•  

• Photo

WHS 2011 Connector Software won't install - Help please!

• Please log in to reply
    23 replies to this topic

#1 Captain Reynolds

Captain Reynolds

HSS Member

• Members
    • 35 posts
    • LocationCairns, QLD AUSTRALIA

Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:09 PM

I have finally upgraded to the RTM edition WHS2011, and the install seemed to go without a hitch, but I am now having serious problems getting computers to connect. I have tried both with my main rig and my laptop. When I run the connector software, it first tells me that there is another install procedure running or restart pending. When I reboot, that error dissappears and everything seems to run fine. It finds the server, I click next, it warns me my computer may restart several times, I click next and am then asked for my password. After I have entered the password, I get an error saying "Cannot connect this computer to the network - An unexpected error has occurred" When I click on the troubleshooting link, the only relevant suggestion is regarding non-ASCII characters in the computer name. My computers are called ScoutPC and MiniMePC so I can't see that being the issue. I have searched these forums and online, and so far have tried the following:

1. I disabled my Avira Antivir Professional
    2. I disabled windows firewall on both the client and the server
    3. I have double checked the user accounts and the details are correct (would I get this error if they were wrong or would it tell me?)
    4. I have started the Windows Media Centre Receiver & Scheduler services, as they were not running

Additional information:

1. When the server starts, it takes me straight to a screen that says "The username or password is incorrect" When I click ok, I am back to the usual logon screen with Administrator as the user. When I enter the password it logs me in just fine. Is this normal?
    2. There is only one error listed in the dashboard - One or more services are not running. The service that is not running is 'Active Directory Certificate Services'. When I go into services and try to start it, I get an error that says ' Windows could not start the Active Directory Certificate Services on Local Computer, along with a server specific error code 939523595

I am not sure what else to try other than a new install - has anyone experienced this before?

Main Rig: Core i5 2500K@4Ghz, ASRockP67Extreme4, 8GBDDR3 RipjawsX, Samsung 840 250GB SSD, 2GB Gigabyte 6950, W8 64Bit

HTPC: Corei3, ASRock Z68MUSB3, Corsair Force3 80GBSSD, WD2TBEARS, W764Bit, HD Homerun 2CH

WHS 2011: Corei3 540, Gigabyte GA-H55M-D2H, 8GB DDR3, OCZ Vertex 3 120GB (OS) Highpoint RR 2720 with 5xWD2TBEARS RAID5

#2 diehard

diehard

HSS Elite

• Moderators
    • 1,627 posts
    • LocationMontreal

Posted 29 April 2011 - 06:56 AM

check that the date and time match on both the PC and server. Also take a look here http://social.micros...83-a3a5a5aafdfc

EX470 modified BIOS BE-2300 CPU 4Gig ram, 4 2TB HDD. DX4000 with 4 2TB HDD Storage Server2008 R2 Essentials.
    Microsoft MVP - Windows Home Server

#3 customator

customator

HSS Member

• Members
    • 21 posts
    • LocationWoodstock, GA

Posted 29 April 2011 - 07:31 AM

Captain

Check the discussion topic "WHS 2011 connector wont connect", in there we talk about this same issue. It seems if you disable IP6 and then run the connector software it will work. You will have to enter the IPV4 IP address of the server to complete the install but it does work. This is certainly a bug.

Diehard

Are you saying that if the server and client times are off you will get this message as well?

#4 st3lvio

st3lvio

HSS Star

• Members
    • 86 posts
    • LocationNorCal

Posted 29 April 2011 - 08:01 AM

I plan on using MS Find My Server Wizard

Anyone use it yet?

#5 diehard

diehard

HSS Elite

• Moderators
    • 1,627 posts
    • LocationMontreal

Posted 29 April 2011 - 10:45 AM

Captain

Check the discussion topic "WHS 2011 connector wont connect", in there we talk about this same issue. It seems if you disable IP6 and then run the connector software it will work. You will have to enter the IPV4 IP address of the server to complete the install but it does work. This is certainly a bug.

Diehard

Are you saying that if the server and client times are off you will get this message as well?

There have been reports of issues trying to connect to the server and it was related to dates and times including Time Zone.

Ed Bott recently commented on some old WHS2011 release notes that told users to make sure that both the server and PC were set to PST time zones.

