14 replies to this topic

#1 jvk

jvk

HSS Pro

• Members
    • 212 posts
    • LocationSan Diego

Posted 23 August 2011 - 11:36 PM

This error message has been popping up lately. I login to the dashboard and the backup status of the computers is "unknown" and there are no backups listed, YIKES! I then remote into the Server and check the services and find the one that is listed in the error message and sure enough it is not running. I manually start the service and the error message does not go away. I then re-open the services window on the server and the service has stopped again which basically breaks the backup of my computers. Has anyone seen this issue before? Basically I can't backup my computers anymore.

jvk

#2 jvk

jvk

HSS Pro

• Members
    • 212 posts
    • LocationSan Diego

Posted 23 August 2011 - 11:42 PM

Oh I forgot to mention that this issue appeared before update Rollup 1 and it still is an issue after UR1. Also re-booting has no effect on this problem either, bummer...

jvk

#3 jmwills

jmwills

HSS Genius

• Donating Member
    • 7,591 posts
    • LocationHuntsville, AL

Posted 23 August 2011 - 11:42 PM

V1 or 2011. If V1, then yes I have seen it on an HP server my son has but not on either of the 2011 servers we have or the Acer v1 we have too. (no wise cracks about the number of servers either). On the HP, most of the time a simple starting of the service will suffice but once or twice in two months I have had to reboot it.

I set up an alert via email to warn me as it happened again yesterday.

Edit:

We were posting at the same time.....have not seen this on my 2011 boxes.

Windows 7 Desktop - Antec 100 Case, Intel D8H67BL, OCZ 550W PSU, Intel i3-530 CPU w/16GB G-Skill DDR3 1333 RAM
    Server 2012 - Fractal Arc Midi, CoolerMaster M600 PSU, ASUS P8H67V, Intel i5-2500 CPU w/32GBG-Skill DDR3 1333 RAM, 90 GIG OCZ SSD OS Drive – Roles: Hyper-V (WHS-SharePoint-DC-SQL-Exchange-WSE 2012R2), Print Server - Rocket RAID 2720 4 x 3TB WD Red
    HTPC Build - Silverstone GD05 Case,x 2
    Travel Laptop: Lenovo U310 13.3" Windows 8.1

#4 jvk

jvk

HSS Pro

• Members
    • 212 posts
    • LocationSan Diego

Posted 24 August 2011 - 09:36 AM

No wise cracks here, I totally understand :) This is a 2011 WHS box (the Mona Server). I tried restarting the service but it does not stay started. I then reboot the system and that does not work either. I would set up an alert, but it is always down so it wouldn't help much. I am also can't get the Windows Phone 7 addin to work on my server now either. Maybe I'll uninstall that addin and see if it helps (it is the only addin that I am running now).

jvk

#5 jeffla

jeffla

HSS Pro

• Members
    • 137 posts
    • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 24 August 2011 - 10:54 AM

I had the same problem last week. I wish I knew how to fix it but I don't. It was one of several issues plaguing my 2011 build so in the end, after many failed server restores (backups backed up a bad os) I did a fresh install. Hopefully this issue won't return. FWIW I don't have any add-ins running, but I do have Subsonic and WebcamXP running as services. I also had PS3MS but not with this install.

#6 jvk

jvk

HSS Pro

• Members
    • 212 posts
    • LocationSan Diego

Posted 24 August 2011 - 10:58 AM

I had the same problem last week. I wish I knew how to fix it but I don't. It was one of several issues plaguing my 2011 build so in the end, after many failed server restores (backups backed up a bad os) I did a fresh install. Hopefully this issue won't return. FWIW I don't have any add-ins running, but I do have Subsonic and WebcamXP running as services. I also had PS3MS but not with this install.

Bummer... I forgot to mention that I also have loaded SQL Server 2008 onto this machine. This should be an issue though since this standard server software... nothing ground breaking but worth mentioning.

jvk

#7 msawyer91

msawyer91

HSS Pro

• Donating Member
    • 150 posts
    • LocationShelby Township, MI, USA

Posted 24 August 2011 - 03:01 PM

If you can provide error details from the event logs, that would help troubleshoot further. While I haven't yet installed WHS 2011, I was having some difficulties with the backup service in v1 (which I have resolved). I've seen WHS say that the backup service isn't running, when in reality the Windows service named WHS Computer Backup is actually running. This is usually the case when my server reboots and one of the USB hubs doesn't reset correctly, so the server comes back up with 4 drives missing. The service is running, but the health message says that it is not. Resetting the hub (unplug, and plug back in) causes the error to vanish immediately.

