rexii454

ML10v2 Xeon E3-1231v3 overheating

6 posts in this topic

Just upgraded the stock G3240 to E3-1231v3. Tried using the stock passive cooler with some noctua thermal compound but temperature shot up to 80C in less than a minute with prime95 and throttling kicked in. Not surprised since CPU is 80W TDP. Probably should've bought a L version instead in hindsight. Ambient temperature was 26C. iLO still reported CPU as 40C since iLO is not directly measuring cores.

I'm wondering if anyone else tried upgrading their cooler? On first thought I thought just swapping out the existing cooler with a noctua U9S or something similar in size. I took out the motherboard to examine the mounting mechanism and found out that this might not be so easy since HP already has a massive backplate that's for both CPU mount AND cooler mount. In their infinite wisdom, they decided to also raise the chassis where the cpu sits.

So the options I can think of are:

1. install a fan on the stock cooler. I can add a 2nd fan but the stock cooler is horrible. See picture of the contact surface. I guess I can lap it but still a big pain.

2. find a cooler that's also mountable into the existing back plate screw holes. something with springload screws, but i'm not sure if the HP's backplate has the same thread? http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/inso111111ba.html

or

http://silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=652&area=en

3. take out the existing backplate which involves unscrewing the actual CPU mount, add in a new smaller backplate, and then find a cooler with a slim backplate. a CPU mount backplate looks to be hard to find.

Any suggestions?

WP_20170120_20_32_47_Raw.jpg

WP_20170120_20_33_02_Raw.jpg

WP_20170120_20_33_19_Raw.jpg

WP_20170120_20_47_15_Raw.jpg

Edited by rexii454

Did you clean off the old paste, before applying new?

Sounds like you'll be going active cooling then chap

Your photos look like there is way too much thermal paste applied.

Also, if the holes are the standard 75x75 spacing you may be able to get away with a lot of other coolers by utilising the factory mounting holes/thread.

I upgraded my CPU to a E3-1265L v3 and with ambient temp currently at 29c my CPU is 40c with the stock cooler. But it is an L version so is definitely cooler.

gib