•  

• Photo

Subsonic WHS Add-in with video streaming. Do you want it ?

• Please log in to reply
    17 replies to this topic

#1 diehard

diehard

HSS Elite

• Moderators
    • 1,632 posts
    • LocationMontreal

Posted 20 October 2010 - 10:26 PM

Would you like to see a subsonic media web streamer including video as a WHS add-in ? Why ?

EX470 modified BIOS BE-2300 CPU 4Gig ram, 4 2TB HDD. DX4000 with 4 2TB HDD Storage Server2008 R2 Essentials.
    Microsoft MVP - Windows Home Server

#2 drkhyron

drkhyron

HSS 1 Post Wonder

• Members
    • 1 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 10:18 AM

[quote name='diehard' timestamp='1287635202' post='12094']
    Would you like to see a subsonic media web streamer including video as a WHS add-in ? Why ?
    [/quote]

I just heard about Subsonic from the Home Server Podcast and it sounds great. I use pyTivo on my WHS to send my video content to my Tivo, but I'd like a more general solution. I also don't really have anything for streaming audio, I just move what I want to my Droid. I would really like this for a streaming solution for my phone.

I eagerly wait to see this project take shape.

Thanks!

Edited by drkhyron, 23 October 2010 - 10:19 AM.

#3 dvn

dvn

HSS Elite

• Moderators
    • 1,757 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 10:28 AM

Maybe, if it works well with my Zune HD. I'm not a big remote media streamer, but that is in part due to past experience with Twonky. Subsonic may change my mind. If it delivers a steady video stream despite my limited DSL upload speed - 600-640 kbps - then I might be interested.

#4 kermi

kermi

HSS Pro

• Members
    • 209 posts
    • LocationTampere, Finland

Posted 24 October 2010 - 02:48 AM

[/quote]

Shortly, yes.

#5 HSS-Dave

HSS-Dave

Founder

• Administrators
    • 2,084 posts
    • LocationIndiana

Posted 24 October 2010 - 08:38 AM

My short answer is yea as well. I'm more interested in video streaming at the moment though. m2ts files a must.
    Host of The Home Server Show Podcast.
    Windows Home Server MVP 2009 - 2013 Surface MVP - 2014

#6 wiseadam

wiseadam

HSS 1 Post Wonder

• Members
    • 1 posts
    • LocationMcKinney, TX

Posted 24 October 2010 - 11:36 PM

I have been using Subsonic running on my WHS v1 for over 6 months now. I love the fact that it crosses platforms b/c the open development provided by the creator of Subsonic. I have more than 30+ friends and family using it on a daily basis, either on their iphone, their droid phone, or just in a web browser at work.

The add-in for the WHS would be a great addition even if just for the simple stop and restart of the service and port change and memory allocation adjustments.

I would be very willing to test the current video mod you have setup as I heard on the podcast. I am testing two or three applications for video streaming. AirVideo, Zumocast, and OrbLive.

Airvideo - Pros: Will live stream ANYTHING over 3G to my iPhone with no issues. Runs in the background as a service with no known issues. Allows you to setup remote compressions of files to make them more iPhone/iPod friendly. Allows you to skip ahead during live conversion on 3G without much effort. Minimal to no stuttering at all over 3G. Reliable, consistent.
    Cons: Uses a lot of resources when streaming live content, almost anything 720p and above it uses average 50% of my processing power on a AMD Athlon x4 4gb DDR3 system. 2 videos going at once maxes it out. Divx and low quality video works fine.

Zumocast - Pros: Runs with no issues as a service over WHS. Plays pretty much all video file types. Doesn't use much resources. Works over 3G. Allows you to download the video to your iPhone to watch "offline" if needed. Can watch video library online.
    Cons: Stutters more over 3G, doesn't allow as much freedom with skipping ahead on the video on iphone with 3G, will sometimes just stop playing all together when skipping to different parts of the video.

OrbLive - Pros: Acts as a DLNA media server (PS3 and XBOX 360 streaming). Has the potential of Live TV through a TV tuner card. Can watch video online. Plays most if not all video files. Allows you to choose the quality on the iphone/Droid apps
    Cons: Not supported on WHS and will not run as a service, and eventually times out and stops working even if logged on. Small list of supported TV Tuner cards, even smaller list for WHS. Uses a decent amount of resources when encoding HD content. Not very good customer support when it comes to WHS, doesn't work, not supported, and may not ever be. Slow updates, and updates seem to limit and break more things than it does fix.

I have had many requests from my subsonic users to be able to stream my video content through the browser. I would like to be a part of the testing when the time comes, or if you have something ready now, send me some info and I will set it up. I will also make you a username and password on my subsonic to test it out.

