• Please log in to reply
    22 replies to this topic

#1 rheo

rheo

HSS 1 Post Wonder

• Members
    • 2 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 09:17 PM

i am running windows home server 2011. I have the remote access web interface working and can successfully connect to my client computers via remote desktop by clicking on the icon from the web interface. works great.

is there a way to connect to the actual windows home server or indeed other hosts running windows server 2008 r2 using this ts gateway?

#2 timekills

timekills

HSS Advanced

• Donating Member
    • 830 posts
    • LocationFort Bliss (hah), Tejas

Posted 21 July 2011 - 09:34 PM

i am running windows home server 2011. I have the remote access web interface working and can successfully connect to my client computers via remote desktop by clicking on the icon from the web interface. works great.

is there a way to connect to the actual windows home server or indeed other hosts running windows server 2008 r2 using this ts gateway?

One of the RDP icons should be the WHS; if nothing else it at least should appear. I can remote into my Server 2K8R2 because my WHS2011 is a virtualized OS on the Server 2k8R2 host, and I've installed the connector on the host. Yes, the host is connected to the guest server, but that allows just what you are asking - RDP via web interface into the host OS.

EDIT: I slap myself - the "RDP" into the WHS is simply the Dashboard access. I forgot I used the RDP into the Server2K8R2, and then accessed the WHS 2011 via Hyper-V manager from there. So the RDP in Server 2K8R2 via WHS 2011 is fine, but to itself is Dashboard access only.

Edited by timekills, 21 July 2011 - 09:37 PM.

#3 rheo

rheo

HSS 1 Post Wonder

• Members
    • 2 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 09:40 PM

Great. my whs 2011 is running in hyper-v too. i didn't know i could install the connector software on the windows server 2008 r2 host. i will try it! thanks

Tim

Edited by rheo, 21 July 2011 - 09:41 PM.

#4 timekills

timekills

HSS Advanced

• Donating Member
    • 830 posts
    • LocationFort Bliss (hah), Tejas

Posted 21 July 2011 - 09:46 PM

I used to install the connector software from my virtualized WHSv1 on the Server 2008R2 host; I didn't originally install the connector software from WHS 2011 into the host since I could just access the shared drives until I realized it made for a relatively easy web access doing exactly what you are asking. It does tell you that it is "not supported" but it will work, if you don't mind installing the .NET 4.0 bloatware. I had to access it via the "connect to more computers" link since the main page only shows three systems including the WHS 2011 box, but when you click that link I get the choices in the image below:

Posted Image

I blacked out the names but you can plainly see the Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard as the second (and available!) choice.

Edited by timekills, 21 July 2011 - 10:01 PM.

#5 ImTheTypeOfGuy

ImTheTypeOfGuy

HSS Master

• Donating Member
    • 2,412 posts
    • LocationhOUston

Posted 22 July 2011 - 05:14 AM

What, W7 Home Premium is not supported for backups? That is crazy.

Why not just remote into one of the desktops and then RDP from the desktop into the server? Another option, which would be better if it works, is to install Windows Live Mesh on s2008r2.
    ITTOG

- WHS V1: Dell XPS 420; Quad Core @ 2.66 GHz; 4 GB RAM
    - S2008R2: Lian Li PC-A70F, EVGA X58 3X SLI, i7 920 @ 2.67 GHz; 12 GB RAM, 2 x 250 GB WD Black Caviar in IcyDock Enclosure with Raid 1, EVGA GeForce GT 240, 12TB RAID5
    - HTPC: Silverstone Lascala, Gigabyte GA-H55-USB3, i3 530 @ 2.93 GHz, 4 GB Ram, 60 GB OCZ Vertex 2 SSD, 12TB RAID5
    - Personal Desktop: Lian Li PC-9F, ASUS Sabertooth P67, i7 2600k @ 4.1 GHz, 16 GB RAM, 2 x 120 GB OCZ Vertex 2 SSD's in Raid 0, EVGA GTX580
    - Kids Desktop: Dell Dimension 8400 Pentium 4 560, 3.6GHz, 2 GB RAM - Lets not forget this beauty!
    - Other Devices: iPad, Boxee Box, XBox's, PS3, Wii, and HP TouchPad

#6 gcoupe

gcoupe

HSS Pro

• Members
    • 240 posts
    • LocationNetherlands

Posted 22 July 2011 - 05:27 AM

Nope - it's just not supported for remote access via the WHS Web site. That's always been the case, from the days of WHS v1.

