6 replies to this topic

#1 geek-accountant

geek-accountant

HSS Advanced

• Donating Member
    • 871 posts
    • LocationAtlanta Area

Posted 10 July 2011 - 07:51 PM

In another podcast (not sure what the etiquette is concerning other podcast, so sorry if I shouldn't mention it), we discussed Andrew Morris's (unrealshots here on the forums) method of taking panorama photos. He puts the camera in rapid fire mode and just fires away while panning the camera. You then bring in the images to Photoshop and let it sort out all the blending. I have never tried this before. Any time I did pano's, I used a tripod and carefully made sure i got overlapped images and tried to keep the camera level as it panned.

So I went out today and gave it a try. I turned the camera to the vertical position so I would get more vertical data started firing away. Then I brought the images home and loaded them into Photoshop. There were 30 images in the pano!!! Took the computer a bit to process and I was glad I accidentally picked up the D2h (4mp) rather than my D2x (12mp+) when I headed out the door. If I had know it was going to be 30 images, I would have switched in JPEG mode also.

Anyway, while not a particularly interesting pano, the method did work. Shooting vertical was a good idea because I did have to crop more than usual due to the hand-holding.

Here is the shot.

Posted Image
    unRAID server 18.5TB
    WSS-2011 5TB internal + 4x3TB RAID 5 Mediasonic USB 3.0 external storage
    Hyper-V server running 10 VM's(AMD 6 core with 16gig of ram - Raid 5 & Raid 0, plus USB 3 Mediasonic 4 drive enclosure)
    pfSense & Untangle (aka, SUPER ROUTER) running as seperate machines
    Broadcast server - broadcast the jpeg2RAW podcast - AMD 8 core 4Ghz, 8gig DDR3 1600, RAID 0
    [url="""]The jpeg2RAW podcast site[/url]

#2 HSS-Dave

HSS-Dave

Founder

• Administrators
    • 2,031 posts
    • LocationIndiana

Posted 10 July 2011 - 08:01 PM

Looks great! Do you have a link to a nice tutorial on that photoshop process? I need to try this with my property. Love the clean look of this shot.
    Host of The Home Server Show Podcast.
    Windows Home Server MVP 2009 - 2013 Surface MVP - 2014

#3 geek-accountant

geek-accountant

HSS Advanced

• Donating Member
    • 871 posts
    • LocationAtlanta Area

Posted 10 July 2011 - 08:08 PM

All I did was select all 30 images in Lightroom, right click, chose "Edit In" and then chose "Merge to Panorama in Photoshop". Photoshop does the rest. It does take a while to process and I would recommend taking the photos in jpeg mode (unless you really want high quality and are going to make prints). You also need decent light and a decent shutter speed. My shutter speed was over 1/1000.

Tutorials, yea I have a long list of ones I am working on. :(
    unRAID server 18.5TB
    Hyper-V server running 10 VM's(AMD 6 core with 16gig of ram - Raid 5 & Raid 0, plus USB 3 Mediasonic 4 drive enclosure)
    Broadcast server - broadcast the jpeg2RAW podcast - AMD 8 core 4Ghz, 8gig DDR3 1600, RAID 0

#4 ikon

ikon

HSS Elite Master

• Donating Member
    • 13,530 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 11:26 AM

Wonder how this would work for multi-row panos? Does LR/PS even handle multi-row?

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

#5 geek-accountant

geek-accountant

HSS Advanced

• Donating Member
    • 871 posts
    • LocationAtlanta Area

Posted 13 July 2011 - 05:45 PM

Good question. I had a lot of other things running on the PC at the time so it really isn't a good judge, but with the 30 images in the above shot, Photoshop struggled. The shot didn't need 30 images and I could have reduced that if I would have shot differently or only selected the images needed to build the pano. My bet is if you can send the images to Photoshop and it can figure out the placement, then you should be able to do multi row.

I guess now I have something else to try.
    unRAID server 18.5TB

#6 JediTim

JediTim

HSS Advanced

• Members
    • 504 posts
    • LocationLong Island, New York

Posted 22 July 2011 - 11:12 AM

Wonder how this would work for multi-row panos? Does LR/PS even handle multi-row?

If you are talking about multi-row as in tiles where you have pictures not only from side to side and above / below it would work. Just remember...the more photos you add to the pano the longer it will take. You should also try to set the camera to manual and attempt to take at the same exposure.

#7 ikon

ikon

HSS Elite Master

• Donating Member
    • 13,530 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 12:16 PM

If you are talking about multi-row as in tiles where you have pictures not only from side to side and above / below it would work. Just remember...the more photos you add to the pano the longer it will take. You should also try to set the camera to manual and attempt to take at the same exposure.

Thanks for the reply; overlapping photos both vertical and horizontal is exactly what I was talking about; good to know PS can do it. I think it could really help avoid having finished shots that are too short top-to-bottom.

As far as exposure is concerned, I always do set the camera to a fixed aperature and shutter speed, to help the software with the blending.

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

Skins By Invisioneers