WHS 2011 Storage Strategy

• Please log in to reply
    183 replies to this topic

#181 ikon

HSS Elite Genius

• Donating Member
    • 16,090 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:32 PM

It's not the only way, but it depends on the way you're doing your USB drives. If you buy pre-built USB drives you could well be right -- I wound't know because I've never owned a pre-built external drive -- I always buy external enclosures and put my own drives into them. This way, I always know what quality of drives I'm using.

Also, some drives will spin down on their own, without being told to. This 'feature' is one reason people have trouble with, for example, WD Green drives. People connect Greenies to a RAID card and have trouble because the drives are spinning down and the RAID card thinks they've died because they don't respond fast enough, so it drops them out of the array.

Also, I believe some external enclosures, particularly multi-drive units, will spin drives down on their own. I will have to check this on my Lian-Li EX-503 enclosures although, to be honest, I'm really not that concerned if the drives run 24/7.

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

#182 Essexraptor

HSS Pro

• Members
    • 113 posts
    • LocationJust to the East of London, UK

Posted 22 March 2014 - 09:26 AM

I have one of these attached to my N40L

it does not spin down the drives but does have power sync....ie on power down or hibernation of the main unit (with lights off) the HDD's power down

#183 Darkk

HSS Member

• Members
    • 36 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 10:24 PM

First, I like Option A the most.

• I use RoboCopy. I run it from a CMD file that is invoked automatically by Task Scheduler. I have nothing against the others (well, SyncToy turned out to not be able to do 1 or 2 things I wanted so I gave up on it); RoboCopy is just my preference.
    • I have no comment on the cloud services as I don't use them. My bandwidth cap makes it impractical.
    • my WHS2011 Client Backups are kept on the same drive as my Data Pool. They get backed up to a Nearline external storage box AND an OffSite storage box, along with my data. The backups are done using RoboCopy.
    • I don't know if it's industry best practice, but storing data 'flat' as you say, is my own best practice. It has worked for me for a very long time.
    • The Scheduled Tasks that backup from my WHS to the NearLine and OffSite units are on my WHS. I have another Scheduled Task on my Win7 main desktop that RoboCopies My Documents to the server, and then back again (because I may have put new files into those folders on the server from another computer).
    • I keep the OS backup external, and rotate 2 drives offsite.
    • I do not include any data in the server backup. For me, it's a means to restore the server OS in case of catastrophic failure.
    • IIRC, the eSATA port on the N40L is NOT multi-port aware.
    • whether or not to use encryption is really up to you. It depends on how sensitive the data is, and how likely it is that it might fall into the wrong hands.
    Here's an image of my server setup:
    Top Shelf (left to right): CyberPower UPS, Lian-Li EX-503 for NearLine storage, Lian-Li EX-503 for OffSite storage.
    2nd Shelf (left to right): USB fan to cool external drive, external drive for server OS backup, Lian-Li WHS chassis

If you look closely, you will see that the Lian-Li EX-503's are labelled NearLine and OffSite. Every night, data (including client backup files) is copied from the internal 4-drive RAID-5 array to the NearLine and OffSite boxes by Scheduled RoboCopy Tasks. The OS is backed up to the external HDD dock every night as well.

Every morning, the drives in the OffSite EX-503 are removed and placed into a Pelican 1300 case for transport to the offsite location. A second Pelican case at the offsite location is brought home, and its drives are installed in the EX-503 OffSite box for that night's backup.

EDIT: Below is a shot of the 2 Pelican cases I use to transport the Offsite backup sets. I deliberately got 2 different coloured cases so I could more easily tell them apart. I had to take 2 photos because the cases are never home at the same time. As you can see, I still have room for 1 more drive in each case, should the need arise.

#ikon #backup strategy #pelican #WHS2011

Robocopy is great tool for backing up files.  I've been using it for years at the office to back up several servers onto the external hard drives on a rotation daily and weekly schedule.  I've also got it to e-mail me the logs so I can take a look at them.  

I also make use of ZFS and Windows snapshots to recover files.

For linux side I use rsync.  Both rsync and robocopy tools are easy to use and practically bullet proof long as you test your backups every once in awhile.

#184 Darkk

HSS Member

• Members
    • 36 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 11:20 PM

Love how you guys are making good use of backups.  In my previous post I talked about Robocopy at the office.  For home since all of my computers and servers are Linux based I use rsync in the scripts.   I use FreeNAS with 4 3TB WD REDs along with 5TB SeaGate external USB 3.0 attached to it.   The 5TB is used for nightly backups and hold my /home directory off of my Linux workstation as backup.

So routine is this.  For my Linux workstation I run my sync bash script to rsync anything new / different in the /home directory onto the 5TB hard drive.  I mount my VeraCrypt (TrueCrypt) encrypted 4TB 2.5 portable hard drive by SeaGate on my Linux workstation so once the script finishes backing up my /home directory to the 5TB it then copies from the 5TB onto my 4TB portable hard drive.    Once that is done I dismount VeraCrypt volume and put the 4TB hard drive into my little protective case and store it in the glove box in my car.  lol.  Yes that is my idea of offsite backups for my personal stuff which is good enough for me.   I'd never do this for work.  This way if somebody breaks into my car and steals that portable hard drive big deal since it's using triple encryption by VeraCrypt protected by a long password and key files.  Good luck breaking that.

I keep my key files on my flash drive attached to my key ring.   

So bit extreme?  Not really.  It's all about having multiple backups in case one backup system fails.

Edited by Darkk, 02 April 2016 - 11:22 PM.

Skins By Invisioneers