1 reply to this topic

#1 jking1024

jking1024

HSS 1 Post Wonder

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 05:25 PM

Hi,

My dad told me his WHS 2011 server was not backing up, and so I went and looked at it. Since WHS misbehavior troubleshooting requires a brain the size of Jupiter, I'm not sure I have the source of the problem, but according to the Event Viewer one of the hard drive mirrors (two 1TB HDD in a RAID 1 mirror) has bad sectors, and in fact WHS can see both drives, which makes think the drive hardware is not longer running them as a raid. I know all the drives are old, so I told him to buy new ones.

In prep for new ones, I told WHS to move the Client Backup folder from the bad drive to another data drive. Ir ran for a bit, and then tossed some errors (that my dad didn't catch) and tried to revert the move. That also threw an error and stopped.

Can I just replace the bad HDD and then tell WHS to re-create the folder and not worry about the old backups on the bad drive? What will WHS do when it can't find the Client Backup share?

#2 eddie563

eddie563

HSS Star

• Members
  • 78 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, United Kingdom.

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:22 AM

I have never used WHS but from the hardware point of view the logic tells me if its in a mirror, why dont you replace the defunct disk, let the raid rebuild ? then your mirror will be healthy again, if you want, you could then replace the second old drive and rebuild the raid again. i would just pause any jobs set to run to those disks during the rebuild time.