Ncage1974

Any reason to opt for windows server 2016 over windows 10 for a file server?

7 posts in this topic

Hi guys...my server just died the other day (dead power supply) and was thinking, after i installed server 2016, why even use server 2016 over windows 10 for the file server. If i had to pay for windows server it would absolutely be windows 10 but i get either for free. I run stablebit (which i absolutely love). The only thing i could think of that would be a possible advantage would be if i wanted to setup nic teaming but honestly i don't think i need it. So your probably asking why am i even contemplating if i get windows server for free? Well it all has to do with AV....while i get server 2016 for free i don't have a free AV and honestly i would would like something better on my file server than windows defender and unfortunately as you all know AV software that runs on servers is not cheap. I ran malwarebytes for awhile but its pretty dang bloated. A lot of times i would log onto the server and it would be consuming ~500MB of memory and honestly my trust in malwarebytes has been going down. I run bitdefender free on a lot of my VMS which i like but will probably get the paid version if i switch to windows 10. What do you guys think?

first I think AV could be a whole long discussion thread, for my server '16 box I use the one ms provides, and for my 2008r2 box I use the one sophos gives out when you use UTM. that said, the whole question is up to your preference.

between my laptop with windows 10 and the server with server 2016, I see no apparent differences in reliability. if you review your 'other' needs beyond file sharing you may find some difference of import, like if you want to stream video or something...

but bottom line, you can get both for free, so there is not much risk in switching later if you find a reason your initial choice was sub-optimal. (I never tried to set up raid 1 on win10, can it do software raid?)

It depends on what you are doing with your file server but the one that stands out for me as a clear winner is Data Deduplication, it can save a huge amount of space. On one of my production servers at a client where we are saving a couple of TB. Also depending on how far you want to take it you have things such as storage spaces and caching, NFS, DFS and a whole bunch more.

hmmm. I always thought about de-dup in terms of the backup process, you inspired me to see what it is about.  Supposedly it got some extra attention in the server 16 release. unfortunately, since I chose the 'essentials' variant for my build I don't get that capability. maybe next time I rebuild...

thanks for bringing that up!

1. NIC teaming, or its Windows equivalent SMB multichannel, has been baked into the client version since 8.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/josebda/2012/06/28/the-basics-of-smb-multichannel-a-feature-of-windows-server-2012-and-smb-3-0/

So start  dual cabling your servers and workstations!

2. Patching and Defender are good enough for me on a clean file server where I don't install any programs, just export folders.

Thanks guys for all the replies. From what i've read i think i'm going to go back to windows 10. The data dedup while interesting isn't going to save me a lot of space with the type of data i have. The av software i'm wanting to run is more for other machines than the file server itself. I don't run that many things on the file server so there isn't much risk but i want to make sure i have something really good to scan all the files i have stored on the server to protect other machines. There are many factors of course with AV software like flexibility, scan speed, detection rates, ect... I have quite a bit of data to scan. If server AV was decently priced i would probably stick with windows 10 but as soon put "server" on something AV companies want to charge you 4 times as much.

well those servers are made of gold after all!