In your case, the service itself is not running, which is usually an indication the process itself is crashing. So your event logs should show application crashes, which may shed some light.

Here's an example of an error you might see. Again, this is from WHS v1 but it should illustrate the point: "Unexpected error 0x6 from CreateFile on D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}\{38BEFB10-ED3F-4681-A3DE-DB5789B78A93}.Machine.configdat: The handle is invalid."
    Matt Sawyer
    Owner, Dojo North Software, LLC

#8 timekills

timekills

HSS Advanced

• Donating Member
    • 865 posts
    • LocationFort Bliss (hah), Tejas

Posted 24 August 2011 - 08:18 PM

I had the same issue. Can't prove it, but I'm almost certain is a conflict with SQL server because it only happened (and it has happened a couple times to me now) after installing MM4. Once I uninstalled MM4, and more importantly SQL Server and all associated SQL apps, I was able to restart the service and it continued to run. It's been a while since I got the error, and it hasn't happened at all since I built my new machine (more on that in a moment) but I believe the only permanent fix if I wanted to run MM4 was a reinstall of WHS 2011.

What is interesting is I was seeing this intermittently with my old server, either straight up on the i3 530 or when virtualized, but since building the new virtual WHS 2011 I haven't seen it. Knock on wood. Still don't really believe that has anything to do with it, as the only way before to get the service restarted and stay started was removing SQL from the box.

I had the same issue. Can't prove it, but I'm almost certain is a conflict with SQL server because it only happened (and it has happened a couple times to me now) after installing MM4. Once I uninstalled MM4, and more importantly SQL Server and all associated SQL apps, I was able to restart the service and it continued to run. It's been a while since I got the error, and it hasn't happened at all since I built my new machine (more on that in a moment) but I believe the only permanent fix if I wanted to run MM4 was a reinstall of WHS 2011.

What is interesting is I was seeing this intermittently with my old server, either straight up on the i3 530 or when virtualized, but since building the new virtual WHS 2011 I haven't seen it. Knock on wood. Still don't really believe that has anything to do with it, as the only way before to get the service restarted and stay started was removing SQL from the box.

#9 msawyer91

msawyer91

HSS Pro

• Donating Member
    • 150 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 08:30 PM

I can't help but wonder if SQL and the WHS 2011 backup service aren't competing for the same resource(s). It's kind of like IIS -- if something is using port 80 or 443, you can't spin up another site using those same ports, unless you start getting clever with binding to specific network adapters or using host headers so that multiple web applications can be using the same ports.

The most well-known SQL Server port is 1433, but when you use named instances, you start getting dynamically chosen ports. Analysis and Reporting Services also get ports. If any of these conflicts with the backup service, whichever service starts first "wins" and the other loses out. If it can't bind the port/resource, it may simply throw up its hands and give up.
    Matt Sawyer

#10 jvk

jvk

HSS Pro

• Members
    • 212 posts
    • LocationSan Diego

Posted 24 August 2011 - 08:36 PM

If you can provide error details from the event logs, that would help troubleshoot further.

Here is something I pulled from the logs...

Level Date and Time Source Event ID Task Category
    Error 8/24/2011 7:09:11 PM Windows Server 271 Backup The Windows Server Client Computer Backup Service encountered the following error: Error code: 0x17 API name: ReadFile File: F:\ServerFolders\Client Computer Backups\S-1-5-21-2228316777-1881695792-1803938703-1029.VolumeConfig.configdat Error: Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

What I am trying now it to migrate my client computer backups folder to a different drive that I have in my server. This drive is completely empty and if this works, maybe I'll use that as my client backup only drive. Will post results...

I had the same issue. Can't prove it, but I'm almost certain is a conflict with SQL server because it only happened (and it has happened a couple times to me now) after installing MM4.

Yikes, hopefully it was something with MyMovies and not the SQL database. I believe SQL Server is bundled with some versions of Small Business Server, which is basically Windows Home Server with the Media stuff removed. Removing SQL will be my last option and hopefully it doesn't come to that. Bummer.

jvk

The most well-known SQL Server port is 1433, but when you use named instances, you start getting dynamically chosen ports. Analysis and Reporting Services also get ports. If any of these conflicts with the backup service, whichever service starts first "wins" and the other loses out. If it can't bind the port/resource, it may simply throw up its hands and give up.

I manually opened up port 1433 and another port for Analysis Services when I installed SQL on WHS. I opened them up so I could interact with them in MS Excel. I guess I could close them and see if that helps, but it is hard for me to believe that there would be a conflict since Microsoft bundles SQL Server with certain versions of Small Business Server (basically WHS).

