• Please log in to reply
    154 replies to this topic

#1 JerryW

JerryW

HSS Pro

• Members
    • 195 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 07:57 PM

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?app=downloads&module=display&section=screenshot&id=15

File Name: Home Server Status
    File Submitter: JerryW
    File Submitted: 28 Aug 2011
    File Updated: 28 Apr 2012
    File Category: Home Server Status
    Free or Fee?: $$$ with free trial

Home Server Status: System Requirements

• UNINSTALL ANY PREVIOUS VERSIONS FIRST!
    • Microsoft Windows Home Server 2011 Connector
    • Windows Home Server 2011
    • .NET Framework v4.0
    • Windows 7 - 32/64bit
    Home Server Status, is a program that shows the status of your Windows Home Server 2011. It allows at a quick glance to see if your server is connected to the network, if a backup is running, was successful, or unsuccessful on any client machine. It will even send status alerts to email or push notifications to your mobile device. Initially you will receive a 14 day trial. After your trial, a one-time payment of $6.95 will gain you a license for all computers, up to 10, connected to your Windows Home Server 2011.
    • Before you install Home Server Status you must have the Microsoft Windows Home Server 2011 Connector and .NET Framework v. 4.0 installed on all client machines (machines that will be running Home Server Status).
    • If the required software is not installed on the client machines, Home Server Status will not install.
    • After HSS is installed you can access the setting page by right clicking the icon on the taskbar.

* NOTE: If you receive a warning from Norton products about reputation, this is merely due to the fact that Norton’s community does not know my application. Also, other AV software such as Comodo will require that you add HSS to your trusted applications. In addition to this, please accept the firewall exception when notified, as this is needed for network alerts.

HSS Now uses an .xml file to store your settings. If you are running v2.1, your settings should move over without problem. Any version older than v2.1, you may find yourself re-entering your registration information and settings.

Home Server Status: Settings – Main\
    Posted Image
    • Your WHS Name
      • HSS will detect your server name and place it here.
    • Your WHS Remote Web URL
      • You can change the time interval that HSS checks for server connectivity here
    • Password Protect Settings
      • Enter a password if you want to secure HSS’s status page from other users. (THIS PAGE)
    • Add HSS to Windows Startup Folder
      • Starts when windows starts.
    • Use Tray Icon Instead of Taskbar
      • Places notification icons on system tray (by the clock on the taskbar).

Home Server Status: Settings – Menu Items
    Posted Image
    • Task Menu: Dashboard
      • Menu Items Screen: Show Dashboard In Menus
    • Task Menu: Wake Up Server
      • Menu Items Screen: Show WOL Server In Menus
    • Task Menu: Remote Desktop Connection
      • Menu Items Screen: Enable Additional Menu Items
      • If titles or paths are left blank (nothing is listed) items will not be shown in context menu.

Home Server Status: Settings – Backup Alerts
    Posted Image
    • Enable Alerts From Other PCs
    • Enables alerts form other computers running HSS with this option enabled to send the following alerts.
    • Backup starting
    • Backup Completed Successfully
    • Backup Completed Unsuccessfully.
    [*]Prowl API Key
    • You may obtain a free Prowl API key from http://www.prowlapp.com
    • Once signed up, go to the API keys tab, go to the Generate a new API key section and generate your API key.
    • Copy and paste the generated key in to the textbox.
    • To recieve push notification on your iOS mobile device you must purchase and install the Prowl application from the Apple App Store.
    [*]SMTP Config
    • Allows email messages to be sent of the Backup status.
    [/list]Posted ImagePosted Image

Click here to download this file

#2 jeffla

jeffla

HSS Pro

• Members
    • 137 posts
    • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 28 August 2011 - 09:01 PM

For anyone who hasn't tried HSS, download it and give it a try. It is an awesome upgrade to the OEM Connector and for me has replaced the OEM connector completely.

#3 HSS-Dave

HSS-Dave

Founder

• Administrators
    • 1,939 posts
    • LocationIndiana

Posted 28 August 2011 - 10:22 PM

Welcome to HomeServerShow forums and downloads Jerry. It's good to have you here.
    Host of The Home Server Show Podcast.
    Windows Home Server MVP 2009 - 2013 Surface MVP - 2014

#4 JerryW

JerryW

HSS Pro

• Members
    • 195 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 10:43 PM

Thanks, Jeff and Dave!! It is good to be here.

