Photo

ML10 Gen9 woes - on the verge of sending it back...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 say170

say170

HSS 1 Post Wonder

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 04:44 AM

I've decided to upgrade my N36L to a ML10 Gen9.

So far, I've had no end of woes....

I took the old 250gb N36L drive out.  The ML10 wouldn't see it.  Then after a lot of searching worked out I had to enable CSM support...

All was well, or so I thought,,, 

My WHS2011 install booted which was great - until I got to the "Press CTRL + ALT + DELETE to log on" prompt.

I hit that key combination and... the machine rebooted.  It's almost like the BIOS is trapping that combo and rebooting the machine.

The I put in a different HDD and booted off the WHS2011 CD.  When I get to the install screen, my keyboard doesn't work so I can't select install.

So... I booted a Windows 10 CD (latest) with a different drive in.  That gets to 1% on the second stage of install and then hangs the machine completely.

Have a got a duffer, or can anyone offer some advice.... 

Edited by say170, 20 January 2017 - 04:47 AM.

#2 say170

say170

HSS 1 Post Wonder

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 03:17 PM

OK, for the benefit of others ..

get a copy of all the drivers you need.  

These are the important ones:

Intel_USB_3.0_xHC_Driver_Skylake_MR6_PV_4.0.6.60 - this is the one to get the mouse & keyboard working.

SP73237

and one just titled SetupChipset - which is the one from the driver page.  

Once these are installed, all the missing drivers are cleared.  Note - I 'did' have a Pro1000 CT card in the old server so this probably helped driver wise....

Edited by say170, 22 January 2017 - 03:18 PM.

#3 nrf

nrf

HSS Advanced

• Members
  • 698 posts
  • LocationNear Cincinnati

Posted 22 January 2017 - 09:39 PM

curious, one usually takes kb and mouse for granted. of all the servers and server os installs I have done over the past years I have never had to use an additional driver during the install. I admit I needed a firmware upgrade for n54l but no driver disk. 

pleased that you were able to figure it out and thanks for sharing the resolution. perhaps there is a pinned thread that could be put into

Neal R. Fildes

N40L runs a firewall - 4GB ECC Ram, 250Gb Disk, ---- N54L runs Server 2012R2 Update w/Essentials Experience, 8GB ECC Ram - client backups, File Share, GeniusVision (security video), KnowledgeTree Community Edition, HDHR DVR (on hold), ---- Dell T-20 under construction, currently evaluating Server 2016 Essentials

Hooray for DreamSpark, miss that TechNet

#4 nanncee

nanncee

HSS 1 Post Wonder

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 01:49 PM

for future reference to everyone, this is going to be a common issue with all new USB 3.0 chipsets and older windows installations. anyting prior to server 2012 or windows 8.1 doesn't have built in drivers for USB 3.0 chipsets. I have run into this a few times on newer systems with windows 7 installs