• Please log in to reply
    2 replies to this topic

#1 AllToga

AllToga

HSS Pro

• Members
    • 121 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 02:10 PM

I would like to see an add-in to allow for network streaming to the Roku media player.

Right now there is an independent channel available for the Roku called RoksBox. It is a pay channel ($15, with 30 day free trial), and it allows for the streaming of content from a the local network to the roku player. It can play pics, music, as well as some video. The hard part is that the channel needs a web server to serve up the content.

I believe that IIS can be used to serve up the content to the RoksBox. I imagine this would be just an add-in to define which shares to use (one for music, one for pics, and one for video), and then define the website in IIS (maybe also define the port to be used.)

More information on the RoksBox channel can be found here: http://roksbox.com/home/
    Remember, everything said has already been said.

Video (12 seconds)

#2 TheWiz

TheWiz

HSS Member

• Members
    • 43 posts
    • LocationUS

Posted 05 November 2010 - 05:23 PM

Yeah I have to check out this RokuBox. I've read a lot about it but probably need to get some more info on it to pull of this kind of addin. Also, please note from the poll I got running, we can choose on of these addin ideas to use for our developer conference.

Chris

#3 AllToga

AllToga

HSS Pro

• Members
    • 121 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 06:10 PM

My immediate need is for this add-in. I just had a horrible experience with IIS. I remoted into my server and started trying to create a website. Well, I was able to get it half running on the Roku, so I was finalizing it, then I realized that I broke another add-in. Luckily, it was Digital Arch Hound, and those guys went out of their way to fix it for me. they even remoted into my server and fixed it.

Then I was committed to only do things that wouldn't affect any other add-in. Well, I did something wrong again, and broke it again. I was going to live without the Digital Archound until Vail, and I could do a server re-fresh, but then I realized that it also broke a vital add-in, Keep Vault.

I committed myself to do a server re-install, but I had problems with drivers and it couldn't see all of my drives. So I resorted to a fresh install of WHS. Now I'm trying to copy 13 drives of data to the new server.

Yes, I've finally learned my lesson. I'm not touching IIS anymore.
    Remember, everything said has already been said.

Video (12 seconds)

Skins By Invisioneers