#5 texasPI

texasPI

HSS Pro

• Members
    • 222 posts
    • LocationMontgomery, AL

Posted 29 August 2011 - 05:46 PM

Looks great. I'm running the trial as we speak and I can already tell I want to purchase it. One problem: I don't use Paypal anymore. I know I can pay with a credit card without needing an account but I'd rather not have my information processed through Paypal. I had a bad experience with them a few years back and I choose to not do business with them at all.

Have you considered an alternative payment processor? I certainly don't want you to go through the trouble just for me if you have not considered it. Or maybe I can mail you a money order or cashier's check?

Gosh, I hate being a stick in the mud but that's how much I dislike Paypal! <_<
    Erik

#6 JediTim

JediTim

HSS Advanced

• Members
    • 504 posts
    • LocationLong Island, New York

Posted 30 August 2011 - 06:13 AM

I am glad to see this...I will install this one tonight.

#7 JerryW

JerryW

HSS Pro

• Members
    • 195 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 12:24 PM

Looks great. I'm running the trial as we speak and I can already tell I want to purchase it. One problem: I don't use Paypal anymore. I know I can pay with a credit card without needing an account but I'd rather not have my information processed through Paypal. I had a bad experience with them a few years back and I choose to not do business with them at all.

Have you considered an alternative payment processor? I certainly don't want you to go through the trouble just for me if you have not considered it. Or maybe I can mail you a money order or cashier's check?

Gosh, I hate being a stick in the mud but that's how much I dislike Paypal! <_<

You know, I have no real feelings toward or against PayPal. Its just the one I chose. Mainly, because I have been with them since the beginning and using with Ebay. I too have experienced some pains with PayPal. However, it would be somewhat of a task for me to switch payment methods right now. I would like to accommodate you but I would rather not start handling checks, of any kind.

Jerry

#8 ikon

ikon

HSS Elite Master

• Donating Member
    • 12,335 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 06:33 PM

I'm not at the stage where I've switched over my PC backups to 2011 (and I may just keep my v1 box running just for PC backups and nothing else). If I do move the backups over to 2011, however, you can count on me buying a copy of HSS.

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

#9 sbussinger

sbussinger

HSS 1 Post Wonder

• Members
    • 1 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 11:58 PM

Nice idea to replace the standard connector icon!

A problem though -- it really doesn't work well at other than 96 dpi screen settings. I run at 125% (what used to be called Large Fonts mode in earlier versions of Windows or 120 dpi). The dialogs are almost unusable and the backup percentages don't really fit in system tray icon.

Here's an example:
    Posted Image

#10 JerryW

JerryW

HSS Pro

• Members
    • 195 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 08:17 AM

Nice idea to replace the standard connector icon!

A problem though -- it really doesn't work well at other than 96 dpi screen settings. I run at 125% (what used to be called Large Fonts mode in earlier versions of Windows or 120 dpi). The dialogs are almost unusable and the backup percentages don't really fit in system tray icon.

Here's an example:
    Posted Image

I will look into this. I have to admit, I did not give much thought to higher-dpi. This could be something to deal with.

Jerry

Edited by JerryW, 03 September 2011 - 08:17 AM.

#11 tinkererguy

tinkererguy

HSS Pro

• Donating Member
    • 261 posts
    • LocationConnecticut

Posted 03 September 2011 - 08:42 AM

Same here, love the product! PayPal payment worked (got registration key within a few hours).

And it's so nice to see the changing tray icon during backups, and I too can now use Windows msconfig.exe to keep Microsoft LaunchPad from auto-starting with Windows.

But like JerryW, I'm also a 125% font user (family room PC hooked up to 55" screen at 1920x1080, and 15.8" laptop at 1920x1080)), so I have the same minor nit about formatting, including the font being cut off as the tray icon tries to paint the percentage complete number over it's icon.

FYI, the "Register Home Server Status" screen has similar font cut-off issues as well.
    Posted Image
    Posted Image

Edited by tinkererguy, 03 September 2011 - 08:47 AM.

Paul Braren, TinkerTry.com

#12 tinkererguy

tinkererguy

HSS Pro

• Donating Member
    • 261 posts
    • LocationConnecticut

Posted 03 September 2011 - 09:22 AM

Here's a couple more relevant screenshots.

