Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rayman

Drive array configuration not saved - Help needed!

8 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hello guys,

I'm having troubles configuring my drive arrays in HP Intelligent Provisioning since I reset my server configuration.

I have the latest version of IP installed (the 1.64B). I can go into it, launch SSA, configure the arrays. Before exiting IP, if I go again into SSA, I can still see my configuration. Then, after exiting IP and rebooting, during POST I can see my arrays in iLO, but during POST I get the message "1785-Drive array not configured" and finally I can't see the volumes in the Windows installer (with the B120i driver loaded of course).

It happened to me before, but at that time I was launching SSA (with F5) at POST instead of going through Intelligent Provisioning. And at a moment I tried through IP and it worked (the array configuration was actually saved) but I don't know why. As it was working, I didn't really try to understand. But now I'm stuck.

Do you guys have an idea of what I should do to have my configuration saved?

I would really appreciate your help.

Thanks!

Edited by Rayman

Hi mate

I think the problem is that those controllers has no abillity to delete raid settings completely from software level. Only way to do this is to turn off the server, unplug power cable and then remove battery. If that didn't help and you don't care what is on you hard drives, try connecting them to other computer and run DISKPART, select disk and issue CLEAN. This will delete array info from disk permanently. Share with your results.

I am struggling with a very similar problem on one of my Gen 8 devices with 4x RAID 0 disks, after using the following sequence to replace the disks in bays 3 and 4.

1. Boot to SSA with F5. Delete RAID 0 arrays in bays 3 and 4.Shut down.

2. Remove disks in bays 3 and 4. Insert new disks.

3. Boot to SSA with F5. Add RAID 0 arrays in bays 3 and 4. Restart.

4. Windows 10 Pro comes up from the disk in bay 1.

5. Launching Disk Administrator in W10 shows the old disk layout. Rescan gives the 2 new disks as unrecognised and not initialised. Initialising and formatting shows the correct new sizes. Restart from W10.

6. During POST all array configurations appear lost and no logical disks are found. No boot locations are visible. Shutdown.

I'll post the actual messages from the array diagnostics utility ...

... but I am currently creating a 3rd copy (of 4TB) before exploring further.

As RAID 0 disks I believe the data will be readable on another device (I like something like an AKASA DUODOCK for this job)  but I don't want to chance it. One reason to go with copies and not RAID or STORAGE SPACES.

Posted (edited)

Message 1 (error during POST)

1785 Drive Array not configured

Message 2 (error in SSA)

720 Dynamic Smart Array B120i RAID in embedded slot has an unsupported configuration ...

Message 3 (only a warning in SSA)

809 Array controller read cache was configured ... but the system was unable to allocate the requested system memory. The raid memory cache is set to 0 MiB.

Mounting the disks in another device I see that data disks (in bays 2,3 and 4) are all intact ... but the OS disk in bay 1 is not even initialised.

It seems that between SSA and Windows Disk Administrator rescan, the array configuration has been lost, followed by an attempt to write to the OS disk, destroying its structure.

I have rebuilt the server using another disk for the OS and restoring the data disks without incident ...

... and will try to see what has happened to the OS disk and what error message 809 means.

Warning message 809 is still issued after rebuilding, so I need to understand what it means! It looks like the key to the problem.

Edited by JackoUK

Have you tried removing cmos battery?

Message 1 (error during POST)

1785 Drive Array not configured

Message 2 (error in SSA)

720 Dynamic Smart Array B120i RAID in embedded slot has an unsupported configuration ...

Message 3 (only a warning in SSA)

809 Array controller read cache was configured ... but the system was unable to allocate the requested system memory. The raid memory cache is set to 0 MiB.

Mounting the disks in another device I see that data disks (in bays 2,3 and 4) are all intact ... but the OS disk in bay 1 is not even initialised.

It seems that between SSA and Windows Disk Administrator rescan, the array configuration has been lost, followed by an attempt to write to the OS disk, destroying its structure.

I have rebuilt the server using another disk for the OS and restoring the data disks without incident ...

... and will try to see what has happened to the OS disk and what error message 809 means.

Warning message 809 is still issued after rebuilding, so I need to understand what it means! It looks like the key to the problem.

Does this server have 2GB of memory? If so, I think this is the issue with '809' error:

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/6655-b120i-controller-read-cache-error/

Thanks SD ... that looks like the cause: all my servers have 2GB.

A search on "809 controller B120i" would have brought me right back here!

Guess I'll just have to get off my backside, add 2GB more memory and perform the mod to enable that 5th SATA port for data.

I see recent Gen 8 machines all come with 4GB as standard.