jking1024

Moving Client Backup share from dying drive

4 posts in this topic

Hi,

My dad told me his WHS 2011 server was not backing up, and so I went and looked at it. Since WHS misbehavior troubleshooting requires a brain the size of Jupiter, I'm not sure I have the source of the problem, but according to the Event Viewer one of the hard drive mirrors (two 1TB HDD in a RAID 1 mirror) has bad sectors, and in fact WHS can see both drives, which makes think the drive hardware is not longer running them as a raid. I know all the drives are old, so I told him to buy new ones.

In prep for new ones, I told WHS to move the Client Backup folder from the bad drive to another data drive. Ir ran for a bit, and then tossed some errors (that my dad didn't catch) and tried to revert the move. That also threw an error and stopped.

Can I just replace the bad HDD and then tell WHS to re-create the folder and not worry about the old backups on the bad drive? What will WHS do when it can't find the Client Backup share?

I have never used WHS but from the hardware point of view the logic tells me if its in a mirror, why dont you replace the defunct disk, let the raid rebuild ? then your mirror will be healthy again, if you want, you could then replace the second old drive and rebuild the raid again. i would just pause any jobs set to run to those disks during the rebuild time.

Yes, you can do this, but you will lose the old backups. 

Additionally, it sounds like you're using Dynamic disks to RAID the disks. If so, that is a bad idea. Dynamic disks are fraught with issues. 

That said, alternatives like Drive Bender or StableBit DrivePool+StableBit Scanner may get better results with fewer issues (or at least, easier to "fix" when it goes wrong). 

No, I have a HP Microserver, and I'm using the MB's RAID hardware. It's an AMD system, and not so friendly as Intel's. For some reason, it kicked one of the hard drives out of the RAID (it's listed as a single drive) and the other started having issues. Since that BIOS doesn't support fixing RAIDS (not that I could tell: the BIOS text interface is worthless), and I wanted to upgrade to 1 TB drives, I couldn't repair it. So I pulled both drives, put in new ones (again in a RAID1) and moved the Client Backup store to the new drives. We didn't need the old backups anyways.

Additionally, it sounds like you're using Dynamic disks to RAID the disks. If so, that is a bad idea. Dynamic disks are fraught with issues. 

Oh, HECK NO! That little Microserver is an AMD dual-core 800Mhz processor. I cringe at the thought of a MS Dynamic RAID. It's bad enough just waiting for the Dashboard to come up (takes ~2 min).

Edited by jking1024