First, here's a view of msconfig, where I stop the autostart of LaunchPad (since I seem to be able to do all the same stuff from your add-in, I don't see any good reason not to do this):
    Posted Image

Next, here's a shot that shows the font cut-off issue for the percentage complete icon overlay (when font size is at 125%):
    Posted Image

Edited by tinkererguy, 03 September 2011 - 09:26 AM.

#13 tinkererguy

tinkererguy

HSS Pro

• Donating Member
    • 261 posts
    • LocationConnecticut

Posted 03 September 2011 - 09:30 AM

I should mention that your Add-in works great with Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 Essentials, which is very much appreciated!

#14 JerryW

JerryW

HSS Pro

• Members
    • 195 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 10:19 AM

Ok, before I go and recompile a new install, will someone with the DPI issue please try the new .exe file for me? The download link is here: http://db.tt/hUt2RSs

All you need to do is replace your existing Home Server Status.exe file located in your C:\Program Files (x86)\Home Server Status folder and then run the application.

If you DO NOT have any DPI issues, ie: running at default, then no need to worry with this!

Please let me know your results, as the file will only be available for 24 hours and then will be removed.

** I do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. I want the HSS experience to be as good as I can get it.

Jerry

Edited by JerryW, 03 September 2011 - 10:22 AM.

#15 JediTim

JediTim

HSS Advanced

• Members
    • 504 posts
    • LocationLong Island, New York

Posted 03 September 2011 - 10:42 AM

Jerry...I appreciate the super fast follow-ups. Knowing any issues that come up will be handled quickly is comforting.

#16 JerryW

JerryW

HSS Pro

• Members
    • 195 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 11:23 AM

Jerry...I appreciate the super fast follow-ups. Knowing any issues that come up will be handled quickly is comforting.

Thanks, I am trying. ;-)

Jerry

#17 JerryW

JerryW

HSS Pro

• Members
    • 195 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 07:27 AM

I haven't heard from anyone regarding the updated .exe file posted above. So, I will leave the link up for an additional 24 hours so someone can download and test. It works fine on my end at different DPI and resolutions.

http://db.tt/hUt2RSs

#18 ikon

ikon

HSS Elite Master

• Donating Member
    • 12,335 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 10:34 AM

I was going to try it but my 2011 mobo seems to have died. All I get now is the AMI BIOS beep: 1 long, 3 short = memory fault. I've tried several different configs of RAM with no luck, so I guess it's the controller itself. Sigh, time to buy another mobo and processor.

Edit: nuts, no one in my area has sandy bridge i3 chips in stock.

sorry for the post hijack.

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

#19 JerryW

JerryW

HSS Pro

• Members
    • 195 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 12:55 PM

Ok folks. HSS v2.02 has been added to the download sections.

Change Log:

FIXED: DPI cosmetics (Hopefully!)

ADDED: Ability to input switches for additional menu items (Small addition but I was asked for it)

Input I have received on my end was good. So, I felt I could go ahead and release v2.02.

Have a good labor day and we will talk afterward.

Jerry

Edited by JerryW, 04 September 2011 - 01:02 PM.

#20 fredp1

fredp1

HSS Pro

• Donating Member
    • 108 posts
    • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 07 September 2011 - 05:17 PM

Hi Jerry,
    I've had the HSS app crash on me twice ver 2.02
    I'm running the app in the system tray. Started the backup last night and the icon went blue with 1% progress. All good.
    Checked it this morning and the status was green. (should be blue)
    Ran the WHS dashboard and it was still backing up at 83%.
    Clicked on the HSS icon in the tray and clicked on the "Add Icon" for Choose Your Server icon. The app froze then crashed. Windows reported a error and closed the icon in the tray.
    Restarted the HSS app and let my system continue witht he backup.
    Checked/clicked the HSS icon and it crashed.
    Here are the details

