ziplock9000

Vail Plug-In ideas

7 posts in this topic

I'm the head of IT at my company and we are looking to explore other software development avenues. I'm entertaining the idea of writing plug-ins for WHS Vail, does anyone have any 'needs' in the department?

Thanks.

If you check the https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/Feedback

Most Up-Voted Active Suggestions

1. Can we please have a Security Essentials version & Add-in for WHS?

2. I would like to have Media Center in WHS!

Looks like Microsoft will take care of # 1. As for #2 the word is that there will not be any Media Center intergration to Vail offered by Microsoft. So that would be a good place to start. There is a SageTV addin for those users that does connect to the Sage TV extenders. It would be nice to see an addin to connect the 360 to Vail.

I would settle for a plug in that enhanced movie streaming and added support for formats such as BD. I do not ask for much.

I'd love something to do with intelligent scheduling of tasks. Rather than have a fixed time-based schedule, have the option of having tasks scheduled in serial. For example, after the backups run, run the disk balance, run backup cleanup, run a disk defrag, run an AV scan. You could then have some tasks that are low priority and if you run out of time in a given maintenance window (say 11pm to 6am) then those that weren't run would be prioritized over the other low priority tasks the next day.

I'm not sure what Microsoft's real plan are in the Security Essentials department, but I'm more interested in a plug-in that verifies that all clients have anti-virus/anti-spam installed along with high-level reports of threat status, etc. Being able to push clients would be even better.

I'm also interested in cloud-syncing solutions. Today, I use online services like Picasa, uTube, Facebook, etc. for photos, documents and video. To have a plug-in(s) installed in WHS to help me manage and keep stuff in sync with my home server would be awesome!