#1 StanHD

StanHD

HSS Pro

• Donating Member
    • 217 posts
    • LocationEast Sussex, UK

Posted 08 October 2011 - 10:28 AM

Problem 1:-

My wife is a photography enthusiast and loves to spend a day filling up memory cards with her Canon Eos 7D. Often we are away from home and have found a need to filter / delete the failed or scrap shots from the good ones or "keepers"

Our solution:-

We use an iPad with the camera connection kit. This makes very fast work of importing the pictures in a logical album fomat. She can then utilise the lovely iPad display to view the day's shots and maybe delete a few obvious "scrappers."

Problem 2:-

We get home and need to do a final "clean up" just keeping the good stuff, and stuff that can be edited to make good. She then needs to get these onto the WHS v1 for safe keeping, duplication, local and cloud backup.

Our solution:-

We use the recently updated FileBrowser app for iPad from Stratospherix. With this you can browse thumb nails or full screen, select which files to transfer and "copy" them to the appropriate share on the WHS which works using the SMB option that we previously defined. Folder duplication, keepvault, and WHS backup solve the keeping safe part of the equation. XBMC shows the media on the HTPC / Samsung 40", WD Tv Live on the Kitchen TV, XBMC Live on the HTPC / bedroom TV, and of course our laptop PCs direct via WHS

So we have Canon camera, Apple iPad, and Microsoft WHS V1 all playing together really well. A nice bonus with the FileBrowser is the ability to stream video and photos, as well as download to the iPad so we can show the "latest" photos to friends and family etc. when we visit them.

Works well for us, however, does anyone use other / better methods to "bridge" the different platforms and achieve a similar or better solution?

WHS 2011:- Homebuild Core i3. Rocket RAID 3 x 2TB Drives RAID 5, 1 x 1TB OS Drive, 1 x 1.5TB Backup Drive, 4Gb Ram.
    HTPC 1:- Homebuild Core i3, 4Gb Ram, BD Drive, XBMCBuntu
    HTPC 2:- Asrock Ion 330, XBMCBuntu
    WD TV Live HD
    Win 7 Laptop, iPad V1, iPad V2, iPad Mini

Workstation:- Homebuild Core I7 3770k, 16Gb RAM, BDD, SSD (OS), 1TB WD Black HDD, Nvidea GT550. Dell U2711 Monitor.Win7, Sony Vegas, Adobe Lightroom, DVDFab. 

#2 geek-accountant

geek-accountant

HSS Advanced

• Donating Member
    • 871 posts
    • LocationAtlanta Area

Posted 08 October 2011 - 08:58 PM

For me, keeping up with photos in the "field" (ie away from my desktop) means using a laptop with Lightroom. How does the iPad deal with RAW images, or are you just shooting jpeg? If just jpeg, then I guess the iPad can handle it as you mention above, however, I have to think that a laptop and Lightroom would be a more powerful solution.

The start of my worklflow at home, is to import the images off the card using a card reader and Lightroom. The shoot is given a name which is appended to the the file and the images are tagged with tags applicable to the entire shoot. Upon import, Lightroom can write the files to two locations. I send one to my desktop and the other to unRAID.

I also have SyncToy setup to copy any files from my desktop to unRAID. That directory on unRAID, along with some others, is backed up to Crashplan. Of course my desktop is also backed up to the WSS2011. Yea, I know, way to many copies. I am just a little crazy about losing any of the images.

We went over workflow some on jpeg2RAW Show #8 and I am sure this is a subject we will revisit often.
    unRAID server 18.5TB
    WSS-2011 5TB internal + 4x3TB RAID 5 Mediasonic USB 3.0 external storage
    Hyper-V server running 10 VM's(AMD 6 core with 16gig of ram - Raid 5 & Raid 0, plus USB 3 Mediasonic 4 drive enclosure)
    pfSense & Untangle (aka, SUPER ROUTER) running as seperate machines
    Broadcast server - broadcast the jpeg2RAW podcast - AMD 8 core 4Ghz, 8gig DDR3 1600, RAID 0
    [url="""]The jpeg2RAW podcast site[/url]

#3 StanHD

StanHD

HSS Pro

• Donating Member
    • 217 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 04:29 AM

For me, keeping up with photos in the "field" (ie away from my desktop) means using a laptop with Lightroom. How does the iPad deal with RAW images, or are you just shooting jpeg? If just jpeg, then I guess the iPad can handle it as you mention above, however, I have to think that a laptop and Lightroom would be a more powerful solution.

The start of my worklflow at home, is to import the images off the card using a card reader and Lightroom. The shoot is given a name which is appended to the the file and the images are tagged with tags applicable to the entire shoot. Upon import, Lightroom can write the files to two locations. I send one to my desktop and the other to unRAID.

I also have SyncToy setup to copy any files from my desktop to unRAID. That directory on unRAID, along with some others, is backed up to Crashplan. Of course my desktop is also backed up to the WSS2011. Yea, I know, way to many copies. I am just a little crazy about losing any of the images.

We went over workflow some on jpeg2RAW Show #8 and I am sure this is a subject we will revisit often.

