• 466 posts
    • LocationNJ

Posted 23 May 2011 - 10:30 AM

What I shoot:
    * Landscapes (HDR)
    * Portraits for friends and family
    * Travel Shots
    * HDR Artsy Stuff
    * HDR Panoramic Stitches (Landscape and Vertical)

My gear:
    * Canon Digital Rebel Xs
    * Canon 50?-250 IS Telephoto Lens
    * Bargain Tripod
    * UV Filters for all lenses

My Software:
    * Photoshop CS5
    * Live Photo Gallery

My websites
    * Images - www.flickr.com/christopherlux
    * Blog - chrislux.wordpress.com

I have the same camera I only took it off of full auto 5 times LOL. Love to learn how to use it to it's full potential!
    WHS2011 Build - Asus M3N72-D Mother Board - AMD 9950 - 4gig Patriot Ram - Corsair HX650 Psu - 2 WD 250 Blacks in a IcyDock MB982SPR-2S in Mirror - High Point Rocket Raid 2680 - 5 2tb EARS in Raid 5 - 2 2tb EARS and 1 EADS in Raid 5 - One 2tb Sammy for internal back ups - Two 1TB WD Backs - Two USB3 Seagate GoFlex 3tb external for Sneaker net backups - Carbonite installed for cloud back ups on the server.

R.I.P WHS V1

Main Rig - TBA

#22 JediTim

JediTim

HSS Advanced

• Members
    • 504 posts
    • LocationLong Island, New York

Posted 23 May 2011 - 02:35 PM

What I shoot:
    * Family / Vacations
    * Sports - soccer, baseball, football, basketball
    * Landscape -HDR, Pano

My gear (aging as well)
    * Sony Alpha A700...replaced a Minolta Maxxum 7
    * Sony AF DT 16-105mm F3.5-5.6
    * Minolta - AF 24-105 F3.5-4.5 D
    * Minolta - AF 50 F1.7
    * Minolta - AF 85 F1.4 G D
    * Minolta - AF 100 F2.8 Macro
    * Minolta - AF 100-400 F4.5-6.7 APO
    * Flash - Sony HVL F58AM
    * Flash - Minolta 5600HS
    * Tripod and Monopod
    * Too many camera cases...Tamrac

Computer Software
    * Adobe Lightroom
    * Adobe Photshop
    * HDR - Photomatix Pro

My websites
    * Images - www.flickr.com/jeditim

The otherthing I forgot to mention...
    I shoot all photos in RAW and almost always in Manual mode versus Program, Aperture, Shutter or any of the scene modes

#23 geek-accountant

geek-accountant

HSS Advanced

• HSS Writers
    • 871 posts
    • LocationAtlanta Area

Posted 23 May 2011 - 04:19 PM

We need to get you off Auto mode CablDeVil.

JediTim, manual mode allmost always! That is hard core! So you are shooting sports even in manual mode?

unRAID server 18.5TB
    WSS-2011 5TB internal + 4x3TB RAID 5 Mediasonic USB 3.0 external storage
    Hyper-V server running 10 VM's(AMD 6 core with 16gig of ram - Raid 5 & Raid 0, plus USB 3 Mediasonic 4 drive enclosure)
    pfSense & Untangle (aka, SUPER ROUTER) running as seperate machines
    Broadcast server - broadcast the jpeg2RAW podcast - AMD 8 core 4Ghz, 8gig DDR3 1600, RAID 0
    The jpeg2RAW podcast site

#24 texasPI

texasPI

HSS Pro

• Members
    • 222 posts
    • LocationMontgomery, AL

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:06 PM

I'm at a level even lower than novice! :lol:

I shoot family and whatever suits my fancy. I really like macro stuff. Using the following:

* Sony A200 DSLR with 18-55mm and 75-300mm kit lenses.

I picked it up at the fire sales Circuit City was having when they were liquidating stock. Sadly, I wish I'd bought a Nikon or Canon but the wife didn't give me the green light until it was too late so all they had left were Pentax and Sony DSLRs.
    Erik

#25 JediTim

JediTim

HSS Advanced

• Members
    • 504 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 06:45 PM

We need to get you off Auto mode CablDeVil.

JediTim, manual mode allmost always! That is hard core! So you are shooting sports even in manual mode?

