GB77

N54L not detecting OWC1333D3ECC4GB

5 posts in this topic

Hi All,

Dug out an N54L I had bought but never used to run Xpenelogy. I thought I'd play it safe and just use 4GB ECC DIMS as stability is more important (doubt I'd need 16GB for Xpenology + VPN plugin bare metal). So I ordered one DIMM initially of OWC1333D3ECC4GB.

Stuck it in with the existing 2GB DIMM and Xpenelogy is only reporting 2GB RAM :( Swapped the positions and still the same. I'm running headless and don't have USB keyboard to hand so can't check post.

Anyone used this RAM? Bought from Amazon (themselves, not third party) and specs say its unregistered ECC RAM, so wasn't expecting problems. Any help greatly appreciated. Run into lots of problems with the CCTV this NAS is serving and getting quite frustrated now the N54L Ram is giving me another issue.

Checked on the Xpenelogy forum and confirmed it isn't a software issue. 

So either a bad DIMM or issue with the N54L. Its not the slot as have tried switching them around.

Thanks for responding.

I plan to do that tomorrow. Its plugged in the eaves and been testing/configuring xpenelogy, so I was waiting for a couple of WD RED's to arrive before pulling it apart again.

I've been doing some reading and seen people mention running 6GB ECC without issue. So I think its going to be a bad DIMM or the N54L being picky. I can't seem to find the BIOS update tools on the HP website anymore.

Got a chance to try the 4GB DIMM on its own and no joy. Power button went green and network light flashing, but HP symbol wouldn't light up. Running headless so couldnt check post. Removed it and back with 2GB only now. Will RMA to Amazon.