Hi, the FileBrowser works fine with the raw files (Canon .CR2). You can view both thumb nails and full screen. Totally agree about the backup thing, never to many in my book. (oh and the fact that my life depends upon it as far as the "Boss" is concerened. :)

WHS 2011:- Homebuild Core i3. Rocket RAID 3 x 2TB Drives RAID 5, 1 x 1TB OS Drive, 1 x 1.5TB Backup Drive, 4Gb Ram.
    WD TV Live HD

Workstation:- Homebuild Core I7 3770k, 16Gb RAM, BDD, SSD (OS), 1TB WD Black HDD, Nvidea GT550. Dell U2711 Monitor.Win7, Sony Vegas, Adobe Lightroom, DVDFab. 

#4 ikon

ikon

HSS Elite Master

• Donating Member
    • 14,027 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 02:02 PM

as far as the "Boss" is concerened. :)

Otherwise known as she who much be obeyed :D

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

#5 StanHD

StanHD

HSS Pro

• Donating Member
    • 217 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 02:16 PM

Otherwise known as she who much be obeyed :D

Oh yes ! ;)

WD TV Live HD

#6 JediTim

JediTim

HSS Advanced

• Members
    • 504 posts
    • LocationLong Island, New York

Posted 10 October 2011 - 05:55 AM

I have started to use an App on the iPad called Photosmith to import the photos to while on the road. There is a Plugin for Lightroom that will then import all the photos off the iPad when I get back home. While I like the App I am waiting on one "major" update...the ability to tag multiple photos at once. This would greatly improve my workflow on the road. The App has the ability to read pretty much any RAW file as well and the developers have been very active in updating their product.

#7 ikon

ikon

HSS Elite Master

• Donating Member
    • 14,027 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 09:14 AM

I wonder if the Kindle Fire will have apps like these. If not, it could seriously impact on its popularity.

#8 geek-accountant

geek-accountant

HSS Advanced

• Donating Member
    • 871 posts
    • LocationAtlanta Area

Posted 10 October 2011 - 09:30 PM

Tim, sounds like something we can bring up on the show.

ikon, not sure if the Fire is going to need these apps to become popular. My bet is it will sell in very large numbers.
    unRAID server 18.5TB
    WSS-2011 5TB internal + 4x3TB RAID 5 Mediasonic USB 3.0 external storage
    Hyper-V server running 10 VM's(AMD 6 core with 16gig of ram - Raid 5 & Raid 0, plus USB 3 Mediasonic 4 drive enclosure)
    pfSense & Untangle (aka, SUPER ROUTER) running as seperate machines
    Broadcast server - broadcast the jpeg2RAW podcast - AMD 8 core 4Ghz, 8gig DDR3 1600, RAID 0
    [url="""]The jpeg2RAW podcast site[/url]

#9 jmwills

jmwills

HSS Genius

• Donating Member
    • 7,647 posts
    • LocationHuntsville, AL

Posted 10 October 2011 - 10:21 PM

IMO, the Fire will be the gadget to have this Christmas.

Windows 7 Desktop - Antec 100 Case, Intel D8H67BL, OCZ 550W PSU, Intel i3-530 CPU w/16GB G-Skill DDR3 1333 RAM
    Server 2012 - Fractal Arc Midi, CoolerMaster M600 PSU, ASUS P8H67V, Intel i5-2500 CPU w/32GBG-Skill DDR3 1333 RAM, 90 GIG OCZ SSD OS Drive – Roles: Hyper-V (WHS-SharePoint-DC-SQL-Exchange-WSE 2012R2), Print Server - Rocket RAID 2720 4 x 3TB WD Red
    HTPC Build - Silverstone GD05 Case,x 2
    Travel Laptop: Lenovo U310 13.3" Windows 8.1

#10 pcdoc

pcdoc

HSS Legend

• Moderators
    • 3,957 posts
    • LocationLos Angeles, California

Posted 10 October 2011 - 10:24 PM

I wonder if the Kindle Fire will have apps like these. If not, it could seriously impact on its popularity.

Even if it does, the CPU power of the iPad is significantly more powerful than that of the Fire not to mention much more storage. The fire is more of a media consumption.

Main Server - WHS 2011, Core I5-2500, 12T RAID 5 (5x3T) + 2T of Mirror + 2T of backup
    Second Server - 2012, Core I5-2500, 12T RAID 5
    Main Systems - Core I5-4770, 16 Gigs DDR3-1600, 180 Gig Intel 330 SSD. 240 Gig Intel 520, 3T Seagate - Other systems - Core I7-2600, 2 x Core I5-2500, Core I5-4570S, Core I3-2100, and G620

My Blog - The Doc's World
    Tablet Resource - BYOB Videos - TheBYOBPodcast

For More Information:

Computer Systems

Home Network

#11 ikon

ikon

HSS Elite Master

• Donating Member
    • 14,027 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 11:04 AM

Guys, I'm thinking more about excellent vs stellar sales figures here. I have no doubt that the Fire will sell really well. I'm just wondering how much better it could sell if it had the ability to do even more. Hey, at $200 I will probably get one, and I haven't owned any tablet to date; that price point is just very hard to resist.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: photo, ipad, file browser

Skins By Invisioneers