• Please log in to reply
    7 replies to this topic

#1 edamiga1

edamiga1

HSS Pro

• Members
    • 112 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 09:25 AM

I am about to build out a rack mounted server that will by the host of my future vail server and potentially convert my V1 server over to. My current question is just on the best case. I plan on having at max 12 drives, but probably only 8. I want to be able to be able to put normal sized motherboards in and full hight cards, so I think I need a 3U size. I will be putting Hyper-V on the core install with 2 drives in RAID 0 as my core boot drive and then I would have 8 or so other drives installed. I think I will do laptop hard drives for my boot drives, but not committed to this, mainly focused on lower power. I plan on putting home server as a vm and then dedicating specific hard drives and network cards to it. I plan is to put the next vail build on it and I think I will also put my V1 server on it. then I can simply decomission V1 and move to V2 without having to shut down anything and just move data from one to the other and it wouldn't even go off my machine, just between the VMs.

What I would like to know is what is the best rack mountable case with at least 8 hot swappable drives in it. I am open to buying a seperate power supply for it, but probably would limit to 500Watts or less. I am willing to spend around $100 for the power supply and $200 for the case and can go over if there is a good reason. I want something that lasts. To me the case is just a container, other thatn the power supply, so not sure why I should spend much for it. Power consumption is also an issue, so I want to minmize this.

This is for my personal use, so it would not be the end of the world if it goes down, but obviously want something that lasts.

Looking for input on what is the best case to go with and should I replace the power supply that comes with it. I typically buy from Amazon or NewEgg, so links to either works for me.

#2 no-control

no-control

HSS Elite

• BYOB Podcasters
    • 1,783 posts
    • LocationSoCal

Posted 04 November 2010 - 11:02 AM

My old monster VM build was in a norco 4220. It was a 4U that had 20 hot swap bays and the backplane. considering the cost ($350) it dirt cheap for the features. Since you don't provide a budget or features you want I'll assume you don't need/want the hotswap and/or will add in your as needed. You also do not say if rackspace is a premium (3U max?) there are a lot more choices in the 4U size.

For a 3U iStarUSA makes some cheap cases. They are functional but a little too cheap for me. but I must say I've used their hot swap cages and those aren't too bad.

Here are the norco cases great bang for the buck! The 450B is a fairly solid unit considering its only $80

Anything more than this and your getting into the likes of supermicro etc... Really Really nice cases and expensive as well.

some pics of the norco
    Posted Image
    Posted Image

VISIT MY BLOG
    Find me on the internet

I've been censored by the HSS

#3 edamiga1

edamiga1

HSS Pro

• Members
    • 112 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 01:23 PM

4U is fine and I will look at the links you posted. I need to measure the depth and make sure I can handle 25.5 inches.
    The hot swap is nice but not critical. One question would be do you lose any future upgrade path to go to SATA 3 or are they just pass through connections. This would be my only concern, as I see that 6GB transfer might be better in the future, but not sure how critical this is. Thoughts...

#4 diehard

diehard

HSS Elite

• Moderators
    • 1,612 posts
    • LocationMontreal

Posted 05 November 2010 - 01:18 PM

Now that is a beast Mike, thanks.

If you don't want or need a DVD/Blu-Ray drive, you can give it up for 4 more drive bays with the 4224 case. Also, these boxes are quite noisy. Norco is making a fan replacement plate available for $11

Some good info here by Jim Clark http://www.wegotserv...-norco-rpc4224/

EX470 modified BIOS BE-2300 CPU 4Gig ram, 4 2TB HDD. DX4000 with 4 2TB HDD Storage Server2008 R2 Essentials.
    Microsoft MVP - Windows Home Server

#5 AllToga

AllToga

HSS Pro

• Members
    • 121 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 08:29 PM

I have the Norco case, and yes, it's loud. Luckily it's in the basement, and my speakers can overpower it, but it's loud. You defintely notice when you turn it off. Other than that, it's great. It works and it had a good bay-per-dollar ratio.

But it has 20 bays, and you only need 8. I got mine and only put 6 drives in it, but now I'm up to 13, and 2 more are arriving tomorrow!
    Remember, everything said has already been said.

Video (12 seconds)

#6 edamiga1

edamiga1

HSS Pro

• Members
    • 112 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 08:31 PM

Just realized that my rack is only 18" deep, so I cannot use the ones that are being recommended. Are there any suggestions with this limitaion or will I just have to go with a normal server chasis and if so what do you recommend for 12 HD.

#7 Citezein

Citezein

HSS Pro

• Donating Member
    • 134 posts
    • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 28 March 2011 - 06:18 AM

If you're limited to 18" depth, check out this Chenbro: http://www.newegg.co...3-153-_-Product

I have the case and am very happy with it, but I'm not sure I'd try to put more than 6 drives in it. You certainly could put more in with a couple of backplanes, but cooling might then be an issue. Mine only has a few drives and is very quiet.

I have a hard time understanding why people need more than 6 drives. With 3TB drives available, that's a lot of space.

#8 no-control

no-control

HSS Elite

• BYOB Podcasters
    • 1,783 posts
    • LocationSoCal

Posted 28 March 2011 - 12:36 PM

I have a hard time understanding why people need more than 6 drives. With 3TB drives available, that's a lot of space.

Some folks invest their retirement funds into being a video farm. Ever watch hoarders?

lol

VISIT MY BLOG
    Find me on the internet

I've been censored by the HSS

Skins By Invisioneers