fossilnews

And Now a Linksys Tri-Band Mesh System

26 posts in this topic

How many more do you think will be announced?

The LinkSys Velop is a $200 single or a 3 pack for $$499 mesh/router/wifi system.  Most of you guys will be happy to know that it is a Tri-Band system with a dedicated 5.8Ghz backhaul radio.  It also allows connection via wireless or Ethernet.  It's also leading the pack with MU-MIMO.  It has also been reported that it has a Zigbee radio within it that is not turned on yet.  Look out Securifi and Almond!

I'm going to try to get a look at it if it's around CES this week.  

Getting tried of testing these things but might have to jump on this one through its paces. I have until the end of the month to return Orbi so that would give me two weeks of testing assuming they are easily available on the 15th.

1 person likes this

Agree with Jose. My 2nd Orbi is going back this week. Will pre-order a Linksys. Am considering the $499 3-unit kit even if overkill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I take a look at the Linksys in my Day 1 Video here at CES.

2 people like this

Awesome video. Excited about Velop. Does Linksys recommend the 3 pack for 6,000 sq ft and above?

I preordered but I might make a quick drive to Vegas on Saturday and see if I can scoop one up early at a best buy there.

Are they here?

Read somewhere that Best Buy's in Vegas would have some in stock during CES. Not sure how accurate it is but was going to check it out if I went on Saturday. 

Cool. Please let us know.

Am hoping to make quick rounds of these devices and finally settle on one. May very well be Orbi by which time I expect their firmware will have matured.

Response from Linksys on bridge mode:

The Velop isn't designed to be used with other 3rd party routers nor does it support bridge mode.

Response from Linksys on bridge mode:

The Velop isn't designed to be used with other 3rd party routers nor does it support bridge mode.

What a huge letdown. Noticed no early reviews mentioned AP Mode. That's a miss. If true will cancel my preorder.

I too confirmed this unfortunate news with Linksys today. No immediate plans to support bridge mode via firmware. Cancelling preorder.

Taking the Google Wi-Fi route I guess. I'm keeping my pre-order just out of sheer curiosity. Especially the claims they're making on speeds.

Taking the Google Wi-Fi route I guess. I'm keeping my pre-order just out of sheer curiosity. Especially the claims they're making on speeds.

When I tried their 3-pack their wifi coverage was very good. Just wish the can provide bridge mode in mesh config some day. 

Edited by whsbuss

Linksys confirmed back to me that they'll be sharing my bridge mode request with Engineering though still no immediate plans to support.

Has anyone tried it yet? Reviews generally giving nod to Netgear Orbi. Velop firmware has a ways to go yet.

Has anyone tried it yet? Reviews generally giving nod to Netgear Orbi. Velop firmware has a ways to go yet.

A few user have mentioned some quirks over at SBN.com forums. Seems Linksys has some issues to address.

Underwhelmed by Velop reviews thus far. May very well buy Orbi for 3rd time based on current available options.

My Open-Mesh seems to drop iOS connections completely under heavy, concurrent traffic or it's an iOS issue. Don't recall happening during my Orbi testing.

Thought Ethernet backhaul was a deal-breaker but has proven to be less critical.

Edited by Jason
1 person likes this

Underwhelmed by Velop reviews thus far. May very well buy Orbi for 3rd time based on current available options.

My Open-Mesh seems to drop iOS connections completely under heavy, concurrent traffic or it's an iOS issue. Don't recall happening during my Orbi testing.

Thought Ethernet backhaul was a deal-breaker but has proven to be less critical.

If you're willing to do something different, look into UniFi APs as I have. Absolutely the best I've used.

1 person likes this

Would you please link me to this 802.11 AC dual band solution? Am currently on OM MR1750s.

Orbi is said to slightly outperform AmpliFi HD Mesh.

Edited by Jason

Would you please link me to this 802.11 AC dual band solution? Am currently on OM MR1750s.

Orbi is said to slightly outperform AmpliFi HD Mesh.

Sure here's the link to the UniFi page https://www.ubnt.com/products/#unifi

Also be sure to click the Community link at the top right to get a sense of consumer reviews

Jason - I had the same issue with ios devices disconnecting for some reason when there would be a high load on my wifi network (25+ wifi devices). Very frustrating... The rest of the time things were fine. So about a month ago I disabled band steering and problems completely disappeared with the disconnects. I have gone 3+ weeks with band steering off and I'm always nagging my kids' friends who use Iphones and had problems with disconnects previously... And not 1 issue. Now, the other day my 2 om5p-ac nodes and 1 mr1750 auto downloaded the latest beta (build 3 when I was running build 2 since December). I turned band steering back on today and will continue to monitor closely for any disconnects. The release notes for the new beta inictated band steering performance improvements so who knows. BTW I'm using all 3 of my OM nodes as gateways. Each has a 1GB POE ethernet backhaul to my netgear ProSAFE GB switch.

ITG33K - yes I noticed the same on the new 6.2 beta 3 and couldn't wait to download it. I too have each of my 3 MR1750s connected via gigabit Ethernet. It seems slightly better but when I disable band steering, my iOS devices tend to connect 2.4 ghz more frequently than they do 5.0 ghz...and hang onto more distance APs for longer.

Am going to try Orbi again and may keep it this time.