Keep up the good work guys, this seems to be headed in the right direction as a full on media streaming server. I like the fact that I can be anywhere with my iphone and watch and/or listen to anything on my server with my phone or laptop without being restricted to censorship, availability or quality.

#7 Guest_Kenneth_*

Guest_Kenneth_*
    • Guests

Posted 02 November 2010 - 06:55 PM

Just what I am looking for!!!!

1. How can you Embed the Divx Web Player to Subsonic?

2. How did you Add the TV Series with Episodes and Cover Art?

3. How do you use IMBD and MOVIEDB Databases to get info and Cover Art for
    your Movies?

Kenneth
    [email protected]

#8 AllToga

AllToga

HSS Pro

• Members
    • 121 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 02:00 PM

[/quote]

I would like to see the add in. I tried to install subsonic on my client and pointed it to the WHS shares, but I was having problems. I want to be able to serve up my music to my Android phone. Think it would be awesome.
    Remember, everything said has already been said.

Video (12 seconds)

#9 TheWiz

TheWiz

HSS Member

• Members
    • 43 posts
    • LocationUS

Posted 05 November 2010 - 05:24 PM

It's in the works guys, lots of promising things for the fastest most comprehensive solution coming to WHS enthusiasts near you :)

Chris

#10 timekills

timekills

HSS Advanced

• Donating Member
    • 867 posts
    • LocationFort Bliss (hah), Tejas

Posted 23 December 2010 - 05:35 PM

[quote name='TheWiz' timestamp='1288999491' post='12713']
    It's in the works guys, lots of promising things for the fastest most comprehensive solution coming to WHS enthusiasts near you :)

Chris
    [/quote]

Your comments on the podcast got me drooling again. I'm a fan of Zumocast from the WHS v1, and really only dabbled with Subsonic when it was a music-only service. Haven't used it as a video streaming service, but I can't wait to see your add-in for it.

#11 pcdoc

pcdoc

HSS Legend

• Moderators
    • 3,957 posts
    • LocationLos Angeles, California

Posted 26 December 2010 - 11:54 PM

I would pay virtually any price for an add in that would stream my DVD and BD in their native folder structures to an external device.

Main Server - WHS 2011, Core I5-2500, 12T RAID 5 (5x3T) + 2T of Mirror + 2T of backup
    Second Server - 2012, Core I5-2500, 12T RAID 5
    Main Systems - Core I5-4770, 16 Gigs DDR3-1600, 180 Gig Intel 330 SSD. 240 Gig Intel 520, 3T Seagate - Other systems - Core I7-2600, 2 x Core I5-2500, Core I5-4570S, Core I3-2100, and G620

My Blog - The Doc's World
    Tablet Resource - BYOB Videos - TheBYOBPodcast

For More Information:

Computer Systems

Home Network

#12 TheWiz

TheWiz

HSS Member

• Members
    • 43 posts
    • LocationUS

Posted 27 December 2010 - 03:53 PM

We just streamed a DVD successfully over 3G in the latest build to several Android phones, BlueRay is getting closer but isn't perfect yet. Because Sindre is under an open source initiative, the cost factor has not been determined or finalized yet. Nevertheless, Sindre and myself are very excited to send out the beta soon.

Christian

Edited by TheWiz, 27 December 2010 - 04:00 PM.

#13 dcard68

dcard68

HSS 1 Post Wonder

• Members
    • 9 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 07:28 PM

Progress?

#14 i-bystander

i-bystander

HSS Pro

• Members
    • 167 posts
    • Location60107

Posted 24 March 2011 - 12:26 AM

Yeah, interested to hear about any news as well...

#15 HSS-Dave

HSS-Dave

Founder

• Administrators
    • 2,084 posts
    • LocationIndiana

Posted 17 July 2011 - 03:38 PM

A bump for progress!
    Host of The Home Server Show Podcast.
    Windows Home Server MVP 2009 - 2013 Surface MVP - 2014

#16 nlitend1

nlitend1

HSS Star

• Members
    • 99 posts
    • LocationSoCal

Posted 26 October 2011 - 11:14 AM

A resounding YES! Subsonic Rocks!

#17 ikon

ikon

HSS Elite Master

• Donating Member
    • 14,015 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 03:36 PM

[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]I'm afraid that, with my bandwidth cap, streaming is not something I'm gonna do.[/font]

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

#18 krom

krom

HSS Pro

• Donating Member
    • 273 posts
    • LocationWestern New York

Posted 27 October 2011 - 09:05 AM

Just saw this and I'd be interested. Have there been any updates to this project? Thanks.
    Main system: AMD Phenom 9600, 4GB RAM, Win 7 Pro, Dell 2407WFP
    Main server: AMD Athlon 5050e, 2GB RAM, WHS v1, 9.32TB

Skins By Invisioneers