EX470 modified BIOS BE-2300 CPU 4Gig ram, 4 2TB HDD. DX4000 with 4 2TB HDD Storage Server2008 R2 Essentials.
    Microsoft MVP - Windows Home Server

#6 SolidSonicTH

SolidSonicTH

HSS Member

• Members
    • 26 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 08:50 PM

Anyone use it yet?

This solved my problem. Was having an identical issue until I used this thing.

The problem is most definitely related to IPv6. If you go through the GUI to get to WHS to download the installer, the URL bar generates an IPv6 address and that seems to block the installation. If you get to the page via this utility, it'll route you through an IPv4 address. Download the utility from this URL and it'll install properly (at least it did for me).

Seems that routers have trouble being told to find a node via IPv6.

#7 customator

customator

HSS Member

• Members
    • 21 posts
    • LocationWoodstock, GA

Posted 02 May 2011 - 09:24 PM

This solved my problem. Was having an identical issue until I used this thing.

The problem is most definitely related to IPv6. If you go through the GUI to get to WHS to download the installer, the URL bar generates an IPv6 address and that seems to block the installation. If you get to the page via this utility, it'll route you through an IPv4 address. Download the utility from this URL and it'll install properly (at least it did for me).

Seems that routers have trouble being told to find a node via IPv6.

I have not used this tool but I do plan to try it out. I am not sure I agree with you on the router issue. I have connected a number of computers to the server and most of them on the same router. Some have worked, some have not. I think that all of them that have not work has been 64bit OSs. Also, it fails even if you run the connection setup software from the command line on the local machine. I will test this to be sure but I think I have it right.

At the end of day it is a bug. We should not have to work around this.

#8 SolidSonicTH

SolidSonicTH

HSS Member

• Members
    • 26 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 09:30 PM

It's only an assessment. The fact that I hit a brick wall when trying to communicate to my server via an IPv6 address then the issue corrects itself after I try it through an IPv4 address definitely suggests the complication lies in that area.

However, in hindsight, my router's no slouch (D-Link DIR-655) so I really have to think this falls to MS' blunder. I don't think I should say my router can't locate a node based on an IPv6 address. This is probably more of a communication error that springs up from the server trying to reach a client. However, I stand by my theory that this is a matter of the v6 address getting in the way.

WHS is supposed to be easy to set up (since it's for non-techies to manage and centralize their data) but with shot-in-the-dark garbage like this plaguing the RTM release, it's anything but (I wouldn't have even been able to offer a diagnosis without my background as an IT student).

Edited by SolidSonicTH, 02 May 2011 - 09:31 PM.

#9 st3lvio

st3lvio

HSS Star

• Members
    • 86 posts
    • LocationNorCal

Posted 02 May 2011 - 09:55 PM

Good to know that tool worked.
    I've been moving data since Friday night, and will finally be done with that phase.
    My install will be tomorrow or more likely Wednesday.
    FYI, I picked up the digital copy of WHS2011 Unleashed. The author suggests assigning a static ip on the server NIC (I always have on my DIR-855), so I'll set mine up as suggested. Lots of info that's been helpful.

#10 customator

customator

HSS Member

• Members
    • 21 posts
    • LocationWoodstock, GA

Posted 02 May 2011 - 09:57 PM

I completely agree. It is definitely the way the MS is handling it. I think they are trying to make it easy but (as I just said in a post on another topic) to what end are they trying to make it simple? This is supposed to be a product that is only for OEMs. It seems that MS are trying to make it idiot proof and in the process creating the need for these workarounds. Apparently they think OEMs are not very smart and need the extra help installing the software.

#11 Captain Reynolds

Captain Reynolds

HSS Member

• Members
    • 35 posts
    • LocationCairns, QLD AUSTRALIA

Posted 05 May 2011 - 06:45 PM

Thanks all for the feedback. I tried everything suggested here to no a-vail (pun intended)
    After much frustration I decided to just do a re-install and that fixed the issue, everything is now running fine! I put it down to a bad install and fingers crossed everything will be happy from now on.