Yes...mostly it is my sons soccer or baseball game. Using digital has really allowed me to practice without the worry of using film. I definitely have many over / under exposed shots where I didn't make the change but I don't nearly have as many as I did at the beginning. Also, shooting in RAW has allowed me to recover some of my mistakes...this is where Lightroom has become my friend.
    Tim

#26 geek-accountant

geek-accountant

HSS Advanced

• HSS Writers
    • 871 posts
    • LocationAtlanta Area

Posted 23 May 2011 - 07:14 PM

RAW can save the day and it is all I shoot, but I still try and get within a 1/3 of a stop of the correct exposure. Depending on the time of day, when I shot soccer I either use Aperture priority or shutter priority. As long as I don't think the ISO will get out of control, I MAY use auto ISO. However, my gear is no where near as good as the current cameras from a noise perspective, so I try and keep the ISO low.

Also, since I normally shoot soccer games with my 120-300mm f/2.8 lens, I always use a monopod. If the kids are young, I will either sit in a chair or on the ground. IMO, it really makes a big difference to be down on their level when shooting. As long as the shutter remains about 1/500 or better for the little guys/girls, I should be OK. Of course I would love to be around 1/1200+.

As for Lightroom, I love it also. Lightroom is so good that I stopped shooting RAW+JPEG and now ONLY shot RAW. I can shoot an entire game, download the images to the computer and have them up on the site in less than 30 minutes. Including, picking the keepers, editing and uploaded to the site. My work flow with Lightroom is so much better than it was before.

unRAID server 18.5TB
    Hyper-V server running 10 VM's(AMD 6 core with 16gig of ram - Raid 5 & Raid 0, plus USB 3 Mediasonic 4 drive enclosure)
    Broadcast server - broadcast the jpeg2RAW podcast - AMD 8 core 4Ghz, 8gig DDR3 1600, RAID 0

#27 usacomp2k3

usacomp2k3

HSS Elite

• Members
    • 1,401 posts
    • LocationKissimmee, FL

Posted 24 May 2011 - 09:06 PM

My old equipment:
    Canon Rebel XTi (bought the week it was released...I got the last one in the entire city)
    Canon f/2.8 L 70-200
    Canon f/1.8 50mm (nifty fifty)
    Canon 15-55 f/3.5-5-6 (I think) IS
    LoweProp CompuTrekker backpack (loved that thing)
    Cheap tripod
    old video camera tripod
    cheap monopod that broke

I actually ended up selling it all for money to buy the HDHomeRun Prime, which eventually got so delayed I bought a hard drive and bought some furniture for my wife.
    My wife currently has a Canon SX20 superzoom that takes some really great pictures. Not quite the flexibility of an SLR, but great PQ. One day when the kid is bigger I'll probably jump back in. My thinking is that the pack that I sold for $500 (not including the nice lens which I sold for $900) I could turn around and in 2 years buy a much better camera than that one. Even now, I can buy a T2i for not much more and that does HD video too.
    HP MediaSmart ex470 + 2GB RAM 2+1.5+.5 = 4TB

#28 JediTim

JediTim

HSS Advanced

• Members
    • 504 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 06:18 AM

RAW can save the day and it is all I shoot, but I still try and get within a 1/3 of a stop of the correct exposure. Depending on the time of day, when I shot soccer I either use Aperture priority or shutter priority. As long as I don't think the ISO will get out of control, I MAY use auto ISO. However, my gear is no where near as good as the current cameras from a noise perspective, so I try and keep the ISO low.

Also, since I normally shoot soccer games with my 120-300mm f/2.8 lens, I always use a monopod. If the kids are young, I will either sit in a chair or on the ground. IMO, it really makes a big difference to be down on their level when shooting. As long as the shutter remains about 1/500 or better for the little guys/girls, I should be OK. Of course I would love to be around 1/1200+.

As for Lightroom, I love it also. Lightroom is so good that I stopped shooting RAW+JPEG and now ONLY shot RAW. I can shoot an entire game, download the images to the computer and have them up on the site in less than 30 minutes. Including, picking the keepers, editing and uploaded to the site. My work flow with Lightroom is so much better than it was before.

I agree...Lightroom has enabled be to take RAW photos and process much quicker than when I was using only Photoshop. Not too easy to learn but when I first purchased the program I also got Lightroom "Classroom in a Book" which let me learn the proper way to use the program.

