• Please log in to reply
    51 replies to this topic

#21 dvn

dvn

HSS Elite

• Moderators
    • 1,757 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 04:58 PM

Just to double check on Server Restore, does it or does it not wipe your PC backups?

There are ways around this if so, but I want to make sure foy1der doesn't have an unpleasant experience. :)

#22 ikon

ikon

HSS Elite Master

• Donating Member
    • 14,247 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 05:25 PM

Dang, wish I could remember for sure. I seem to recall that Server Recovery does retain the backups, but a full Server Restore does not.

It needs to be mentioned, again, that it's important to uninstall the WHS Connector from the computer that will be running the Server Recovery.

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

#23 Joe_Miner

Joe_Miner

HSS Master

• Moderators
    • 2,771 posts
    • LocationCentral Illinois

Posted 02 January 2012 - 05:59 PM

Yes, the bad drive is WD Black, carries a 5 year warranty. I think it runs out in like 2014. So I'll be getting it replaced.

WD has a VERY generous RMA policy for "bad" drives -- for ~$6 each I got replacements for several failing drives and did the whole thing online and in each case ended up with a new drive that was better than what I had before -- for a WD20EADS they'd send me a WD20EARX -- nice!

Just to double check on Server Restore, does it or does it not wipe your PC backups?

There are ways around this if so, but I want to make sure foy1der doesn't have an unpleasant experience. :)

Unfortunately, I got a lot of experience with Server Recovery and Server Reset. http://homeserversho...l-out-on-ex487/

Server Recovery will not save your BDBB that was on your old System Drive -- usually the BDBB is spread across all of the drives -- it can be recovered before hand but you'll need to do the procedure manually described in the MS White Paper that the pgm BDBB is based on. Google the wiki that describes BDBB -- in the notes there's a link to the white paper --
    http://www.mediasmar...ex.php/WHS_BDBB
    http://download.micr...nd_Restore.docx

Server Recovery does save all your shares but the PC backups will be toasted.

Server Reset destroys everything and starts out fresh.

FYI: There is a paper on how to do a Sysdrive Cloning at http://www.mediasmar...s-system-drive/

WHS-2011: HAF932,X58A-UD3R,i7-930, 12GB, HD6450, R640L, Corsair GS240GB, 5in3FatCage, 2xDuoSwap, 5*Red4T, DrivePool&Scanner-|- 
    Server10 Gen8 Xeon E3-1265LV2,SDM,ECC KVR1333D3E9SK2/16G, P222/512FBWC, SDM -|- 

Win7 & S2012R2: N40L ECCKVR1333D3E9SK2/8G, R640L,  Corsair60GB, TBD -|- Win8.1Update N54L G7, 4GB, HD6450, WIFI PCIe, 2*250GBVR RAID0, TBD -|-
    Desktop W8.1P64: Lian-Li PC-K9WX,Z77X-UD5H, i7-3770,32GB-RAM,OS-SamPro840-256SSD -|-
    HTPC3 W8.1P64WMC: GD05B, Z68MX-UD2H-B3, i5-2500K, 16GB G.Skill, CorsairGTX240GB -|-
    Laptop W8.1P64WMC: Acer 1810T, 4GB RAM, 256GB Crucial M4-|-

#24 dvn

dvn

HSS Elite

• Moderators
    • 1,757 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 06:31 PM

If that's the case, and the old drive still works, put it back in and run BDBB. Done deal.

#25 ikon

ikon

HSS Elite Master

• Donating Member
    • 14,247 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 06:53 PM

Thanks Joe_Miner. I was afraid I was recalling it wrong, and I was, so your clarification is great.

If you want to retain the backups then definitely try to back them up before doing the Recovery.

#26 foy1der

foy1der

HSS Pro

• Members
    • 187 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:07 PM

I wanted to fill you folks in on how my server repair is going. I have finally gotten moved into my new house and I have slowly been rebuilding the server. I ended up buying a new hard drive in order to make shifting the data around a little easier. I bought a 2TB WD Black.

So I initially tried installing WHS 2011 but that install didn't complete. I switch back to version 1, but that install wouldn't complete as well. I started getting curious about hardware so I ran Memtest. Knowing that memtest could take a while, I started the test and stood up from my desk chair. By the time I had finished standing up, Memtest had found 125 errors in my ram. After running for an hour, it was up to 20k errors (I think I found the issue). So I swapped out the ram and ran the test again to make sure it wasn't the DIMM slots.

I have also not been able to reproduce the errors that WHS was finding in the system hard drive. I will just connect that one to the server and wait for it to fail, I guess.

With fresh ram, the WHS version 1 install went very well. However I still have one issue. My notebook will not complete the WHS Connector install. When I install the connector, I get a message that I need to update the connector software (see attached). When I go through the motions to complete this process, I get an error that "This operation cannot be completed at this time". I'm hoping that someone else might have encountered an issue similar to this. I have also attached a screenshot of the failure message.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#27 ikon

ikon

HSS Elite Master

• Donating Member
    • 14,247 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:20 PM

Have you tried installing by browsing to http://<servername or IP>:55000 ??

