steveori

Create own cloud on WSER2

11 posts in this topic

Hi HSS

I'm looking for a piece of software to share some files residing on my Windows Server Essentials R2 box with different user groups externally.

I've found Tonido to be an acceptable solution but not perfect.

Can anybody recommend any other software to allow me to do this?

Traditional services like Dropbox etc are no good as the files are around 1gb in size and are updated constantly by an app on my server so need to be local.

WSE's built in remote web access is also not an option.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated

Just wondering y remote web access is not an option?

2) What kind of files are these?

3) Are these files for static view only or will they be edited and sent back to you?

4) Have you considered the built-in FTP server of Windows Server Essentials?

You can also take a look at FileZilla, Its open source and free of charge. I used this many years ago before I ever used servers/NAS and it worked well for my needs.

https://filezilla-project.org/

If you want or need more of a Sync for the files to remote sites I have used 'Allway Sync' and it works very well https://allwaysync.com/

Hope this helps...

I've been looking for the same thing for quite a while.

OwnCloud used to work, but they stripped out Windows Support in version 8.  So if you don't mind running an old, possibly insecure version...

Which means that NextCloud is out. 

Pydio may work for you.

SeaFile may work.

FileRun is a fairly good, but it only supports 3 users for free, If you want more than that ... 5 users is $200, 10 users is $320,, etc.

FileCloud is fantastic, but for $1000/year, for 20 users.... it's obscene. 

The problem is that there is very few things designed for Windows.... and what there is, is expensive. 

How about bittorrent sync?

I considered using it after MSFT's futzing of Onedrive but it didn't seem to handle multi-user scenarios too well.

Maybe now that it has been taken over and renamed resilio it is worth a look?

resilio.com

Thank-you everyone for the amazing list of suggestions.

I will work through them and let you know what I find. :)

Ok I've had 24 hours to test some of the different solutions and here's what I've found.

SeaFile - it works but can't do direct local folder passthru, SeaFile actually breaks up the data into blocks to avoid duplication and is geared more to mobile data sync (a-la Dropbox) I need to be able to share a specific local folder and give guest access to around 15 people so this was a no go.

FileRun - this was definitely the best of the (M$ compatible) bunch but it was a royal pain to set-up all the dependencies!

I've never really messed with IIS hosting before as I've always used linux.

PHP seemed to have some real issues getting going as it wouldn't install with WPI to begin with and it took me a while to figure out CGI isn't installed by default - got there in the end though :) 

Pydio - this was ok, slightly less of a pain to set up vs FileRun but it's not quite as good. Hate the UI too.

OwnCloud/NextCloud - just finished testing these in a VM and both are very good (prefer NextCloud of the two)

To avoid having to duplicate the data to the VM I simply pointed a network share to the folder on the WSE host.

Unfortunately my HW is already stretched in this server as is, adding a VM to the mix is not an option at this time. (the server is a very low-powered mITX backup/file server)

I think for now I am going to run FileRun in tandem with Tondio for a bit longer and see how it goes, however ultimately I think the end game will be to upgrade the HW in the server (it's functions have already expanded beyond it's initial scope) and run a VM with Nextcloud. 

*a quick note on the options I didn't test.*

WSE own FTP - used this before and it's not really practical for my needs.

Filecloud - I'm sure it goes without saying but expense was the issue here! :P

Resilio - looked good on paper but unfortunately it seems like most of the features I need/want are locked behind the pay-wall

Work Folders - this was quite an interesting read and I can see a definite use case for this for something else down the line but unfortunately it's tie-ins with AD would mean it wouldn't work in my situation.

Thanks for the update. Did you have a chance to check out any of the ones I suggested?

You can also take a look at FileZilla, Its open source and free of charge. I used this many years ago before I ever used servers/NAS and it worked well for my needs.

https://filezilla-project.org/

If you want or need more of a Sync for the files to remote sites I have used 'Allway Sync' and it works very well https://allwaysync.com/

I've used Filezilla before (mostly for website FTP stuff) and while it would work in a very rudimentary form I'm after something a bit more flexible.

Allwaysync was not what I was looking for unfortunately.

Have you considered syncing the Files back and forth to One Drive and just use that capability?  Yes, it is another connection point but it should work.

It's odd that you had issues with the WPI installing PHP.  It should enable and configure EVERYTHING you need.  

Either way, I've been using FileRun for a month now, and I've found that it's pretty fantastic. 

There are a few issues I have had with it, but the dev is very friendly and helpful. 

8/10 would recommend FileRun for personal use.