatic and as said its running

John

I had a XP client that was connected to WHS for about a month. One day I removed the client/connector software on all my machines to cleanup/delete the client backup folder on the server.

The XP machine would fail to reinstall the client/connector, while the other 4 Win 7 machines reinstalled/connected successfully.

I removed .Net Framework 4 client profile and the .Net Framework 4 extended software, deleted the .Net 4 folder but the client would not install.

I found with the XP machine the service Net.Tcp Port sharing Service was in a starting status.

I changed the logon account from this account (Cannot remember what the default was) to use the Local SYSTEM Account.

Restarted the XP machine and the service was started.

The Client connector installed without a fuss.

Just a correction... the connector software installed correctly, but the launchpad thinks the server is offline.

Hi John,

Below is a summary of some of the errors in the logs. These look like to 2 relevant sections

Can anyone else assist?

MSI (s) (58:D0) [16:01:28:299]: Note: 1: 1722 2: SetupMcConnector 3: C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\esSetup.exe 4: **********

MSI (s) (58:D0) [16:01:28:342]: Note: 1: 2205 2: 3: Error

MSI (s) (58:D0) [16:01:28:386]: Note: 1: 2228 2: 3: Error 4: SELECT `Message` FROM `Error` WHERE `Error` = 1722

MSI (s) (58:D0) [16:01:28:431]: Note: 1: 2205 2: 3: Error

MSI (s) (58:D0) [16:01:28:508]: Note: 1: 2228 2: 3: Error 4: SELECT `Message` FROM `Error` WHERE `Error` = 1709

MSI (s) (58:D0) [16:01:28:586]: Product: Windows Home Server 2011 Connector -- Error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action SetupMcConnector, location: C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\esSetup.exe, command: **********

Action ended 16:01:28: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.

MSI (s) (58:D0) [16:02:55:743]: Product: Windows Home Server 2011 Connector - Update 'Update Rollup for Microsoft Windows (KB2554637)' could not be installed. Error code 1603. Additional information is available in the log file C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Server\Logs\ClientCoreX86.msi.log.

MSI (s) (58:D0) [16:02:55:788]: Windows Installer installed an update. Product Name: Windows Home Server 2011 Connector. Product Version: 6.1.8800.16389. Product Language: 1033. Update Name: Update Rollup for Microsoft Windows (KB2554637). Installation success or error status: 1603.

MSI (s) (58:D0) [16:02:55:832]: Note: 1: 1708

MSI (s) (58:D0) [16:02:55:876]: Note: 1: 2205 2: 3: Error

MSI (s) (58:D0) [16:02:55:946]: Note: 1: 2228 2: 3: Error 4: SELECT `Message` FROM `Error` WHERE `Error` = 1708

MSI (s) (58:D0) [16:02:55:987]: Note: 1: 2205 2: 3: Error

MSI (s) (58:D0) [16:02:56:031]: Note: 1: 2228 2: 3: Error 4: SELECT `Message` FROM `Error` WHERE `Error` = 1709

MSI (s) (58:D0) [16:02:56:091]: Product: Windows Home Server 2011 Connector -- Installation failed.

MSI (s) (58:D0) [16:02:56:195]: Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: Windows Home Server 2011 Connector. Product Version: 6.1.8800.16389. Product Language: 1033. Installation success or error status: 1603.

pitty my one is running

Edited by John7

Interesting link here. Your issue is described almost exactly.

KB 2554634 may be your clue

SMSvcHost and SMSvcHost.exe.config swaping did nothing

and role up KB 2554634 is listed in installed MS updates in programs

Edited by John7

This is sounds like the problems your having. The link has 4 solutions, with Method 2 seemed to help a few people

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-windows_update/windows-update-fails-to-install-updates-with-error/98573891-eead-4257-8bf2-1fbac3f2a96a

Method 2:

System resources, such as file data, registry data, and even in-memory data, can develop inconsistencies during the lifetime of the operating system. These inconsistencies might be caused by various hardware failures or might be caused by software issues. In some cases, these inconsistencies can affect the Windows servicing store, and they can cause software updates not to work. The System Update Readiness Tool tries to resolve these inconsistencies.

After you download the System Update Readiness Tool, it runs a onetime scan for inconsistencies that might prevent future servicing operations. This scan typically takes less than 15 minutes to run. However, the tool might take significantly longer on some computers. The Windows Update progress bar is not updated during the scan, and progress seems to stop at 60% complete for some time. This behavior is expected. The scan is still running and you should not cancel the update.

For more information and to download the “System update readiness tool” visit the following link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821

Other than that, i'm out of ideas. Might be time for a clean install :unsure:

Goodluck

There have been reported instances of passwords containing \ or - caused problems. Not sure if it's xp or vista related. Sounds very odd but it was a solution for others.