#28 foy1der

foy1der

HSS Pro

• Members
    • 187 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:29 PM

I forgot those interesting details. When I try doing that, I get an error that the page cannot be found. When I ping "server" it fails to find the server. When I ping the server's IP address, I get a response. When I navigate to "192.168.0.190:55000" I get the connector home page. Lastly, when I download the connector install, I get the "This operation cannot be completed at this time" error.

I hope all of this isn't too confusing. Perhaps I should have made a flow chart.

#29 ikon

ikon

HSS Elite Master

• Donating Member
    • 14,247 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:44 AM

OK, so DNS is not working on your LAN - that's one issue, but not critical to getting the connector installed. Have you tried downloading the Connector installer to your client computer and running it locally?

#30 foy1der

foy1der

HSS Pro

• Members
    • 187 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:58 PM

The only way I was able to get this far was to download the connector install on a different computer and install it from a USB stick. I should also note that on my desktop was able to install the connector software properly and it is running backups. The desktop can also ping "server" properly.

#31 ikon

ikon

HSS Elite Master

• Donating Member
    • 14,247 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:27 AM

OK, stupid question: you did uninstall the Connector before trying to install it again, right? Like I said stupid question, but just to cover all the bases :)

#32 foy1der

foy1der

HSS Pro

• Members
    • 187 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:37 AM

No it's not a stupid question, I have indeed uninstalled the connector before trying to install the software.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

#33 jmwills

jmwills

HSS Genius

• Donating Member
    • 7,700 posts
    • LocationHuntsville, AL

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:55 AM

Map a shared drive over to the server

\\servername\C$ or \\ipadress\C$

and go to the software folder. The connector is in there and yes you need to remove the old connector.

Windows 7 Desktop - Antec 100 Case, Intel D8H67BL, OCZ 550W PSU, Intel i3-530 CPU w/16GB G-Skill DDR3 1333 RAM
    Server 2012 - Fractal Arc Midi, CoolerMaster M600 PSU, ASUS P8H67V, Intel i5-2500 CPU w/32GBG-Skill DDR3 1333 RAM, 90 GIG OCZ SSD OS Drive – Roles: Hyper-V (WHS-SharePoint-DC-SQL-Exchange-WSE 2012R2), Print Server - Rocket RAID 2720 4 x 3TB WD Red
    HTPC Build - Silverstone GD05 Case,x 2
    Travel Laptop: Lenovo U310 13.3" Windows 8.1

#34 jazzerjay

jazzerjay

HSS Champion

• Members
    • 372 posts
    • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:46 AM

This is a fantastic thread. Foy1der, you are a rock in my opinion, I would have probably thrown things out the second floor window by now.

#35 foy1der

foy1der

HSS Pro

• Members
    • 187 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:24 AM

One of the only things that I haven't tried yet (should have been first) is to try a wired connection.

#36 ikon

ikon

HSS Elite Master

• Donating Member
    • 14,247 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:25 AM

One of the only things that I haven't tried yet (should have been first) is to try a wired connection.

Good idea.

#37 foy1der

foy1der

HSS Pro

• Members
    • 187 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:11 PM

Here are the steps I took to fix the issue:
    1. Consume (at a minimum) two hop infused adult beverages.
    2. Connect laptop to a wired ethernet connection.
    3. Install connector software.
    4. Ask "Why didn't I do this last week?"

Thanks for all the tips guys, I think we can mark this issue closed.

Probably not though, I'll wait for a couple days of backups to run first. ;)

#38 jazzerjay

jazzerjay

HSS Champion

• Members
    • 372 posts
    • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:08 PM

Here are the steps I took to fix the issue:
    1. Consume (at a minimum) two hop infused adult beverages.
    2. Connect laptop to a wired ethernet connection.
    3. Install connector software.
    4. Ask "Why didn't I do this last week?"

Thanks for all the tips guys, I think we can mark this issue closed.

Probably not though, I'll wait for a couple days of backups to run first. ;)

Do not...I repeat, DO NOT smack your head before you have the beverages. Good luck dude...again, can't wait to hear how this turns out for you.

#39 ikon

ikon

HSS Elite Master

• Donating Member
    • 14,247 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:28 AM

Do not...I repeat, DO NOT smack your head before you have the beverages. Good luck dude...again, can't wait to hear how this turns out for you.

Agreed, not before you consume the beverages - do it after; if you've had enough of them you won't feel it ;)

#40 foy1der

foy1der

HSS Pro

• Members
    • 187 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:42 PM

OK, the beer didn't help. Well, it helped but it didn't really help. I was able to get the connector to install without too much trouble last night. After I unplugged the wired connection, I let the computer stay on over night (on a wireless connection) and it didn't create a backup.

Something that I just noticed: in the Network and Sharing Center, it says that I am connected to my new wireless SSID (Undercover Police Van #9). BUT! The desktop shows that it is connected to the old network name (Undercover Police Van #4). I feel that part of this might be some of the problem. For instance, while on a wired connection, I was able to RDP into the desktop. After trying this over wireless, I got the same errors that I had been getting earlier.

Interestingly, I cannot connect to the server using the connector software (on wired or wireless connection). I'm grasping at straws at this point.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: whsv1, system drive, failing, swap

Skins By Invisioneers