• Please log in to reply
    21 replies to this topic

#1 CaptainKirk

CaptainKirk

HSS 1 Post Wonder

• Members
    • 9 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 09:51 PM

My system has 3 PC's so far with WHS 2011 client software installed. 2 out of the 3 show as offline while on and have not had a successful backup yet(2 weeks running). When I go into Services and turn on the WHS services needed the computer shows as online and a manual backup can be started. The backups do not finish and this morning the services are off again (showing offline again) even though the computers have been running all night. I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling the client software with the same results. All of the services that are not running are set to start "Automatically" and should continue to run. Any help would be appreciated.

#2 ikon

ikon

HSS Elite Master

• Donating Member
    • 14,239 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 09:02 AM

My system has 3 PC's so far with WHS 2011 client software installed. 2 out of the 3 show as offline while on and have not had a successful backup yet(2 weeks running). When I go into Services and turn on the WHS services needed the computer shows as online and a manual backup can be started. The backups do not finish and this morning the services are off again (showing offline again) even though the computers have been running all night. I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling the client software with the same results. All of the services that are not running are set to start "Automatically" and should continue to run. Any help would be appreciated.

If Captain Kirk can't figure it out, how are we mere ensigns supposed to help? :D

Seriously though, not sure what's going on there. I assume the services you mention are on the server? Have you checked event viewer to see when the services turn off, and the reason? Might be a place to start.

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

#3 ImTheTypeOfGuy

ImTheTypeOfGuy

HSS Master

• Donating Member
    • 2,429 posts
    • LocationhOUston

Posted 27 May 2011 - 09:23 AM

Have you tried to uninstall and then reinstall the connector? If that doesn't work I would reinstall WHS2011.
    ITTOG

- WHS V1: Dell XPS 420; Quad Core @ 2.66 GHz; 4 GB RAM
    - S2008R2: Lian Li PC-A70F, EVGA X58 3X SLI, i7 920 @ 2.67 GHz; 12 GB RAM, 2 x 250 GB WD Black Caviar in IcyDock Enclosure with Raid 1, EVGA GeForce GT 240, 12TB RAID5
    - HTPC: Silverstone Lascala, Gigabyte GA-H55-USB3, i3 530 @ 2.93 GHz, 4 GB Ram, 60 GB OCZ Vertex 2 SSD, 12TB RAID5
    - Personal Desktop: Lian Li PC-9F, ASUS Sabertooth P67, i7 2600k @ 4.1 GHz, 16 GB RAM, 2 x 120 GB OCZ Vertex 2 SSD's in Raid 0, EVGA GTX580
    - Kids Desktop: Dell Dimension 8400 Pentium 4 560, 3.6GHz, 2 GB RAM - Lets not forget this beauty!
    - Other Devices: iPad, Boxee Box, XBox's, PS3, Wii, and HP TouchPad

#4 ikon

ikon

HSS Elite Master

• Donating Member
    • 14,239 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 09:38 AM

Have you tried to uninstall and then reinstall the connector? If that doesn't work I would reinstall WHS2011.

I thought he was referring to the connector when he said 'client software'.

#5 ImTheTypeOfGuy

ImTheTypeOfGuy

HSS Master

• Donating Member
    • 2,429 posts
    • LocationhOUston

Posted 27 May 2011 - 09:40 AM

I thought he was referring to the connector when he said 'client software'.

Same here.
    ITTOG

- S2008R2: Lian Li PC-A70F, EVGA X58 3X SLI, i7 920 @ 2.67 GHz; 12 GB RAM, 2 x 250 GB WD Black Caviar in IcyDock Enclosure with Raid 1, EVGA GeForce GT 240, 12TB RAID5
    - HTPC: Silverstone Lascala, Gigabyte GA-H55-USB3, i3 530 @ 2.93 GHz, 4 GB Ram, 60 GB OCZ Vertex 2 SSD, 12TB RAID5
    - Personal Desktop: Lian Li PC-9F, ASUS Sabertooth P67, i7 2600k @ 4.1 GHz, 16 GB RAM, 2 x 120 GB OCZ Vertex 2 SSD's in Raid 0, EVGA GTX580
    - Kids Desktop: Dell Dimension 8400 Pentium 4 560, 3.6GHz, 2 GB RAM - Lets not forget this beauty!

#6 ikon

ikon

HSS Elite Master

• Donating Member
    • 14,239 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 09:43 AM

Same here.

oh. Was wondering cause he did say he's uninstalled/reinstalled the client SW.

