thobel

External Raid Enclosure

3 posts in this topic

I'm starting to plan ahead for when I fill up my current system and was wondering what the best solution would be

I currently have 15x2TB Hitachi Drives connected to a Areca 1261Ml Controller in Raid 6

I was wondering what hardware solution would provide at least = performance with in raid 6 for an additional 15 drives

External Case =Suggestions

Raid Card = I would like to stick wiht a high end Areca as I'm very happy my current card could use some pointers on what card since its not quite the same as doing it internal to a server.

I have never setup an external attached storage box (other then a usb drive of course) and could use any any all pointers/tips etc

The first thing I would do would be to examine your current hardware and see what you are capable of attaching (eSata, USB 3.0, etc). So many difefrent ways to attack this such as SAN, NAS, Storage Server, ,etc. So, what kind of connecitons do your server currently have and what is the network configuration?

The first thing I would do would be to examine your current hardware and see what you are capable of attaching (eSata, USB 3.0, etc). So many difefrent ways to attack this such as SAN, NAS, Storage Server, ,etc. So, what kind of connecitons do your server currently have and what is the network configuration?

Server is the WHS in my sig

WHS: Lian Li PC-A71F, Asus P8P67-Pro, Intel 2600K, 8GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600, 15x Hitachi 2TB, Areca-1261ML Raid Controller, Asetek 570LC CPU Cooler

Network is a Intel Quad ET Server Adapter setup in teaming for 4GB total

I'm not really looking to do NAS I'm looking for performance as close to te current array as I can get and I don't want to have the constant network traffic