Main Rig: Core i5 2500K@4Ghz, ASRockP67Extreme4, 8GBDDR3 RipjawsX, Samsung 840 250GB SSD, 2GB Gigabyte 6950, W8 64Bit

HTPC: Corei3, ASRock Z68MUSB3, Corsair Force3 80GBSSD, WD2TBEARS, W764Bit, HD Homerun 2CH

WHS 2011: Corei3 540, Gigabyte GA-H55M-D2H, 8GB DDR3, OCZ Vertex 3 120GB (OS) Highpoint RR 2720 with 5xWD2TBEARS RAID5

#12 G. WadeTech

G. WadeTech

HSS Pro

• Donating Member
    • 202 posts
    • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 06 May 2011 - 12:56 AM

I upgraded to WHS 2011 on my PROD box and was not able to install the connector. The issue was my Logitech webcam pending file name change in the registry. I un-installed the Logitech webcam software... restarted my PC and the connector installed without any issues. Weird issue but it was any easy fix after some research.

Main PC / Server - Fractil Midi, Intel Core i5-2500 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz, G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 SDRAM 1600, Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Mobo, ATI Radeon Pro 2400 XT & ATI Radeon X600 Graphics Cards, Win 7 Pro, 1TB WD HD Black Edition & 500GB WD HD Black Edition, Triple Monitors: Samsung 22" SyncMaster 220WM, Samsung SyncMaster P2450H & Dell 15".
    MediaSonic HF2-SU2S2 Pro Box 4 Bay Enclosure via eSATA (4.5TB)

Drobo (2nd Gen) USB 2.0

Chromecast
    HT - Samsung 46" LCD TV, Samsung 36" LCD TV, Microsoft Xbox 360 Slim Kinect / Mobile: T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S4

#13 customator

customator

HSS Member

• Members
    • 21 posts
    • LocationWoodstock, GA

Posted 18 May 2011 - 05:44 AM

Since I last posted on this subject I have installed two more 64bit OSs and 1 32bit OS. Both the 64s required that the IP6 be disabled and the 32bit did not. I do not wish to start over again with this server. On the next install I will be sure to test this further. However, it does seem to be associated with the type of OS.

Has anyone had this issue with a 32bit OS?

#14 bobalex

bobalex

HSS 1 Post Wonder

• Members
    • 1 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 12:25 PM

“Incorrect Password” with WHS Connector and “No Reinstall Option” EASILY SOLVED!

I have 4 computers on our WHS network: three running Win7 Home Premium, and one XP machine. A few months ago my son’s XP machine and my wife’s laptop couldn’t logon to the WHS console. Both got the “Incorrect Password” error message. But they still had access to the Shared Folders on their desktops and the nightly backups continued without a problem. It was one of those “If it ain’t completely broke - Don’t fix it” sort of things.

We recently moved so the only change to our setup was the cable modem and router.

My computer started acting flaky and I’ve learned over the years (since Windows 3.0) that after 18 months or so … it’s time for the quick backup, HD wipe, and reinstall everything routine. WHS takes care of the backup nightly so that was already out of the way. All went well with the OS/drivers install until the WHS connector kept shutting down the process because of an “Incorrect Password.” But the password wasn’t incorrect.

Long story short … I spent an entire day on The Internet looking for a solution. I tried everything I could find but still got the maddening, “Incorrect Password.” Finally I gave up and called Microsoft. It was only going to cost $59 to get a fix. It was worth it not to waste any more time.

I was running Win7 Home Premium so the “secpol.msc/NTLM Response only” wasn’t an option. The tech waltzed me through setting on my machine but still nothing. He had me change a few settings on the server but on a reboot I couldn’t get past the WHS login. Incorrect Password.

He then gave up and told me to reinstall WHS.

Easier said than done. Booting from the WHS DVD I didn’t get the reinstall option. And I wasn’t about to wipe out 12TB of data with a new WHS install.

Once again … an entire day trying everything I could find on The Internet and still … No Reinstall Option.

I was almost ready to spend however long it took to transfer the 12 TB of data, one HD at a time, to another computer and attempt a fresh WHS install. I was talking to a friend about that horrible prospect when he remembered something about seeing a Windows password bypass solution on Hak 5.

Desperately I searched and found: http://revision3.com/hak5/hotlattemod/

Clicking on “Circumvent Windows Security with Konboot for USB” I watched in amazement how I might be able to Solve The Problem.

As soon as the video was over I downloaded the suggested software, plopped it on a jump drive, added a patch, booted the server to the usb drive and … circumvented the WHS password.