Edited by gcoupe, 22 July 2011 - 05:29 AM.

#7 ikon

ikon

HSS Elite Master

• Donating Member
    • 12,335 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 07:25 AM

Why not just remote into one of the desktops and then RDP from the desktop into the server? Another option, which would be better if it works, is to install Windows Live Mesh on s2008r2.

It IS supported for backups, but not for remote access. I agree it's rediculous; they call it Windows Home Server but you can't remote into Windows 7 Home Premium. Lunacy.

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

#8 ImTheTypeOfGuy

ImTheTypeOfGuy

HSS Master

• Donating Member
    • 2,412 posts
    • LocationhOUston

Posted 22 July 2011 - 11:09 AM

Nope - it's just not supported for remote access via the WHS Web site. That's always been the case, from the days of WHS v1.

I didn't catch the backup part. It is still crazy though.
    ITTOG

- WHS V1: Dell XPS 420; Quad Core @ 2.66 GHz; 4 GB RAM
    - S2008R2: Lian Li PC-A70F, EVGA X58 3X SLI, i7 920 @ 2.67 GHz; 12 GB RAM, 2 x 250 GB WD Black Caviar in IcyDock Enclosure with Raid 1, EVGA GeForce GT 240, 12TB RAID5
    - HTPC: Silverstone Lascala, Gigabyte GA-H55-USB3, i3 530 @ 2.93 GHz, 4 GB Ram, 60 GB OCZ Vertex 2 SSD, 12TB RAID5
    - Personal Desktop: Lian Li PC-9F, ASUS Sabertooth P67, i7 2600k @ 4.1 GHz, 16 GB RAM, 2 x 120 GB OCZ Vertex 2 SSD's in Raid 0, EVGA GTX580
    - Kids Desktop: Dell Dimension 8400 Pentium 4 560, 3.6GHz, 2 GB RAM - Lets not forget this beauty!
    - Other Devices: iPad, Boxee Box, XBox's, PS3, Wii, and HP TouchPad

#9 gcoupe

gcoupe

HSS Pro

• Members
    • 240 posts
    • LocationNetherlands

Posted 22 July 2011 - 11:28 AM

I didn't catch the backup part. It is still crazy though.

To Quote Francis Urquhart, "you might very well think that. I couldn't possibly comment"

#10 DJMatty

DJMatty

HSS 1 Post Wonder

• Members
    • 4 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 11:43 PM

You can adjust WHS2011 to allow you direct RDP access to the server rather than the desktop by modifying a reg setting, details here:

http://blog.djmatty.com/?p=366

Cheers

Matt

#11 ikon

ikon

HSS Elite Master

• Donating Member
    • 12,335 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 07:33 AM

You can adjust WHS2011 to allow you direct RDP access to the server rather than the desktop by modifying a reg setting, details here:

http://blog.djmatty.com/?p=366

Cheers

Matt

This is confusing me. When I RDP into my WHS2011 it always takes me to the desktop, always has. There is a disclaimer on the desktop stating that I shouldn't use the computer for general computing, but I get that when I'm working directly on the WHS as well. I don't recall ever having the Dashboard come up automatically.

#12 DJMatty

DJMatty

HSS 1 Post Wonder

• Members
    • 4 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 03:22 PM

@ikon, if you use the Remote Web Access site via the internet to 'connect' to the home server machine itself (not one of the client computers) the default RDP session it creates will only show the dashboard app, rather than the server desktop. The reg setting will disable that 'feature' and connect directly to the desktop of the server. This means you do not have to open the RDP ports through the firewall onto the internet, as the server uses RDP over http for those sessions.

You, I assume, are using the rdp client directly to the server, which will connect you directly to the desktop.

#13 jmwills

jmwills

HSS Genius

• Donating Member
    • 6,945 posts
    • LocationHuntsville, AL

Posted 11 November 2011 - 03:23 PM

I believe everyone is referring to the RDP connection from the Dashboard. A normal RDP connection through Term Services would take you to the remote desktop. I do know the RDP connection from the SBS 2011 (not essentials) will act like a true RDP connection.