#7 ImTheTypeOfGuy

ImTheTypeOfGuy

HSS Master

• Donating Member
    • 2,429 posts
    • LocationhOUston

Posted 27 May 2011 - 08:10 PM

oh. Was wondering cause he did say he's uninstalled/reinstalled the client SW.

Not sure if I completely missed that or if when I read it I thought he said rebooted his server. Who knows?
    ITTOG

#8 awraynor

awraynor

HSS Elite

• Donating Member
    • 1,336 posts
    • LocationSpartanburg, S.C.

Posted 27 May 2011 - 08:17 PM

It may be different in 2011, but I frequently had this kind of error if I plugged in and
    then unplugged an external drive? If it expected it to be there and it wasn't the
    backup would start, yet fail every time. I would then have to configure the backup
    to exclude drives that were no longer present.

#9 gcoupe

gcoupe

HSS Pro

• Members
    • 240 posts
    • LocationNetherlands

Posted 28 May 2011 - 01:20 AM

It may be different in 2011, but I frequently had this kind of error if I plugged in and
    then unplugged an external drive? If it expected it to be there and it wasn't the
    backup would start, yet fail every time. I would then have to configure the backup
    to exclude drives that were no longer present.

According to the online help for Windows Home Server 2011, it is possible to rotate external backup drives: “You can use multiple external storage drives for backups, and you can rotate the drives between onsite and offsite storage locations. This can improve your disaster preparedness planning by helping you recover your data if physical damage occurs to the hardware onsite”.

Mind you, it's not working for me...

#10 diehard

diehard

HSS Elite

• Moderators
    • 1,634 posts
    • LocationMontreal

Posted 28 May 2011 - 07:04 AM

nice writeup on your site gcoupe. B)

EX470 modified BIOS BE-2300 CPU 4Gig ram, 4 2TB HDD. DX4000 with 4 2TB HDD Storage Server2008 R2 Essentials.
    Microsoft MVP - Windows Home Server

#11 diehard

diehard

HSS Elite

• Moderators
    • 1,634 posts
    • LocationMontreal

Posted 28 May 2011 - 07:13 AM

This topic is going off the rails. It was about PC's not backing up to the server and not about the server backup not backing up to external drives. :huh:

Some times the issue could be that the Time Zone or date/time is different on the PC or laptop then on the server and the backups won't start.

I saw an issue with someone who used old equipment for the server and the battery was dead. When there was a power failure that rebooted the server, the server date went to Jan 1 1901. Then NONE of the PC's backed up.

If the case is reversed and the PC's battery is dead, that PC's backup could fail.

Just to test, change the Time Zone and date on a working PC, reboot, then try a backup. :o

EX470 modified BIOS BE-2300 CPU 4Gig ram, 4 2TB HDD. DX4000 with 4 2TB HDD Storage Server2008 R2 Essentials.
    Microsoft MVP - Windows Home Server

#12 gcoupe

gcoupe

HSS Pro

• Members
    • 240 posts
    • LocationNetherlands

Posted 28 May 2011 - 07:33 AM

This topic is going off the rails. It was about PC's not backing up to the server and not about the server backup not backing up to external drives. :huh:

Sorry! :unsure:

#13 ikon

ikon

HSS Elite Master

• Donating Member
    • 14,239 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 01:48 PM

Some times the issue could be that the Time Zone or date/time is different on the PC or laptop then on the server and the backups won't start.

I saw an issue with someone who used old equipment for the server and the battery was dead. When there was a power failure that rebooted the server, the server date went to Jan 1 1901. Then NONE of the PC's backed up.

If the case is reversed and the PC's battery is dead, that PC's backup could fail.

Just to test, change the Time Zone and date on a working PC, reboot, then try a backup. :o

Interesting. Didn't realize that WHS has the same time-lock features as domain servers.

#14 CaptainKirk

CaptainKirk

HSS 1 Post Wonder

• Members
    • 9 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 09:23 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies. I kind of lost track of this post over the weekend and losing internet with the storms rolling through KC almost every day. The problem is on the client side. There isn't a time zone issue, the WHS machine is a new build with a new MOBO, processor, memory, etc. Of the 2 machines having this problem, 1 is my laptop with just 1 500 gb hardrdrive in it. What I don't get is why these services are turning off. I looked throught the logs and came across a couple of errors. The service Net.Tcp Port Sharing Service has terminated unexpectedly several times. Another piece of information that may be helpful is that I am running LogMeIn on all of these machines (including the WHS2011 computer)to allow remote desktop through my iPad2.

When has Captain Kirk fixed anything. Scotty please help.

Thanks again.

