No replies to this topic

#1 pcdoc

pcdoc

HSS Legend

• Moderators
    • 3,957 posts
    • LocationLos Angeles, California

Posted 16 October 2011 - 05:07 PM

Long show this week. Logitech Link, iOS5, Corsair has more new gear, and answer the question: rack or not? While helping a listener with his huge home build. AMD Bulldozer does it push Intel out of the top slot? It’s a big fat one on this weeks BYOB Podcast. Leave your suggestions for build advice on his thread.

Mike gives his opinion after reviewing the Logitech Link
    Logitech Harmony Link

iOS5 – is it all that and a bag of chips?

H2O on a budget and and SSDs if you have it to burn

Corsair announces the H40 and the H70 CORE as additions to their Hydro series of liquid coolers.
    Corsair now has their 480 GB Force GT along with both a 180GB and 480GB versions of their slightly less expensive Force Series 3 SSD’s.

We weigh in to help listener Ellesshoo out with his home network

We noticed a listener post in the forums who was looking for help organizing and consolidation of his multi-PC home network. And beg the big question all enthusiast eventually have. Do I rack it or not?
    Some links of the products we discussed:
    Rackable UPS Protection
    Standard UPS and Costco’s great deal
    Rackmount server chassis
    Lian Li Server Cases
    Fractal Server Cases
    Racks 2 post & 2/4 Post, Cheap bakers rack, More Racking options
    Xeon E3-1230 & E3-1235 CPUs
    D-link DGS line of switches
    Cisco
    KVM Switches
    Teamviewer

Post here in his thread if you have a great idea or tip for our listener!

AMD Bulldozer should just have been called Dozzzzzzer

We only give our brief impressions based on testing from some of our favorite sites. So all this conjecture is without any hands on testing, but general consensus is Bulldozer doesn’t provide the bang for the buck that AMD is known for and it performance is on par at best against Intels current popular offerings, but with Intel’s Big powerhouse SB-E on the x79 platform coming in Q1 2012 and Ivy Bridge being released shortly (we hope) thereafter. We don’t see any reason to choose AMD over Intel. No advantage in performance or price. Don’t take our word for it see what others have to say and make your own decision.
    [H]ardOCP general and gaming reviews
    PCPerspective
    AnandTECH

Edited by no-control, 16 October 2011 - 07:22 PM.
    weird linking and formatting issues.

Main Server - WHS 2011, Core I5-2500, 12T RAID 5 (5x3T) + 2T of Mirror + 2T of backup
    Second Server - 2012, Core I5-2500, 12T RAID 5
    Main Systems - Core I5-4770, 16 Gigs DDR3-1600, 180 Gig Intel 330 SSD. 240 Gig Intel 520, 3T Seagate - Other systems - Core I7-2600, 2 x Core I5-2500, Core I5-4570S, Core I3-2100, and G620

My Blog - The Doc's World
    Tablet Resource - BYOB Videos - TheBYOBPodcast

For More Information:

Computer Systems

Home Network

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: byob, byob podcast

Skins By Invisioneers