I need to look at that Registry Entry and see what the properties are.

Windows 7 Desktop - Antec 100 Case, Intel D8H67BL, OCZ 550W PSU, Intel i3-530 CPU w/16GB G-Skill DDR3 1333 RAM
    Server 2012 - Fractal Arc Midi, CoolerMaster M600 PSU, ASUS P8H67V, Intel i5-2500 CPU w/32GBG-Skill DDR3 1333 RAM, 90 GIG OCZ SSD OS Drive – Roles: Hyper-V (WHS-SharePoint-DC-SQL-Exchange-WSE 2012R2), Print Server - Rocket RAID 2720 4 x 3TB WD Red
    HTPC Build - Silverstone GD05 Case,x 2
    Travel Laptop: Lenovo U310 13.3" Windows 8.1

#14 DJMatty

DJMatty

HSS 1 Post Wonder

• Members
    • 4 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 03:25 PM

To save a bit of time, i'll post the important bit of the info here :)

"After using dotpeek to dig around in the rdp assemblies, I noticed that it is checking a reg value when it builds the rdp file, and if the value is not set (or is 0) it adds an app alias to the dashboard. The name of this value is “EnableServerRemoteDesktop”. So, I opened reg edit and added a DWORD value at “HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows Server\RDP” with the aforementioned name, and set it’s value to 1, and reconnected to the WHS machine from the remote web page."

#15 ikon

ikon

HSS Elite Master

• Donating Member
    • 12,335 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 03:42 PM

@ikon, if you use the Remote Web Access site via the internet to 'connect' to the home server machine itself (not one of the client computers) the default RDP session it creates will only show the dashboard app, rather than the server desktop. The reg setting will disable that 'feature' and connect directly to the desktop of the server. This means you do not have to open the RDP ports through the firewall onto the internet, as the server uses RDP over http for those sessions.

You, I assume, are using the rdp client directly to the server, which will connect you directly to the desktop.

Annnnd, my confusion is cleared up. Thx. I never use the web access feature; didn't use it on v1 either. I looked at it, but that was all; couldn't see the point of it really when I have real RDP available.

#16 DJMatty

DJMatty

HSS 1 Post Wonder

• Members
    • 4 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 04:01 PM

@ikon, yeah if you have the rdp ports opened through the firewall it's less necessary... but with WHS2011 its great for rdp access when you are behind a proxy/firewall that doesn't allow anything other http/https (like my work), I can still rdp into all my boxes at home via the remote web access site.

Before WHS2011, i had to use some arcane SSH magic to tunnel rdp sessions through HTTPS to my server :)

#17 ikon

ikon

HSS Elite Master

• Donating Member
    • 12,335 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 04:28 PM

@ikon, yeah if you have the rdp ports opened through the firewall it's less necessary... but with WHS2011 its great for rdp access when you are behind a proxy/firewall that doesn't allow anything other http/https (like my work), I can still rdp into all my boxes at home via the remote web access site.

Before WHS2011, i had to use some arcane SSH magic to tunnel rdp sessions through HTTPS to my server :)

Sounds painful. At work I can use RDP and, by the time they get around to changing it, I'll probably be retired ;)

#18 Paul at QuaarQ Technology

Paul at QuaarQ Technology

HSS 1 Post Wonder

• Members
    • 3 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 11:55 AM

The Problem for me was:
    Being that ‘Server Manager’ is the biggest set up option in the WHS software I used it to set up the users in a somewhat geeky and correct way I thought.
    However there is a bug. Users set up in Server Manager is not seen in ‘Dashboard’. If one tries to setup the users in Dashboard, not seen in Dashboard, entered in Server Manager, it won’t let you because it tells you thoses users are already existing – even though they cannot be seen in Dashboard.

The answer is delete them from Server Manager and reset them up in Dashboard – Remote Web Access then worked fine for me.

#19 ikon

ikon

HSS Elite Master

• Donating Member
    • 12,335 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 12:24 PM

I guess that's why they have that warning post on the desktop of the default RDP screen :)

#20 Paul at QuaarQ Technology

Paul at QuaarQ Technology

HSS 1 Post Wonder

• Members
    • 3 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 05:17 PM

Not seen that!

Skins By Invisioneers