4 replies to this topic

#1 Jason Chafin

Jason Chafin

HSS Member

• Members
    • 15 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 06:56 PM

Hi All,

I've looked and looked in the forums, but can't seem to find someone with a similar issue, so here goes:

Just before Christmas, I installed a WHS home build into my mother's network. Her ISP is Verizon. At the time, she had an "old" internet setup, which consisted of a separate DSL modem plugged into a D-Link router. I also built her a HTPC to go in her living room so she can stream movies and TV shows. Onto this HTPC, I installed Boxee, and I set up the WHS with a bittorent server and have it set up tivo-style to automatically download TV shows for her. This is pretty-much the exact type of system I have at my home and that I built for my aunt (mom's sis). I live in Northern California and Mom lives in Southern California, and after I had it set up and came home after Christmas, I could administer her system remotely, just like it's built to do. I also administer my aunt and uncle's WHS via remote access. I also use LogMeIn to assist my mom, and I put Hamachi on all WHSs, as well as my family's various laptops and such, so they can assess their files remotely via Windows Explorer while they're away. Awesome!

After Christmas I headed back up to the Bay Area and everything was working great. After the new year, mom "upgraded" her Verizon bundle (actually, it was a sales call, but the new bundle would be cheaper, so she bit). The Verizon person told her that her modem/router set-up was old and they sent her a new Verizon-branded router-modem combo. She had Verizon install her router and get her back up and going again on the internet, but the WHS wasn't re-connected to remote web access. This is to be my job.

So, since she's got LogMeIn, I thought I could simply LMI into Mom's computer, launch the WHS Console from her client, and go into the settings to turn on Remote Access. This has proved to be troublesome. First off, the Verizon modem/router does have UPnP, but it's turned off by default. I learned this the first time I tried going in via LMI, launching the console, and trying to enable remote access. When I did, it blanched at the part of the set-up where it's "configuring the router".

So, via LMI, I launch a browser on my Mom's laptop, go to 192.168.1.1, and access the Verizon admin UI. I to to "advanced settings" and notice that UPnP is present, but "off". Here's where things get screwy: When I click the "on" radio button, it does its thing, then tries to refresh, and . . . nothing. Instead of refreshing the WebUI to show UPnP "on", I get the ole "Problem loading page" "server not found" dealy. Whah? When I try to click on other pages, or just go to "www.yahoo.com" or something, I have no web access. But the thing is, I'm still controlling my mom's PC via LogMeIn! I can close the browser, re-launch, do anything else on the PC but access the web. When this happens, I have to call my mom on the phone and have her power cycle her router to get her back online.

I have been trying to get this working for three months! In that time, she has had THREE OTHER Verizon routers sent out to her, all with the same results. Oh, and after I have had mom reboot her router, I have gone back into the Verizon WebUI and UPnP now shows "on". Cool! I go back into the Console, back into Settings, try to reconnect the Remote Access and . . . nothing. Still hangs on that third step when trying to configure the router, and any time I go into the router WebUI I can poke around a bit but then we get cut off again. But I can always still operate my mom's pc via LMI. I'd like to just put the old modem and D-Link router in and stick with it, but I'm far away and Mom's not so savvy wit that kind of stuff.

Has anyone encountered this? I am pulling my hair out here. It's frustrating that I'm so far away, but by All That's Right And Holy, I should be able to configure Remote Access via LogMeIn. I've done it before on my other relatives' machine. Thus any insights anyone out there in HSS Land has would be greatly appreciated.
    WHS: WHS PowerPack3 | HTPC: Windows 7 Ultimate
    Mobo: ASUS P4V8X-MX 478 | ASUS Ion AT3N7A-I w/NVIDIA
    CPU: Intel P4 2.40GHz | ATOM 330
    RAM: 2GB | 2GB

#2 jmwills

jmwills

HSS Genius

• Donating Member
    • 7,764 posts
    • LocationHuntsville, AL

Posted 05 March 2011 - 07:42 PM

Is there any reason why you can't configure Port Forwarding manually? The UPnP part is just there for convenience. I would do this:

Configure port forwarding manually
    Create a DHCP reservation for the server
    Reboot the server and then try accessing the web interface.

By the way, the only Verizon combo modem/router I have ever dealt with was a piece of #*%^#^#

Windows 7 Desktop - Antec 100 Case, Intel D8H67BL, OCZ 550W PSU, Intel i3-530 CPU w/16GB G-Skill DDR3 1333 RAM
    Server 2012 - Fractal Arc Midi, CoolerMaster M600 PSU, ASUS P8H67V, Intel i5-2500 CPU w/32GBG-Skill DDR3 1333 RAM, 90 GIG OCZ SSD OS Drive – Roles: Hyper-V (WHS-SharePoint-DC-SQL-Exchange-WSE 2012R2), Print Server - Rocket RAID 2720 4 x 3TB WD Red
    HTPC Build - Silverstone GD05 Case,x 2
    Travel Laptop: Lenovo U310 13.3" Windows 8.1

#3 Jason Chafin

Jason Chafin

HSS Member

• Members
    • 15 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:14 AM

Is there any reason why you can't configure Port Forwarding manually? The UPnP part is just there for convenience. I would do this:

Configure port forwarding manually
    Create a DHCP reservation for the server
    Reboot the server and then try accessing the web interface.

I'm certainly familiar with manually forwarding ports on Linksys, D-Link and open source ROMs like Tomato and DDWRT, but I couldn't find the proper settings in the Verizon router.

Could you elaborate on how to create a "DHCP reservation for the server"? Oh, I should also mention that I've set a static IP on the server as well, in case that makes a difference.

By the way, the only Verizon combo modem/router I have ever dealt with was a piece of #*%^#^#

Thank you! I started to put that in my original post. Yes, I think all those all-in-ones are major POSs

Thanks for your response.

#4 jmwills

jmwills

HSS Genius

• Donating Member
    • 7,764 posts
    • LocationHuntsville, AL

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:20 AM

In order to create a reservation you will need the MAC address for the server's NIC card. The reservations tell the DHCP server (the router) to always issue the same IP address to the same device.

Windows 7 Desktop - Antec 100 Case, Intel D8H67BL, OCZ 550W PSU, Intel i3-530 CPU w/16GB G-Skill DDR3 1333 RAM
    Server 2012 - Fractal Arc Midi, CoolerMaster M600 PSU, ASUS P8H67V, Intel i5-2500 CPU w/32GBG-Skill DDR3 1333 RAM, 90 GIG OCZ SSD OS Drive – Roles: Hyper-V (WHS-SharePoint-DC-SQL-Exchange-WSE 2012R2), Print Server - Rocket RAID 2720 4 x 3TB WD Red
    HTPC Build - Silverstone GD05 Case,x 2
    Travel Laptop: Lenovo U310 13.3" Windows 8.1

#5 Jason Chafin

Jason Chafin

HSS Member

• Members
    • 15 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 10:06 AM

Thanks for this. I will see what I can do and let folks know if it works!

Skins By Invisioneers