• Please log in to reply
    9 replies to this topic

#1 GomeRyan

GomeRyan

HSS 1 Post Wonder

• Members
    • 3 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 01:07 AM

I just upgraded to Windows Home Server 2011. I can access files and download them remotely. I can't stream media though. It shows my media the Media Library Window. But when I click on any of it, I get this message: "An error has occurred on the server. Please try again later. If the error continues, view Support Informationfor help." For a little while I was able to stream to my Windows Mobile phone. Now I can't stream to it either. Any advice?

#2 pcdoc

pcdoc

HSS Legend

• Moderators
    • 3,957 posts
    • LocationLos Angeles, California

Posted 31 December 2011 - 02:36 AM

I just upgraded to Windows Home Server 2011. I can access files and download them remotely. I can't stream media though. It shows my media the Media Library Window. But when I click on any of it, I get this message: "An error has occurred on the server. Please try again later. If the error continues, view Support Informationfor help." For a little while I was able to stream to my Windows Mobile phone. Now I can't stream to it either. Any advice?

Sorry I missed your post earlier. What is the format of the files? There is little support for anything but a few file formats built in. Typically you have to use a transcoder but since I do not have a Windows Phone you might have to look for one.

Main Server - WHS 2011, Core I5-2500, 12T RAID 5 (5x3T) + 2T of Mirror + 2T of backup
    Second Server - 2012, Core I5-2500, 12T RAID 5
    Main Systems - Core I5-4770, 16 Gigs DDR3-1600, 180 Gig Intel 330 SSD. 240 Gig Intel 520, 3T Seagate - Other systems - Core I7-2600, 2 x Core I5-2500, Core I5-4570S, Core I3-2100, and G620

My Blog - The Doc's World
    Tablet Resource - BYOB Videos - TheBYOBPodcast

For More Information:

Computer Systems

Home Network

#3 GomeRyan

GomeRyan

HSS 1 Post Wonder

• Members
    • 3 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 04:16 PM

All of my music is .wma. That should work, right?

#4 gcoupe

gcoupe

HSS Pro

• Members
    • 240 posts
    • LocationNetherlands

Posted 02 January 2012 - 08:14 AM

Frankly, the Media Service in WHS 2011 is not at all robust. See the last item in the TechNet Wiki here:
    http://social.techne...essentials.aspx

#5 dvn

dvn

HSS Elite

• Moderators
    • 1,757 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 08:58 AM

If it's music you want to stream, Subsonic does it well. I stream .m4a music files to my iPhone from my WHS 2011 server. Yes, I did have to purchase a license but it's donationware. I think I paid $15.

fwiw - mp3 is a better format only because with it you can FF or RW. Subsonic does not yet support FF/RW for .m4a yet.

#6 ikon

ikon

HSS Elite Master

• Donating Member
    • 14,042 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:51 AM

Wonder if it can 1) stream WMA and 2) if it can FF/RW them?

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

#7 GomeRyan

GomeRyan

HSS 1 Post Wonder

• Members
    • 3 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:09 AM

Thanks for the replies. I've noticed the media streaming in WHS isn't that great, which is a disappointment. But I did try Subsonic. It took a little tweaking to work with my setup, but now that it is working, it is awesome. I streamed music from my WHS to my Windows Phone all weekend. Thanks for the advice! I still wish WHS worked the way it's advertised though!

#8 jazzerjay

jazzerjay

HSS Champion

• Members
    • 371 posts
    • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:06 PM

I've tried subsonic several times and have not been able to get past my two router interface. I'm about to try it again by creating a DMZ on my first router. (The first router is a DSL/router/wireless switch from Qwest. I'm just using it for pass-through)

#9 jazzerjay

jazzerjay

HSS Champion

• Members
    • 371 posts
    • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 30 January 2012 - 01:08 PM

Subsonic works like a champ on the Qwest router. Port forwarding from one router to another one worked as well! Weird this is my 5th attempt at different configurations and finally it has worked.

#10 ikon

ikon

HSS Elite Master

• Donating Member
    • 14,042 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:03 PM

LOL, There's nuthin' like perseverance I tell ya, nuthin'. :)

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: whs 2011, remote, streaming

Skins By Invisioneers