Thanks for everyone's insight, greatly appreciated.

jvk

#11 jvk

jvk

HSS Pro

• Members
    • 212 posts
    • LocationSan Diego

Posted 25 August 2011 - 09:33 AM

Ok so i have fineally got this running, I first tried to migrate the location of the Client backups folder to a different drive and it kept bombing out, I would restart the service and use the "trouble shoot issue" button and try to migrate again, but no luck. I resorted to deleting all contents of the client backup folder which wiped out the backup database (I put it in the recycle bin incase I needed to undo the delete). I then moved the folder to a different drive. Then restarted the service. I have two client PCs, one was ok in the dashboard, the other was messed up, so I removed the computer from the server, un-installed the addin on the client and then re-installed it. Pheew, that was alot of steps. This morning i checked and both PCs backed up successfully and the service did not stop running. I think something got corrupted in the backup database. At any rate its running now, altought my server backup is taking very long this morning.

jvk

#12 msawyer91

msawyer91

HSS Pro

• Donating Member
    • 150 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 02:36 PM

Ok so i have fineally got this running, I first tried to migrate the location of the Client backups folder to a different drive and it kept bombing out, I would restart the service and use the "trouble shoot issue" button and try to migrate again, but no luck. I resorted to deleting all contents of the client backup folder which wiped out the backup database (I put it in the recycle bin incase I needed to undo the delete). I then moved the folder to a different drive. Then restarted the service. I have two client PCs, one was ok in the dashboard, the other was messed up, so I removed the computer from the server, un-installed the addin on the client and then re-installed it. Pheew, that was alot of steps. This morning i checked and both PCs backed up successfully and the service did not stop running. I think something got corrupted in the backup database. At any rate its running now, altought my server backup is taking very long this morning.

jvk

If you moved, deleted, etc. the backup database, then WHS will have to rebuild the backup database from scratch. That will take significantly longer. Removing and rejoining a computer to WHS will also take longer on that first backup. The long and short of it is that first backups always take longer.
    Matt Sawyer

#13 jbinmn

jbinmn

HSS 1 Post Wonder

• Members
    • 1 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 09:18 AM

This is a troubling issue that I've now experienced with BOTH WHS 2011 and SBS 2011 Essentials. I was not able to resolve it short of reinstalling either product. Things that I've tried after searching the web and finding many others are experiencing this same issue include repairing .NET 4.0, uninstalling and reinstalling .NET 4.0 (I don't recommend doing this - you will have to rebuild the entire server), installing Live messenger sign-on components, etc. This MS knowledge base though, leads me to believe the root of the issue is drive related: http://support.micro....com/kb/946339.

My environment consists of a Drobo drive connected as per the discussions on HomeServerShow. I am currently trying to move my backups off the Drobo and onto an internal drive - I simply pulled one of the drives out of the Drobo and installed it in my server. I hadn't thought of doing that until reading this thread. However, once I do that, the backups won't be on my raid array. I'm also wondering what will happen with the other WHS folders (user, media, pictures) that I "moved" from an internal drive to my Drobo. Anyone have any ideas?

I'm also interested in more specifics in regards to how others resolve this issue or what really is the root cause, if found.

Thanks!

#14 ikon

ikon

HSS Elite Master

• Donating Member
    • 13,848 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 10:34 AM

Level Date and Time Source Event ID Task Category
    Error 8/24/2011 7:09:11 PM Windows Server 271 Backup The Windows Server Client Computer Backup Service encountered the following error: Error code: 0x17 API name: ReadFile File: F:\ServerFolders\Client Computer Backups\S-1-5-21-2228316777-1881695792-1803938703-1029.VolumeConfig.configdat Error: Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

This MS knowledge base though, leads me to believe the root of the issue is drive related: http://support.micro....com/kb/946339.

The first thing that struck me on reading the error msg was that it might be drive related. That could be a lot of things of course, like timing for instance. It could be that the drive has a weak area that is causing it to re-read a bunch of times and take too long to return the data, so the app times out and crashes. Weird errors like this are 1 reason I spinrite every drive before it goes into production.

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

#15 THZ

THZ

HSS Member

• Members
    • 18 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 04:01 AM

Same issue for me: after starting a backup of my client, it terminates reaching 1%, as the Windows Server Client Computer Backup Service stopped running without error message. Manually starting it again and starting a new backup leads to the same issue. This happens to me since I replaced my system drive (SATA) with a new SSD. I moved the server folder for the client backups on my secondary drive, a 1000GB SATA drive.

Edited by THZ, 08 September 2011 - 04:01 AM.

Skins By Invisioneers