#29 ikon

ikon

HSS Elite Master

• Donating Member
    • 12,352 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 05:39 PM

Hey ikon, I have reasons for the 9 shots in this picture. Each bracketed HDR is 3 pictures (0, -1, +1 exposure). I used three HDR images across. I tend to use a large amount of overlap to give the software more to work with and limit parallax error. All in all, 9 isn't so many. I wish I had YOUR printer. 74" wide shot sounds cool.

My mistake. It really was 3 shots then and only became 9 because of HDR bracketing; that makes perfect sense. Anyway, like I said, nice shot.

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

#30 ikon

ikon

HSS Elite Master

• Donating Member
    • 12,352 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 06:25 PM

let's see, equipment:

*Hasselblad 500C
    two 12 backs
    45 deg. viewfinder
    rapid wind crank
    sliding bellows lens shade
    100mm Planar lens

*Canon T2i
    kit lens
    50mm f/1.8
    70-200mm f/4 L zoom
    adapter to use the Hasselblad 100mm

*Canon Rebel xT
    kit lens

*Leica M4 (1952 German version)
    Summicron 50mm f/1.2 (with macro capability and rangefinder adapter for macro)
    Elmar 90mm f/1.4
    a very rare Canadian made Summicron 90mm f/1.2

Mecablitz CT-1 flash kit

Edited by ikon, 26 May 2011 - 06:39 PM.

#31 geek-accountant

geek-accountant

HSS Advanced

• HSS Writers
    • 871 posts
    • LocationAtlanta Area

Posted 26 May 2011 - 09:38 PM

Wow, thats some old stuff there ikon. I never got into photography really until digital came around, so I never owned a non digital SLR. My father-in-law gave me a Nikon F5 or something like that, plus some of his "old" lenses. I never even turned the camera on and the only lenses he had that I was interested in was his 85mm f1.8 and his 50mm f1.4 (which needs to be sent off for adjustment).

unRAID server 18.5TB

#32 ikon

ikon

HSS Elite Master

• Donating Member
    • 12,352 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 06:19 AM

Wow, thats some old stuff there ikon. I never got into photography really until digital came around, so I never owned a non digital SLR. My father-in-law gave me a Nikon F5 or something like that, plus some of his "old" lenses. I never even turned the camera on and the only lenses he had that I was interested in was his 85mm f1.8 and his 50mm f1.4 (which needs to be sent off for adjustment).

yep; old, like me.... well, 'cept for the T2i ;)

#33 LegoTechMan

LegoTechMan

HSS Star

• Members
    • 55 posts
    • LocationHilliard, OH

Posted 08 June 2011 - 05:28 PM

Hey guys, glad to see some more photographers on the site!

What I shoot:
    Pretty much anything...
    Kids/family/pets
    Kids sports
    Nature
    Macro
    Architecture
    Trains

My Equipment (old):
    Canon Rebel XT
    Canon kit lens 18-55mm
    Canon 75-300mm
    ProMaster 1.6x teleconverter
    A few various Filters
    Cheap tripod
    Cheap monopod

Here is a link to some of my better pictures on Flickr
    (There are pictures of my other hobby on there as well...)

I shoot entirely RAW and just recently switched from using Photoshop Elements 7.0 to Lightroom 3.0 to organize and tweak my photos.

My equipment is in serious need of upgrading, but all of my money has gone to new computers (4 new PC's and a new WHS build to replace aging hardware).

The next lens that I will buy (hopefully sooner rather than later) is the Canon 50mm F/1.8. From what I read, it is a great lens for the price!

Later,
    John

#34 JediTim

JediTim

HSS Advanced

• Members
    • 504 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 05:17 AM

Hey guys, glad to see some more photographers on the site!

What I shoot:
    Pretty much anything...
    Kids/family/pets
    Kids sports
    Nature
    Macro
    Architecture
    Trains

My Equipment (old):
    Canon Rebel XT
    Canon kit lens 18-55mm
    Canon 75-300mm
    ProMaster 1.6x teleconverter
    A few various Filters
    Cheap tripod
    Cheap monopod

Here is a link to some of my better pictures on Flickr
    (There are pictures of my other hobby on there as well...)

