Jason

Unable to RDP to WSE12R2 (US) from the U.K.?

12 posts in this topic

I'm traveling on business and, oddly enough, I'm unable to access my WSE12R2 box at all via RDP. In fact, I can connect to my Sophos UTM admin via web browser without issue (non-standard port number), but cannot establish an Open VPN connection to the Sophos UTM box or connect to the server via it's *.remotewebaccess.com Microsoft address. Unfortunately this wasn't something I could test prior to leaving

Seems perhaps U.K. Internet providers block traffic to the US or specific port numbers?

Am trying to find some sort of "safe" workaround. All suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does "HTTPS" work? 

As in, the remotewebaccess.com domain works for you, correct? 
If so, then specify the system's name, and the configure the advanced options. Specify the "remotewebaccess.com" domain as the "RD Gateway". 

This should then allow you to connect to the server. 

Otherwise, use the NAT option to enable the RDP port, temporarily (3389, IIRC)

Unfortunately I cannot HTTPS to anything on port 443 in the US. HTTPS://*.remotewebaccess.com doesn't even resolve. No, that domain doesn't resolve at all.

Then opening a port and forwarding it to the server, via Sophos is probably your best bet then. 

Am embarrassed. As luck would have it, seems I had Country Blocking enabled for any traffic FROM Britain. Fortunately I was able to login and disable that parameter from Sophos UTM's admin UI and it now seems to work. In other words, it was entirely user error and Sophos shined again!

hahaha, yeah, that would do it. :P

And don't worry, I've done some pretty stupid stuff too. :)

1 person likes this

Spent last 2 wks in London on business. While I had the worst wifi experience ever while traveling, both WSE12R2 and Sophos UTM VPNs worked great from my MacBook Pro to access my home network remotely.

Are you using the free Sophos image installed on a custom box or a proper XG? I've thought about putting the free Sophos on an MSG8 as it allows 50 clients. Also used to use XG at work and found it really useful and simple but I am wondering how the freebie compares?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I am using the Sophos UTM 9.4 free
home edition. May ultimately upgrade to XG Home once they release a confirm migration tool. Or perhaps the latest Untangle v13. For now, if not broken am not fixing.

Are you running as a VM or on the machine?

I've never run a UTM as a VM. It's run on dedicated hardware with 4 Gigabit NICs. However only 2 are in use. WAN and LAN interfaces.

Thanks for all your answers Jason. I think I'd do the same but it's good to hear of working examples of what one is looking do do!

Aside from the WiFi, I hope you enjoyed England :)