#15 pcdoc

pcdoc

HSS Legend

• Moderators
    • 3,957 posts
    • LocationLos Angeles, California

Posted 30 May 2011 - 10:12 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies. I kind of lost track of this post over the weekend and losing internet with the storms rolling through KC almost every day. The problem is on the client side. There isn't a time zone issue, the WHS machine is a new build with a new MOBO, processor, memory, etc. Of the 2 machines having this problem, 1 is my laptop with just 1 500 gb hardrdrive in it. What I don't get is why these services are turning off. I looked throught the logs and came across a couple of errors. The service Net.Tcp Port Sharing Service has terminated unexpectedly several times. Another piece of information that may be helpful is that I am running LogMeIn on all of these machines (including the WHS2011 computer)to allow remote desktop through my iPad2.

When has Captain Kirk fixed anything. Scotty please help.

Thanks again.

I also run Logmein on my clients and do not have an issue but it is worth a quick removal to see if there is a connection to the problem. One thing I would look at is other stuff loading. What are you using for AV/firewall, do you have any other services like media streamers running on these clients. Since it is happening on two systems, it might be an issue with something like antivirus or other software. One thing you can try is delete the computer and user in 2011, remove logmein, remove the connector software, and start again. If that does not work, run "config" at the run line of one of the systems and start disabling some of the things that are running. If one system works, then it probably is not 2011 and is most likely a conflict on your clients.

Main Server - WHS 2011, Core I5-2500, 12T RAID 5 (5x3T) + 2T of Mirror + 2T of backup
    Second Server - 2012, Core I5-2500, 12T RAID 5
    Main Systems - Core I5-4770, 16 Gigs DDR3-1600, 180 Gig Intel 330 SSD. 240 Gig Intel 520, 3T Seagate - Other systems - Core I7-2600, 2 x Core I5-2500, Core I5-4570S, Core I3-2100, and G620

My Blog - The Doc's World
    Tablet Resource - BYOB Videos - TheBYOBPodcast

For More Information:

Computer Systems

Home Network

#16 jcr0911

jcr0911

HSS 1 Post Wonder

• Members
    • 1 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 10:45 AM

I had this problem with the windows server Backup, Addin, and User services. None of the three would stay running. I uninstalled the backup drive (external USB) and deleted the backup schedule through the server manager. At that point the Addin and User services began working again. I have read a couple blogs saying that WHS2011 has an issue with server backups to an external USB.

#17 pcdoc

pcdoc

HSS Legend

• Moderators
    • 3,957 posts
    • LocationLos Angeles, California

Posted 06 July 2011 - 12:09 AM

I read that too but I am surprised that solved your problem, but hey, can't argue with success.

Main Server - WHS 2011, Core I5-2500, 12T RAID 5 (5x3T) + 2T of Mirror + 2T of backup
    Second Server - 2012, Core I5-2500, 12T RAID 5
    Main Systems - Core I5-4770, 16 Gigs DDR3-1600, 180 Gig Intel 330 SSD. 240 Gig Intel 520, 3T Seagate - Other systems - Core I7-2600, 2 x Core I5-2500, Core I5-4570S, Core I3-2100, and G620

My Blog - The Doc's World
    Tablet Resource - BYOB Videos - TheBYOBPodcast

For More Information:

Computer Systems

Home Network

#18 ikon

ikon

HSS Elite Master

• Donating Member
    • 14,239 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 03:44 PM

I had this problem with the windows server Backup, Addin, and User services. None of the three would stay running. I uninstalled the backup drive (external USB) and deleted the backup schedule through the server manager. At that point the Addin and User services began working again. I have read a couple blogs saying that WHS2011 has an issue with server backups to an external USB.

Interesting, espectially to me as I plan to use an external USB3 multi-drive bay for near-line backup and an external USB3 dual-drive dock for offsite backups.

#19 timekills

timekills

HSS Advanced

• Donating Member
    • 867 posts
    • LocationFort Bliss (hah), Tejas

Posted 05 August 2011 - 07:53 AM

I have intermittently had the same/similar problem where I'd get the warning that "windows server client computer backup service not running." I could restart the service sometimes, and it would either immediately stop, or occasionally run for a bit and then stop. What fixed it for me as well was removing my removable drive (in this case, an eSata attached drive) and stopping the WHS server backup.

Now, my WHS 2011 is a virtual OS on a Server 2008R2 host, so I had to remove it from the settings in the virtual OS, but I doubt that made a difference in the cause/effect relationship.

#20 ikon

ikon

HSS Elite Master

• Donating Member
    • 14,239 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 09:07 AM

I hope MS fixes this soon. I would like for it to not be an issue when I (finally) am able to get some Lian-Li EX-503 enclosures.

Skins By Invisioneers