I came across this last night when looking at the Update Rollup 1 for Windows Home Server 2011

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2554634

Issue 3

The Client Deployment Wizard fails with an authentication failure if one of the following conditions is true:

• The server password contains a backslash and a double quotation mark (\").
  • The server password ends with a backslash (\).
  • The server password contains a double quotation mark (") but does not end with a double quotation mark.

I came across this last night when looking at the Update Rollup 1 for Windows Home Server 2011

http://support.micro....com/kb/2554634

I admire your persistence. This one is a brute. I can sympathize because I'm currently trying to fix a wireless backhaul link that's been running way slower than it should for several months. We've got almost everyone involved and it still refuses to say 'uncle'.

I normally avoid (at all costs) to suggest clean installs to "Fix" a problem.. it might be the faster and cheaper (smarter) way of fixing issues, but no one is the wiser to the root cause.

Unless something new comes up, I'm out of ideas for now..... :)

I'll need to get back to fixing my XP client issues now.

Thanks... this is a great community.

I normally avoid (at all costs) to suggest clean installs to "Fix" a problem.. it might be the faster and cheaper (smarter) way of fixing issues, but no one is the wiser to the root cause.

Unless something new comes up, I'm out of ideas for now..... :)

I'll need to get back to fixing my XP client issues now.

Thanks... this is a great community.

If you do decide to reinstall you should clone the drive(s) first so you can slap them back into the PC and try new ideas as them come up. It would let you have functional PC's in the meantime but also give you the opportunity to troubleshoot when you want.

This is sounds like the problems your having. The link has 4 solutions, with Method 2 seemed to help a few people

http://answers.micro...f2-1fbac3f2a96a

Other than that, i'm out of ideas. Might be time for a clean install :unsure:

Goodluck

Reget no joy eather but a very clean installer now!

John

Its a shame that didn't work.

Ikons' suggestion of cloning your machine is a good idea if you decide to do a clean install.

If you find anything else, let us know.

Final try has failed.

I have thrown everything I can think off at it

Changed networking over to the one main router.

V6 is disabled in the controller.

Cat 5e cabling

Rebooted router.

Cleaned Net rebooted ran CCleaner rebooted and ran again.

Downloaded Net and ran update until no more updates.

Ran CCleaner and rebooted,

Disabled firewall on server and PC (also antivirus on PC).

ran install and failed again.

Thanks for all help I give up

Regards

John

Strange things happen when you sleep... but I had a thought about this post.

When you ran CCLEANER, did you specify to clean the registry or did you just leave it on the default to clean up files?

Try cleaning the registry.

Reboot and try again,

Also in CCleaner, have a look at the tools section and check your startup apps and disable all of them and try again.

Might be worth a shot.

Fred

I had tried msconfig and disabled all non-MS services which didn't get anywhere. But it might be worth CCleaner as well. Yes I used the registry cleaner, I usually use infrequently JV16 which is a bit less ruthless in default settings than CCleaner. But use CCleaner after an uninstall as find its a bit better at finding left overs.

Edited by John7

Sorry no good! Disabled everything, no change.

Our work round is to use a Synchronization programs/s for keeping the 3 computers data updated and backed up. My son is going to set up both servers to have data backed up on each other’s one via the internet. We are going for my grandsons 3rd birthday this week so will sort out what programs etc. then.

I realise my existing practice of creating disc images on external drives attached to the PC and as needed to the laptops can change. I can carry on doing images using one eSATA drive for all 3 and the Genie timeline software on the PC changed to back up onto the server freeing up the eSATA drive used permanently on the PC to go onto the server for server backups until hard drive prices come down when I will get more drives to change to RAD.

John

Well solved it, being a member of the U3A i am able to get student software. So did an ultimate upgrade and the connexion software install no problem. Pity the upgrade took a full day but it’s up and running with full WHS2011 connexion now and EVEN better drive mapping works which inability to work under Vista Home was a real pain.

Now to the next stage (after some weeks!) of synchronization software, to enable fast backups between my sons and our servers. We tried Super Flexible File Synchronizer last night, under 900Mb took over 11hours with errors so not too impressed! But this is another one to find a solution for.

Good to hear your all connected to the server.

Your connection speed sounds like your on wireless. Try a direct attracted cable via a switch to see if the router is slowing tings down.

Could be the problem, though the data was from my server to his with the program running on my laptop.

This uses (Intel N after Dell replaced the useless one originally fitted), currently 200 to 280Mbps which is better than the Ethernet dell were kind enough to fit as a fast one (10/100). On just transfer tests between this and the desk top the wireless works a lot faster than the 100 Ethernet.

At present we are (well my son is) working out what was causing the errors, next time we try it I will try cable and see if it helps.

I may have solved the problem, I just seen the WHS has home network as its network account. Thios wouldn;t work right with Vista. When I can get a moniter onto the server etc I will chane it to work and see!