•  

• Photo

How do I do a full image OS backup and restore?

• Please log in to reply
    10 replies to this topic

#1 thepregnantgod

thepregnantgod

HSS Member

• Members
    • 12 posts
    • LocationFlorida

Posted 01 November 2011 - 12:53 PM

I know how to access backup, built the USB key, etc. However, when trying to restore the system image to a new drive it wanted to connect to my network? The WHS2011 backup drive is internal (not external) AND not connected to a networked machine. What I want to do is just like you would if you were restoring a Win7 machine - pop in the CD/USB key, start the backup, point to the image (internal drive) and point it at the new system partition.

Is this possible in WHS2011?

#2 Bitback

Bitback

HSS Member

• Members
    • 14 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 07:46 AM

Are you talking about restoring the whs 2011 server itself?

#3 thepregnantgod

thepregnantgod

HSS Member

• Members
    • 12 posts
    • LocationFlorida

Posted 16 November 2011 - 08:57 AM

Yes, I was. Unfortunately, nothing I could do would work. I had to do a full clean install to my 60gb SSD - putting an image onto a smaller disk was an exercise in futility.

#4 Bitback

Bitback

HSS Member

• Members
    • 14 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 09:04 AM

I thought that was how the server restore worked. Boot to CD or the created 8GB USB key, point to the internal image and voila!

I'm going to have to test that before I switch over to 2011.

#5 tojoski

tojoski

HSS Pro

• Members
    • 231 posts
    • LocationMcRae, Arkansas

Posted 16 November 2011 - 09:38 AM

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the Restore Disc / USB key are for clients only.. for the server you have to use the installation disc and use the repair option to do a restore..

I did that once before, but I can't remember 100%

#6 ikon

ikon

HSS Elite Master

• Donating Member
    • 12,340 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 11:07 AM

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the Restore Disc / USB key are for clients only.. for the server you have to use the installation disc and use the repair option to do a restore..

I did that once before, but I can't remember 100%

I believe you are correct. I did it a couple of weeks ago, but I'm old, so that's a long time ago for me ;) I'm pretty sure I booted from my WHS2011 installation USB key and chose restore image.

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

#7 jmwills

jmwills

HSS Genius

• Donating Member
    • 6,945 posts
    • LocationHuntsville, AL

Posted 16 November 2011 - 11:11 AM

You can create a VHD image of the OS and store it on a separte drive. This image can be used to run a repair from if the need arises. I usually create one when the OS in installed and patched so at least I have a clean image to go back to.

Windows 7 Desktop - Antec 100 Case, Intel D8H67BL, OCZ 550W PSU, Intel i3-530 CPU w/16GB G-Skill DDR3 1333 RAM
    Server 2012 - Fractal Arc Midi, CoolerMaster M600 PSU, ASUS P8H67V, Intel i5-2500 CPU w/32GBG-Skill DDR3 1333 RAM, 90 GIG OCZ SSD OS Drive – Roles: Hyper-V (WHS-SharePoint-DC-SQL-Exchange-WSE 2012R2), Print Server - Rocket RAID 2720 4 x 3TB WD Red
    HTPC Build - Silverstone GD05 Case,x 2
    Travel Laptop: Lenovo U310 13.3" Windows 8.1

#8 ikon

ikon

HSS Elite Master

• Donating Member
    • 12,340 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 11:13 AM

I usually create one when the OS in installed and patched so at least I have a clean image to go back to.

I do this with pretty much all my computers, just so I can get back to a known, responsive configuration without having to go through all the updates and stuff.

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

#9 thepregnantgod

thepregnantgod

HSS Member

• Members
    • 12 posts
    • LocationFlorida

Posted 16 November 2011 - 11:51 AM

Yes, I learned that you have to use the installation key. The problem, I believe, is that I was trying to put an image of my system (about 30gb) originally installed to a 2TB green (read slow) disk onto a 60gb SSD. It was a nightmare. For anyone reading this, I simply suggest reinstalling the system and/or just dealing with a slow OS drive.

BTW, what is a VHD image? How can I make one?

#10 ImTheTypeOfGuy

ImTheTypeOfGuy

HSS Master

• Donating Member
    • 2,412 posts
    • LocationhOUston

Posted 16 November 2011 - 01:55 PM

You can create a VHD image of the OS and store it on a separte drive. This image can be used to run a repair from if the need arises. I usually create one when the OS in installed and patched so at least I have a clean image to go back to.

Please share how you do this. I would like to begin doing this as well.

BTW, what is a VHD image? How can I make one?

Virtual Hard Drive. It is like a snapshot of your hard drive that you can restore to.
    ITTOG

- WHS V1: Dell XPS 420; Quad Core @ 2.66 GHz; 4 GB RAM
    - S2008R2: Lian Li PC-A70F, EVGA X58 3X SLI, i7 920 @ 2.67 GHz; 12 GB RAM, 2 x 250 GB WD Black Caviar in IcyDock Enclosure with Raid 1, EVGA GeForce GT 240, 12TB RAID5
    - HTPC: Silverstone Lascala, Gigabyte GA-H55-USB3, i3 530 @ 2.93 GHz, 4 GB Ram, 60 GB OCZ Vertex 2 SSD, 12TB RAID5
    - Personal Desktop: Lian Li PC-9F, ASUS Sabertooth P67, i7 2600k @ 4.1 GHz, 16 GB RAM, 2 x 120 GB OCZ Vertex 2 SSD's in Raid 0, EVGA GTX580
    - Kids Desktop: Dell Dimension 8400 Pentium 4 560, 3.6GHz, 2 GB RAM - Lets not forget this beauty!
    - Other Devices: iPad, Boxee Box, XBox's, PS3, Wii, and HP TouchPad

#11 thepregnantgod

thepregnantgod

HSS Member

• Members
    • 12 posts
    • LocationFlorida

Posted 16 November 2011 - 02:50 PM

I use Norton Ghost 15.0 to do this - won't run on WHS2011 though. If there's an easier way to do this, I'd like to know. Thanks.

Skins By Invisioneers