Dave

Forums Upgrade - Heads Up

38 posts in this topic

Hey All,

It's time to move to the upgrade.  Things are going to look funky around here until I get it all complete.  I have to disable plugins and all the extra stuff I have running here.  There will also be some downtime.  I'm hoping to do it sometime this weekend but due to life moving fast I can't schedule it properly.  Whenever I get a 4 or 5 hour window I'm going to run with it.

A couple of new things that will happen after the upgrade.  

The Friend system will turn into a follower system.  You can follow someone and not have to worry about reciprocating the friendship thing.  It's kind of like Twitter that way.

Currently each user has a user name (used to login to the site) and a display name (your actual name on the site) - with the upgrade, this separation of names will be removed and the display name will become the user name with which to log in to the site.  THIS IS HUGE. Make sure you know yours.

How does this affect you?

If your log in name and display name are currently the same then you're unaffected. You'll simply log in as you did prior to the upgrade.

If your log in name and display name are not currently the same then you will need to change over to logging in with your display name AFTER the upgrade.

In addition to the above, I will also be enabling the ability to log in to the forum using your email address - it will be up to you how you log in after the upgrade, either using your display name or your email address.  I recommend checking your profile right now to make sure they are all up to date. Add a photo too!

In advance of these changes, it may be time for you to ensure that your email address used on the site is a valid and current address. Why? After the upgrade, if you have any issues remembering your login details then you will need to use the relevant 'forgot log in name' or 'forgot password' links on the site - and these details are sent out by email. So if you don't have a valid and current email address then you won't be receiving those items.

Dave

Well that wasn't so bad right?  Ok, yeah, I didn't get it done this weekend.  The weather was so nice! It was a great weekend!  I'll work on it this week.

2 people like this

Did some data tasks today. Sorry for the brief outage.  More coming though.

Moving some data around so it's going to be SLOOOOOOWWWWWW for a little bit.

One more time.  Forum going offline in a few minutes for data support and then the upgrade. Finally!

Posted (edited)

I have recently upgraded a large community (www.vr6oc.com) if you need any info just let me know but sounds like you have it all in hand already :)

Edited by VR6Pete

Doing some work this afternoon.  You may see some downtime.

Reminder - 

It's time to move to the upgrade.  Things are going to look funky around here until I get it all complete.  I have to disable plugins and all the extra stuff I have running here.  There will also be some downtime.  I'm hoping to do it sometime this weekend but due to life moving fast I can't schedule it properly.  Whenever I get a 4 or 5 hour window I'm going to run with it.

A couple of new things that will happen after the upgrade.  

The Friend system will turn into a follower system.  You can follow someone and not have to worry about reciprocating the friendship thing.  It's kind of like Twitter that way.

Currently each user has a user name (used to login to the site) and a display name (your actual name on the site) - with the upgrade, this separation of names will be removed and the display name will become the user name with which to log in to the site.  THIS IS HUGE. Make sure you know yours.

How does this affect you?

If your log in name and display name are currently the same then you're unaffected. You'll simply log in as you did prior to the upgrade.

If your log in name and display name are not currently the same then you will need to change over to logging in with your display name AFTER the upgrade.

In addition to the above, I will also be enabling the ability to log in to the forum using your email address - it will be up to you how you log in after the upgrade, either using your display name or your email address.  I recommend checking your profile right now to make sure they are all up to date. Add a photo too!

In advance of these changes, it may be time for you to ensure that your email address used on the site is a valid and current address. Why? After the upgrade, if you have any issues remembering your login details then you will need to use the relevant 'forgot log in name' or 'forgot password' links on the site - and these details are sent out by email. So if you don't have a valid and current email address then you won't be receiving those items.

Dave

It looks a little different around here!  Use your "Display Name" to login from now on.  I'll tidy up the look when I get everything sorted out.  The upgrade is still technically in progress so things may look missing. Hang in there and I'll let you know when everything is complete.

Tapatalk is back up. 

Tapatalk is back up. 

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

1 person likes this

Yep ... Nice

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

1 person likes this

Nice Dave :)

1 person likes this

Signatures and Gravatar back on.  Sigs restored although they now look funny to me since there is a function bar between them and the actual post.  I'll look into that.

1 person likes this

It looks like signatures are spread out (like there are extra line returns now).  It will help if everyone reviews their signatures and condenses them down.  Otherwise there is a lot of extra scrolling to get thru posts.

1 person likes this

Good catch Chris.  Here is how.

You have the option of hiding Signatures. Look for an x with a drop arrow on the right side of the sig box in a post. Or you can do it in settings.

Signatures

Upper Right Corner

Drop Down Menu by your Display Name

Account Settings

Signatures

Go through all of these settings. You have a ton of choice.  Also, look at your profile, add a photo.  You can also add a background.  Click my head to see mine.

Nice job on the upgrade.

1 person likes this

Have edited my sig by deleting all hard returns and replacing with soft ones (shift + enter).  This has reduced it by 5 lines. Thanks Chris.

One small point: The word "Location" and the actual location run into each other.  Dave needs to add 1 space or a colon after "Location".

1 person likes this

Yeah, had to edit my signature as well.  Also, it changed font size or something too... 

But now I'm linking to the Covecube forums for my server hardware. Since I have a rack, and a good amount of hardware in it ... I think a simple shortcut is easier. :P  Also, one less place to update when I add more hardware!

But looking good!  Just needs a "night mode", because OW MY EYES. All the white. 

Not getting any notifications or email alerts to replies to topics I've posted despite enabling "notify me of replies"

4 hours ago, VR6Pete said:

Not getting any notifications or email alerts to replies to topics I've posted despite enabling "notify me of replies"

Odd, I'm definitely getting notifications and email alerts about posts. 

Make sure that "forums@homeservershow.com" is not being blocked/filtered/marked as junk. 

Strangely enough they have now started to work. 

I will monitor. 

I'm getting all of mine. Let me know if you see anything out of normal.  

Also, I'm testing skins with mods and admins right now.  I'm curious as to what your preference is considering light and dark.  I recall loading a dark theme several years ago and got a lot of push back on it.  Do you like a dark theme? Would you like the option? Apologies for the mind bending white as it is now.  We are running stock until I can iron out all the little details on a new one.

Yes, please on the dark theme.  

If possible, a "night mode" would be best.  Eg, light during the day, and dark at night.  I'm not sure if that's possible. 

But personally, I'm a night owl, and would greatly appreciate a night/dark theme. 

Change your OS, Windows 10 Creator has a night mode...

Easier for Dave if you change your OS rather than him messing with the forums lol