• Please log in to reply
    5 replies to this topic

#1 AllToga

AllToga

HSS Pro

• Members
    • 121 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 02:59 PM

I would like an add-in that would sync a WHS server to another WHS server over the internet. I would like it to be able to define which shares to send, and what security to have with them (will the other WHS see only encrypted files, be able to read the files, or read and edit the files and have the changes sync back).

This would help with collaborative projects where content is shared back and forth.

Also, this would be a great back up solution. You build a WHS for yourself, and one for a family member, and they both back up to each other (the data would back up)
    Remember, everything said has already been said.

Video (12 seconds)

#2 TheWiz

TheWiz

HSS Member

• Members
    • 43 posts
    • LocationUS

Posted 05 November 2010 - 05:17 PM

Hey AllToga,

This is a pretty interesting concept, that can probably easily be done within the network means of C# and .NET. Definitely like this idea, maybe some other people can comment on this as well to see what kind of interest there is for this.

Chris

#3 Mr Bill

Mr Bill

HSS Star

• Members
    • 84 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 06:52 PM

[size="3"][font="Calibri"]I for one would be interested in this. I would be interested in the following situation. I would have my home server that does all of the backups and shares. Then I would have an offsite server just for backing up my home server. No other use for the offsite server.[/font][/size]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"] [/size][/font]

[size="3"][font="Calibri"]Thanks for raising this as a possible add-in solution.[/font][/size]

Mr. Bill

HP MediaSmart EX-490
    Synology DS1812+

#4 SteveH SW Portland OR

SteveH SW Portland OR

HSS 1 Post Wonder

• Members
    • 3 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 12:29 PM

I really want an add-in that will do this. This is something I have been wanting almost from day one.

If you are a Developer please take this on.

#5 krom

krom

HSS Pro

• Donating Member
    • 272 posts
    • LocationWestern New York

Posted 19 November 2010 - 01:58 PM

Definitely an interesting concept. Especially if it would scale up to Aurora for small business too.
    Main system: AMD Phenom 9600, 4GB RAM, Win 7 Pro, Dell 2407WFP
    Main server: AMD Athlon 5050e, 2GB RAM, WHS v1, 9.32TB

#6 mysticgeek

mysticgeek

HSS Star

• Members
    • 87 posts
    • LocationRural MN

Posted 19 November 2010 - 04:14 PM

[quote name='Mr Bill' timestamp='1289004739' post='12720']
    [size="3"][font="Calibri"]I for one would be interested in this. I would be interested in the following situation. I would have my home server that does all of the backups and shares. Then I would have an offsite server just for backing up my home server. No other use for the offsite server.[/font][/size]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"] [/size][/font]

[size="3"][font="Calibri"]Thanks for raising this as a possible add-in solution.[/font][/size]
    [/quote]

I like this idea as well. A WHS to backup WHS...heh. I suppose you could just back everything up to a NAS, but an Add-In that is able to backup directly from one WHS to another would definitely be interesting.

Skins By Invisioneers