I shoot entirely RAW and just recently switched from using Photoshop Elements 7.0 to Lightroom 3.0 to organize and tweak my photos.

My equipment is in serious need of upgrading, but all of my money has gone to new computers (4 new PC's and a new WHS build to replace aging hardware).

The next lens that I will buy (hopefully sooner rather than later) is the Canon 50mm F/1.8. From what I read, it is a great lens for the price!

Later,
    John

The Lego shots are really nice...something I should do with my son and his Star Wars Lego sets.

How are you liking LR3 versus PS Elements...to me there is no comparison. LR3 is an excellent program for photographers.

#35 LegoTechMan

LegoTechMan

HSS Star

• Members
    • 55 posts
    • LocationHilliard, OH

Posted 09 June 2011 - 05:11 PM

The Lego shots are really nice...something I should do with my son and his Star Wars Lego sets.

How are you liking LR3 versus PS Elements...to me there is no comparison. LR3 is an excellent program for photographers.

Thanks. Taking pictures of LEGO is actually what got me into photography. It is difficult to take good pictures of shiny plastic!!!

I do like LR3 a lot better than Elements. I will still use the Elements editor to do any major editing that I cannot do in LR, but as far as organizing and processing my RAW files, LR wins hands down!

#36 JediTim

JediTim

HSS Advanced

• Members
    • 504 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 05:57 AM

Thanks. Taking pictures of LEGO is actually what got me into photography. It is difficult to take good pictures of shiny plastic!!!

I do like LR3 a lot better than Elements. I will still use the Elements editor to do any major editing that I cannot do in LR, but as far as organizing and processing my RAW files, LR wins hands down!

Not much I can't do in LR3 that I need to use Photoshop for anymore. I have not used Elements in awhile and now rarely even go into Photoshop except maybe for a panoramic photo.

#37 geek-accountant

geek-accountant

HSS Advanced

• HSS Writers
    • 871 posts
    • LocationAtlanta Area

Posted 10 June 2011 - 08:34 PM

Feel the same way JediTim. I really only use Photoshop now when I need to do something with layers or pano's like you mentioned. I bought Nik Software's Complete Collection last week, but have not had time to actually use it yet.

unRAID server 18.5TB

#38 ikon

ikon

HSS Elite Master

• Donating Member
    • 12,352 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 09:03 PM

Feel the same way JediTim. I really only use Photoshop now when I need to do something with layers or pano's like you mentioned. I bought Nik Software's Complete Collection last week, but have not had time to actually use it yet.

I'm really hoping to combine HDR with pano. I'm sure it will be a challenge but I would love to see the results.

#39 geek-accountant

geek-accountant

HSS Advanced

• HSS Writers
    • 871 posts
    • LocationAtlanta Area

Posted 10 June 2011 - 10:11 PM

Thats on my list also. Once I get my D100 IR converted, I want to try some IR HDR also. I keep going back and forth on which filter to have it converted to, that plus the expense is slowing the process down. :(

unRAID server 18.5TB

#40 Silvio

Silvio

HSS Member

• Members
    • 21 posts
    • LocationEvanston, Illinois

Posted 11 June 2011 - 12:18 PM

Geek-accountant I'm really excited to see this topic/section here, let's keep it alive!
    I'm no professional by any means, I just enjoy and have lots of fun taking pictures and creating HDRs when appropriate.

What I shoot:
    * Landscapes (HDR)
    * Lots and lots of my son / family
    * Travel Shots
    * HDR of anything
    * Panoramic Stitches (Landscape and Vertical)

About 148 GB, since 2000 when I started shooting digital

My gear:
    * Fujifilm Finepix S100FS
    * Samsung Pro 815 (Going into retirement)
    * Tripod - QSX-Digi Pro8500
    * Filter - HD ND4, HD CPL
    * Lowepro SlingShot 100
    ** Will soon be getting a Canon T3i, it's priority in my list

My Software:
    * Photoshop CS4
    * Live Photo Gallery
    * Photomatix Pro 4.0

My websites
    * Flickr - www.flickr.com/silvionr
    * Flickr killer - www.500px.com/silvioribeiro
    * Site- www.silvioribeiro.com

Edited by Silvio, 11 June 2011 - 12:29 PM.

Skins By Invisioneers