7 replies to this topic

#1 ZA_Tigger

ZA_Tigger

HSS Member

• Members
    • 25 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 01:55 AM

Hi Guys,

All this talk about drives failing in WHS has prompted me to install the smart addin and also tried the stablebit scanner. And as feared one 1TB drive came up as having bad sectors. (So same story your drive wont fail now but this might a pre-cursor :-) )

So I rushed off to buy a new drive (2TB) and removed the old 1TB and put the second new drive in. And immediately SMART told me this drive also has bad sectors now this was just odd.

So I popped the old 1TB into my main PC and ran seatools, SMART and short tests and it came back perfect. I also installed Hard Disk Sentinel and this also said the drive was fine.

Then I popped out the newly installed 2 TB drive and ran the same test and again the drive was perfect I even copied the smart data from my pc and compared it with the data on the EX485 SMART "add in" and it is completely different.

So can it be that the ex485 controller is giving incorrect information? I dont really know whats going on? Any help/advice. I have now left the 2TB in the EX485 and hoping for the best.

Cheers
    Andrew

#2 dvn

dvn

HSS Elite

• Moderators
    • 1,748 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 06:35 AM

I'd stick the original drive (or, sure, leave that 2 TB in there if you want) back in MSS, download CrystalDiskInfo Portable Edition, stick it on the server's desktop and run that to get your SMART data. Let's see what that says. It will report on individual drives. And any problems will be color-coded with a yellow or red indicator.

#3 cskenney

cskenney

HSS Elite

• Administrators
    • 1,522 posts
    • LocationMadison, WI

Posted 27 March 2011 - 06:43 AM

The developer of this add-in just posted that he has a new version for testing HSS forum topic - Home Server SMART.

There is an interesting bit in his posting.

I tried to incorporate features people requested and that I believed would be useful, including the ability to "ignore" certain warnings, such as a low bad sector count that doesn't get worse or that pesky CRC error count.

So maybe the bad sector count problem is a "known" issue?

I would try the suggestion from DVN.
    WHS - HP EX485 MediaSmart Server Intel Celeron 2 Ghz, 2 GB RAM, 1 TB system drive, 2 x 2 TB storage drive

#4 ZA_Tigger

ZA_Tigger

HSS Member

• Members
    • 25 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 07:52 AM

I'd stick the original drive (or, sure, leave that 2 TB in there if you want) back in MSS, download CrystalDiskInfo Portable Edition, stick it on the server's desktop and run that to get your SMART data. Let's see what that says. It will report on individual drives. And any problems will be color-coded with a yellow or red indicator.

Thanks I did that with the new 2TB (in the ex485) and it came back clear, so then I went hunting around in the settings of the smart add-in and found a reset everything button and clicked it. Now the smart add in also reports its fine. It seems it remembered the failure's of the previous drive.

The reason I think that happened is I hot swapped the drives out without ever rebooting maybe that caused the addin to get confused. Then I reran the 1TB (which was originally failing) with Crystal Disk and it also reported the same RSC issues. So only seagate's tools thought it was fine (probably doest want me to RMA it :-) ). No how do I claim this drive under warranty without a report from seatools will be interesting??

Thanks again

Andrew

Anyway

#5 dvn

dvn

HSS Elite

• Moderators
    • 1,748 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 08:07 AM

Seatools hides the information. It tolerates a certain amount of "less-than-perfect" readings. So if your drive had (and I don't know what their numbers are, I'm just making this up) less than 25 bad sectors, SeaTools would report 'good to go!' It makes sense in a way because up to a certain amount of bad sectors, the drive's performance and reliability is 'reasonable'.

So, no. Seagate will probably not qualify that drive for RMA. Not until it fails Seatools. So stick in a system less critical and keep an eye on it. That drive could run for years, but it could get worse rapidly.

For what it's worth, I'm running the Home Server SMART add-in (ver. 1.1.36.6) in HP EX495 and it seems to be functionally correctly. I verified the readings a couple of times with CDI.

#6 ikon

ikon

HSS Elite Master

• Donating Member
    • 13,746 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 08:56 AM

I verified the readings a couple of times with CDI.

CDI ??

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

#7 dvn

dvn

HSS Elite

• Moderators
    • 1,748 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 09:22 AM

:) Crystal Disk Info

#8 ikon

ikon

HSS Elite Master

• Donating Member
    • 13,746 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 10:38 AM

:) Crystal Disk Info

D'oh! Of course. I have it on my WHS.

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

Skins By Invisioneers