• Please log in to reply
    22 replies to this topic

#21 ikon

ikon

HSS Elite Master

• Donating Member
    • 14,033 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:50 PM

[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]That would be techy cool. I don't do enough transcoding to use it, but it would be cool to see anyway.[/font]

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

#22 radiog33k

radiog33k

HSS 1 Post Wonder

• Members
    • 1 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:26 PM

the transcode farming idea is great and something I have been thinking about as well. With many households moving to 2 or more laptops rather than a dedicated "family PC", there is lot of compute power going to waste. What a great way to harness that!

#23 axoid

axoid

HSS Pro

• Members
    • 206 posts
    • LocationColumbus Ohio

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:26 AM

I've been thinking about it and it is doable. What I have in mind wouldn't be like 3D render-farming where a single job would be handled across multiple machines. This would be limited to each machine transcoding a single job and the server being the management controller. I also think I would have video files transferred over the apps own communication link instead of using file shares. It's more coding but simpler to to configure and you don't have to worry about share permissions.

I'm not going to get to this too soon, I'm currently working on a significant update to Poca for WHS v.1 and creating a general server version that will be compatible with 2011 or any windows server.

Bill Rockhold
    HP EX490(E5700 CPU & 2Gb) w/ 5 drive SATA enclosure, WHS v.1
    DIY Build (E5800 CPU & 4Gb), WHS 2011 w/Drive Pool.
    Acer Icona W700 tablet, HP DV7 laptop, DIY Desktop (AMD 965 Black & 8gb)

Skins By Invisioneers