1 reply to this topic

#1 diehard

diehard

HSS Elite

• Moderators
    • 1,627 posts
    • LocationMontreal

Posted 07 November 2010 - 09:05 AM

It's taking a while for the next beta of Vail/Aurora to come out, then there will have to be the RC and then the RTM, then the final release. Then there is talk that unless there is more functionality, most users would not upgrade. Why pay over $100 and not get much. There will be no upgrade path. You will have to find a way to copy over all your data to the new version. That alone is a lot of work. Is it worth it ?

So I have been wondering if bringing the newer theme from Vail/Aurora to WHS v1 is worth the time to develop or even posible. Of course you won't have the extra funtionality that Vail/Auroura brings. Themes are available in Windows 7, why not WHS v1 ?

What do you think ?

EX470 modified BIOS BE-2300 CPU 4Gig ram, 4 2TB HDD. DX4000 with 4 2TB HDD Storage Server2008 R2 Essentials.
    Microsoft MVP - Windows Home Server

#2 pcdoc

pcdoc

HSS Legend

• Moderators
    • 3,957 posts
    • LocationLos Angeles, California

Posted 07 November 2010 - 10:44 AM

For me, I am more about the the overall functionality as I do not spend much time in the console. Although different, I like the look of WHS v1 as well as the Vail, however what appeals to me is the overall package and functionality. I would not mind getting a V1 face lift and would jump at the chance, but at the end of the day it is about the extra functionality and features such as the new remote interface and streaming. As for the upgrade path, I think that MS made a strategic mistake here. Creaming the OS is one thing, but the data is a different story. I am sure there is a bunch of technical reasons why this makes sense so we have to live with it. As for me, I have an empty 13T server just waiting for Vail so I can begin the copying process but I just wish they would hurry up and release this thing.

Main Server - WHS 2011, Core I5-2500, 12T RAID 5 (5x3T) + 2T of Mirror + 2T of backup
    Second Server - 2012, Core I5-2500, 12T RAID 5
    Main Systems - Core I5-4770, 16 Gigs DDR3-1600, 180 Gig Intel 330 SSD. 240 Gig Intel 520, 3T Seagate - Other systems - Core I7-2600, 2 x Core I5-2500, Core I5-4570S, Core I3-2100, and G620

My Blog - The Doc's World
    Tablet Resource - BYOB Videos - TheBYOBPodcast

For More Information:

Computer Systems

Home Network

Skins By Invisioneers