Once I was on the server I changed the password, got rid of the annoying Ctrl+Alt+Del login step, and rebooted.

It Worked!

The new password enabled me to finish the WHS connector routine and now all 4 computers are working perfectly with WHS.

A problem that I had wasted Three Days on … and was going to take me several more days to fix … Was Solved!! … In less than 30 minutes.

If you find yourself stuck in my WHS nightmare … here’s what to do.

Watch “Circumvent Windows Security with Konboot for USB” here:

http://revision3.com/hak5/hotlattemod/

Download Unetbootin here:

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

Download Kon-Boot (Floppy image) here

http://www.piotrbani...m/all/kon-boot/

The unzip password is

kon-boot

Use Unetbootin to put Kon-Boot on a USB drive.

Read about the Kon-Boot patch from irongeek here:

http://www.irongeek....n-boot-from-usb

And extract the files in the following zip to the root of your thumbdrive:

http://www.irongeek....nbootfiles2.zip

Set your WHS machine to boot to the USB drive and boot up.

If you follow the steps outlined by Hak 5 and irongeek you too will be able to solve your WHS problem in minutes instead of days and join the rest of humanity in having a life versus flailing about in computer hell.

Disclaimer:

I was so happy to find a quick, easy, and free solution to my problem I’m posting this wherever I saw the “Incorrect Password” posts that led to a reinstall of WHS. If you’re paranoid about using Kon-Boot or believe Kon-Boot can be used for Evil Purposes … don’t use it.

#15 jantanik

jantanik

HSS Member

• Members
    • 11 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 04:01 AM

Anyone use it yet?

Yes, i used it. It works great for me in finding the server.

#16 jhsanchez

jhsanchez

HSS 1 Post Wonder

• Members
    • 1 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:35 AM

I had the "... Installation pending ... " error and I too had to uninstall/reinstall the Logitech Webcam software. It seems that even after a successful install of the Logitech stuff, two files are left in the logishrd directory which are open and hang up the connector install. REALLY bad form on their part!

#17 thobel

thobel

HSS Star

• Members
    • 93 posts
    • LocationNYC

Posted 21 December 2011 - 03:26 PM

I had this issue in the past I had to change some setting in a reg key about a pending install from like 1 to 0 and the pending install thing went away. I'm sorry but I can't seem to locate the information now

Edit

of ocurse i find it 2 seconds after I post

http://butchadamscon...on-in-progress/

Edited by thobel, 21 December 2011 - 03:27 PM.

Main Rig: Danger Den Cutom DoubleWide, Asus R3E, Intel 980x, 6GB Super Talen DDR3 2133 (Hypers), 3x Intel X25MG2 160's in Raid 0, 3x GTX580's Full Water Cooled 120.18 of Rads
    Backup Main: Corsair 800D Asus R3E, Intel 980x, 12GB Corsair Dominator GT DDR3 1866, 3x Intel X25MG2 80GB's in Raid 0, 3x GTX480's Full Water Cooled 120.5 of Rads
    WHS: Lian Li PC-A71F, Asus P8P67-Pro, Intel 2600K, 16GB Corsair Vengence DDR3 2133, 15x Hitachi 2TB, Areca-1261ML Raid Controller, Asetek 570LC CPU Cooler, OS 2x Ocz Vertex 3 in Raid 0
    HTPC: Corsair 500R, Asus P8Z67, Intel 2700K, 8Gb G.Skill DDR3 2133, OCZ Vertex 3 120GB, 2x GTX550TI, Corsair H100

#18 ikon

ikon

HSS Elite Master

• Donating Member
    • 13,782 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 05:17 PM

I had this issue in the past I had to change some setting in a reg key about a pending install from like 1 to 0 and the pending install thing went away. I'm sorry but I can't seem to locate the information now

Edit

of ocurse i find it 2 seconds after I post

http://butchadamscon...on-in-progress/

Thanks for sticking with it and posting the link.

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

#19 AnthonyBell

AnthonyBell

HSS 1 Post Wonder

• Members
    • 1 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:47 AM

Great topic! I found a lot useful information.
    vpn

#20 ikon

ikon

HSS Elite Master

• Donating Member
    • 13,782 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:48 PM

Great topic! I found a lot useful information.

Yep; even the old stuff is useful sometimes, kinda like me ;)

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

Skins By Invisioneers