See the end of this message for details on invoking
    just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.
    ************** Exception Text **************
    System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): The operation completed successfully
    at System.Drawing.Icon.Initialize(Int32 width, Int32 height)
    at System.Drawing.Icon..ctor(SerializationInfo info, StreamingContext context)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
    mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.237 (RTMGDR.030319-2300)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
    ----------------------------------------
    Home Server Status
    Assembly Version: 2.0.2.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.2
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Home%20Server%20Status/Home%20Server%20Status.exe
    Microsoft.VisualBasic
    Assembly Version: 10.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 10.0.30319.1 built by: RTMRel
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/v4.0_10.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
    System
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.236 built by: RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
    System.Core
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.233 built by: RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
    System.Windows.Forms
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.235 built by: RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
    System.Drawing
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1 built by: RTMRel
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
    System.Runtime.Remoting
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1 (RTMRel.030319-0100)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
    System.Configuration
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
    System.Xml
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
    Microsoft.WindowsAPICodePack.Shell
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Home%20Server%20Status/Microsoft.WindowsAPICodePack.Shell.DLL
    Microsoft.WindowsAPICodePack
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Home%20Server%20Status/Microsoft.WindowsAPICodePack.DLL
    PresentationCore
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_64/PresentationCore/v4.0_4.0.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35/PresentationCore.dll
    WindowsBase
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/WindowsBase/v4.0_4.0.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35/WindowsBase.dll
    BackupClientProvider
    Assembly Version: 6.1.0.0
    Win32 Version: 6.1.8800.16385 (hsbs_colorado.110302-1330)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Home%20Server%20Status/BackupClientProvider.DLL
    PresentationFramework
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.233
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/PresentationFramework/v4.0_4.0.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35/PresentationFramework.dll
    System.Xaml
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xaml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xaml.dll
    BackupUtil
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Home%20Server%20Status/BackupUtil.DLL
    ProviderFramework
    Win32 Version: 6.1.1839.0 (common_v1.110120-1200)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/ProviderFramework/v4.0_6.1.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35/ProviderFramework.dll
    WssgCommon
    Win32 Version: 6.1.1840.0 (common_v1.110301-1740)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/WssgCommon/v4.0_6.1.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35/WssgCommon.dll
    Sku
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Windows%20Server/Bin/sku.dll
    System.ServiceModel
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.ServiceModel/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.ServiceModel.dll
    SMDiagnostics
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/SMDiagnostics/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/SMDiagnostics.dll
    System.Runtime.DurableInstancing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.DurableInstancing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35/System.Runtime.DurableInstancing.dll
    System.Runtime.Serialization
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Serialization/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Serialization.dll
    CertManaged
    Win32 Version: 6.1.8800.16389 (colorado_qfe.110302-1330)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/CertManaged/v4.0_6.1.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35/CertManaged.dll
    WssgCertMgmt
    Win32 Version: 6.1.1839.0 (common_v1.110120-1200)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/WssgCertMgmt/v4.0_6.1.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35/WssgCertMgmt.dll
    System.IdentityModel
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.IdentityModel/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.IdentityModel.dll
    Common
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Common/v4.0_6.1.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35/Common.dll
    IdentityManaged
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Windows%20Server/Bin/IdentityManaged.DLL
    ************** JIT Debugging **************
    To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
    application or computer (machine.config) must have the
    jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
    The application must also be compiled with debugging
    enabled.
    For example:
    <configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
    </configuration>
    When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
    will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
    rather than be handled by this dialog box.

I can get you the event log from this morning if it helps?
    WHS 2011 Build - Fractel R3 Case, Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD7-B3 MOBO, Corsair AX-750 PSU, Intel i5-2500K CPU w/8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1333 RAM, ATI X300 series video, Dell Perc H700 Raid with 1Gb Cache. OS RAID 1 on twin Seagate Momentus 5400.6 SATA 3Gb/s 500Gb 2.5" Drives. Data is configured with 3 Seagate Barracuda Green 2Tb 5900 RPM drives in a RAID 5 configuration.

Main Desktop - Dell XPS 8300, ATI HD5700 series video, Intel i7-2600 CPU w/12GB RAM, Win 7-64 bit Home Preminum
    Main Laptop - Dell Lattitude E5520, i5, 8Gb Ram, Win 7- 64bit Pro
    Kids Desktop - Dell 8400, ATI HD5700 series, Win XP
    Kids Laptop1 - Dell Lattitude, Win 7- 64 Bit Ultimate
    Kids Laptop2 - Dell Inspiron, WIn 7- 64 Bit Home premium

Skins By Invisioneers