• Please log in to reply
    51 replies to this topic

#41 ikon

ikon

HSS Elite Genius

• Donating Member
    • 16,090 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 02:16 PM

OK, the beer didn't help. Well, it helped but it didn't really help. I was able to get the connector to install without too much trouble last night. After I unplugged the wired connection, I let the computer stay on over night (on a wireless connection) and it didn't create a backup.

Something that I just noticed: in the Network and Sharing Center, it says that I am connected to my new wireless SSID (Undercover Police Van #9). BUT! The desktop shows that it is connected to the old network name (Undercover Police Van #4). I feel that part of this might be some of the problem. For instance, while on a wired connection, I was able to RDP into the desktop. After trying this over wireless, I got the same errors that I had been getting earlier.

Interestingly, I cannot connect to the server using the connector software (on wired or wireless connection). I'm grasping at straws at this point.

Undercover Police Van??? I hope you really are a cop, or you might just get a knock on your door :)

re: the wireless connection. Did you remove/delete all the existing wireless profiles before joining up to the new one?

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

#42 foy1der

foy1der

HSS Pro

• Members
    • 187 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 04:48 PM

At some point in time, I'm sure if you looked at irony in wikipedia, you would see my list of SSIDs.

I did not remove the existing profiles. I will try removing all of them and then adding just the one that I am using.

#43 ikon

ikon

HSS Elite Genius

• Donating Member
    • 16,090 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 05:00 PM

At some point in time, I'm sure if you looked at irony in wikipedia, you would see my list of SSIDs.

Ah, well, I use the original meaning of 'irony' when I use it, not the 'co-incidence' meaning that everyone seems to use they days.

I did not remove the existing profiles. I will try removing all of them and then adding just the one that I am using.

Let us know how that works out.

#44 foy1der

foy1der

HSS Pro

• Members
    • 187 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:23 PM

I tried removing the old SSID's from the wifi setup, that didn't work. However, I did try something interesting. From "run", it executed the server's IP (//192.blah.blah.blah). BAM! There are all my shares. So for some reason, my notebook isn't recognizing the name "server" perhaps this is because I previously had the server named something else?

#45 ikon

ikon

HSS Elite Genius

• Donating Member
    • 16,090 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:16 PM

Did you mention you had changed the server's name? I don't think you mentioned you changed the server's name. If you had mentioned you changed the server's name, a bunch of us would have speculated you have a DNS issue. :)

Try flushing the DNS cache. From a CMD box, type ipconfig /flushdns. If you're curious, try ipconfig /displaydns to confirm that the laptop thinks the server has the old name.

#46 foy1der

foy1der

HSS Pro

• Members
    • 187 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:20 PM

ikon, you may be a genius!

Posted Image

I'm when I get home I'll post back to let you know if this fixes it. I have my hopes high for this one.

#47 ikon

ikon

HSS Elite Genius

• Donating Member
    • 16,090 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:23 PM

I have actually met a couple geniuses in my life; trust me, I ain't one :)

#48 foy1der

foy1der

HSS Pro

• Members
    • 187 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:55 PM

OK, you were right. You aren't a genius. I also talked to my IT guy at work today. So here is what I did:
    ipconfig /flushdns
    nbtstat /R /r /RR
    arp /d *

After all of this, my old server name is the only thing left when I do a "ipconfig /displaydns"

#49 foy1der

foy1der

HSS Pro

• Members
    • 187 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:00 PM

I also tried to manually manipulate the hosts files (hosts, lmhosts). Those appear to just be sample files (windows/system32/drivers/etc/). If I have the wrong file location perhaps someone might know where I can find the correct file location.

#50 ikon

ikon

HSS Elite Genius

• Donating Member
    • 16,090 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:52 AM

OK, you were right. You aren't a genius. I also talked to my IT guy at work today. So here is what I did:
    ipconfig /flushdns
    nbtstat /R /r /RR
    arp /d *

After all of this, my old server name is the only thing left when I do a "ipconfig /displaydns"

Are you saying the DNS cache has the old name still in it? If so, that is a problem. Did the command give you a response of Windows IP Configuration. Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache ?

I also tried to manually manipulate the hosts files (hosts, lmhosts). Those appear to just be sample files (windows/system32/drivers/etc/). If I have the wrong file location perhaps someone might know where I can find the correct file location.

You edit the hosts file, using the examples inside as a guide. Just don't put the comment character at the front of the line. But, to me, this is a last resort. You should not need a local hosts file if your LAN is working properly. There should be a line that says:

127.0.0.1 localhost

Just put another one under it with the address and name of your server.

#51 foy1der

foy1der

HSS Pro

• Members
    • 187 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:40 PM

As a service to the community, I thought that I should finally close this issue. I ended up blowing the drive away and starting over. Not the option I was hoping for, but it worked.

#52 ikon

ikon

HSS Elite Genius

• Donating Member
    • 16,090 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:02 AM

Well, in the end, working is what counts. Glad you at least got it resolved.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: whsv1, system drive, failing, swap

Skins By Invisioneers