4 replies to this topic

#1 axoid

axoid

HSS Pro

• Members
    • 205 posts
    • LocationColumbus Ohio

Posted 09 December 2010 - 09:57 AM

The add-in will be made up of two components: The WHS UI and the Windows service.

The UI will allow the user to configure file management jobs on the settings panel. Each job will have the options: task (copy/move/delete), in which folder, file filter (Defaults to *.*), and how often (Daily,Hourly,Every # of minutes). Deletes will have the additional option of defining how old the file is before it is deleted.
    Displayed on the add-in main console screen will be a history list of the last 300 files that have been managed. There won’t be any real-time interaction between the UI and the service in the first version.

The service will perform the file management based of the setting saved from the UI. New setting changes may take up to an hour before they become active. The service will not copy, move or delete a file if it is being used by another application.

Feel free to discuss and offer suggestions.

Bill Rockhold
    HP EX490(E5700 CPU & 2Gb) w/ 5 drive SATA enclosure, WHS v.1
    DIY Build (E5800 CPU & 4Gb), WHS 2011 w/Drive Pool.
    Acer Icona W700 tablet, HP DV7 laptop, DIY Desktop (AMD 965 Black & 8gb)

#2 HSS-Dave

HSS-Dave

Founder

• Administrators
    • 2,084 posts
    • LocationIndiana

Posted 09 December 2010 - 01:55 PM

Sounds like the start of a good Add-In. Is it possible to monitor a share or drive letter on the server and copy it's contents to another share or drive letter? Without any further interaction? Say I copy a photo to a folder I would like it automatically copied to wherever I designated via the UI.

What's the underlying engine for file manipulation? Robocopy?
    Host of The Home Server Show Podcast.
    Windows Home Server MVP 2009 - 2013 Surface MVP - 2014

#3 axoid

axoid

HSS Pro

• Members
    • 205 posts
    • LocationColumbus Ohio

Posted 10 December 2010 - 08:31 AM

[quote name='HSS-Dave' timestamp='1291924535' post='14623']
    Sounds like the start of a good Add-In. Is it possible to monitor a share or drive letter on the server and copy it's contents to another share or drive letter? Without any further interaction? Say I copy a photo to a folder I would like it automatically copied to wherever I designated via the UI.

What's the underlying engine for file manipulation? Robocopy?
    [/quote]

The add-in will monitor any specified folder that is viewable from the server OS. That includes the shares, system drive or any other drive or part of the file system. It will be able to do the photo copy that example that you described.
    One thing I’m wondering about is would people want the file recopied every time the action job was executed, or only copied the first time it finds the file or have it monitor the file for the last modified date to change and then copy it again? Do you want the copy to overwrite the file if it is already there or make that configurable?

There wont be an underlying engine. C# has a file management API to handle copy, move and delete. The rest is just adding logic and control around it.

Bill Rockhold

#4 jmwills

jmwills

HSS Genius

• Donating Member
    • 7,644 posts
    • LocationHuntsville, AL

Posted 10 December 2010 - 10:17 AM

Is this for Vail for Version 1? There is a similar option withing Server 2008R2 that will age files and allow you to delete,move, etc given a defined set of date parameters.

Windows 7 Desktop - Antec 100 Case, Intel D8H67BL, OCZ 550W PSU, Intel i3-530 CPU w/16GB G-Skill DDR3 1333 RAM
    Server 2012 - Fractal Arc Midi, CoolerMaster M600 PSU, ASUS P8H67V, Intel i5-2500 CPU w/32GBG-Skill DDR3 1333 RAM, 90 GIG OCZ SSD OS Drive – Roles: Hyper-V (WHS-SharePoint-DC-SQL-Exchange-WSE 2012R2), Print Server - Rocket RAID 2720 4 x 3TB WD Red
    HTPC Build - Silverstone GD05 Case,x 2
    Travel Laptop: Lenovo U310 13.3" Windows 8.1

#5 axoid

axoid

HSS Pro

• Members
    • 205 posts
    • LocationColumbus Ohio

Posted 15 December 2010 - 10:56 AM

This will be for V1 for now. I'm not sure I'm going to go to Vail, though I have the beta to install.

Bill Rockhold

Skins By Invisioneers