• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 intellution

intellution

HSS 1 Post Wonder

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 10:03 AM

HI, I inherited an ML10 with server 2012 essentials installed.  I bought a non-hp 3TB hard disk as an additional disk and put it on the second sata socket.  Upon reboot it cant find my c: drive anymore, but when I take out the new drive it boots fine.  Its not configured as RAID, I am not sure why the server cant see my c: drive.  Im new to HP server.  Hope somebody can help.  Thanks

#2 schoondoggy

schoondoggy

HSS Genius

• Moderators
  • 7,108 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 02:43 PM

During pre-boot or in BIOS setup can you see if the storage controller is configured for AHCI or B120i?

#3 rgreenpc

rgreenpc

HSS Pro

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 04:39 PM

During pre-boot or in BIOS setup can you see if the storage controller is configured for AHCI or B120i?

Kevin - 

Is there an preferred method if setting upon new box with blank drives?

#4 intellution

intellution

HSS 1 Post Wonder

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 05:41 PM

Thanks for the reply..is the default ahci for a single disk setup? I didnt change any setting in the bios when i added the new hdd. I assumed it would just boot the exisitng c: drive...is there any setting change i need to do to add a new drive?

#5 schoondoggy

schoondoggy

HSS Genius

• Moderators
  • 7,108 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 09:06 AM

Kevin - 

Is there an preferred method if setting upon new box with blank drives?

It depends on what you run for an OS and what you are trying to achieve. AHCI is best if you want to easily move the drives to a different server or if you want to run RAID in the OS, like ZFS. If you want the server to mirror the drives then the B120i is a good way to go. If you want RAID5 or RAID6 then you would need to add a controller card.

I would recommend playing around setting things up with AHCI and the B120i to see which you like best. 

Thanks for the reply..is the default ahci for a single disk setup? I didnt change any setting in the bios when i added the new hdd. I assumed it would just boot the exisitng c: drive...is there any setting change i need to do to add a new drive?

The factory setting for HP servers is the B120i enabled. You need to check the BIOS to see which it is set for or watch during BOOT to see if the B120i screen comes up.

I am not sure why your system did not boot when you added the new drive. Was the new drive empty or had it been booted in a different system?

• Joe_Miner likes this

#6 intellution

intellution

HSS 1 Post Wonder

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 02:13 AM

@schoondoggy my server is configured as ahci single disk, cants see it in the bios but in the windows server 2012 device manager it says ahci cant see any B120i.  When I install the second (new) drive it seems its looking for a boot software on that drive.  The new drive is unformatted and empty.  

#7 schoondoggy

schoondoggy

HSS Genius

• Moderators
  • 7,108 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 12:10 PM

Have you tried it on a different SATA port? With the new drive in the system, go into the BIOS and look at the Boot device priority to see what the device list looks like.

#8 intellution

intellution

HSS 1 Post Wonder

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 08:51 PM

I only have 2 sata ports on board.  1 of which is being used as a boot disk.  Other 4 SATA plugs are from the mini-SAS plug which I assume is for RAID.  

I've done some reading here on Gen8 servers and it seems the ODD SATAIII plug cannot be used as a SATA AHCI? Is it the case for ML10 Gen8 servers as well?  If that's the case i'm forced to do a single disk RAID0 on my boot disk?

Edited by intellution, 10 October 2016 - 09:12 PM.

#9 schoondoggy

schoondoggy

HSS Genius

• Moderators
  • 7,108 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 09:17 PM

You can use the SATA ports on the Mini SAS connector for AHCI. Is there a breakout cable plugged into the mini SAS port? 

#10 intellution

intellution

HSS 1 Post Wonder

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 04:04 AM

You can use the SATA ports on the Mini SAS connector for AHCI. Is there a breakout cable plugged into the mini SAS port? i

ive been trying to do that but cant seem to find the proper config....i bought a breakout cable so I could add more hard disks in the future.  I have 2 3TB SATA blank disks at hand but I cant seem to let it come out on the options.  I tried to take out my boot disk and try different configs.  I tried to turn on the SATA RAID and the new hard disks showed, means I have a good cable.  My goal is to have my existing 1TB SATA (as boot disk) on port 1 and the other disks in port 2 and/or ports from the mini-SAS cable all in AHCI mode.

I haven tried the legacy mode, will this help?

#11 schoondoggy

schoondoggy

HSS Genius

• Moderators
  • 7,108 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 05:54 AM

I do not think legacy mode would help. What happens if you have the BIOS set to AHCI and connect your boot disk to port 1 on the breakout cable?

#12 schoondoggy

schoondoggy

HSS Genius

• Moderators
  • 7,108 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 09:37 PM

If I get time tomorrow I will get my ML10 running and try some tests.

#13 intellution

intellution

HSS 1 Post Wonder

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 02:35 AM

I do not think legacy mode would help. What happens if you have the BIOS set to AHCI and connect your boot disk to port 1 on the breakout cable?

okay, thanks schoondoggy and finally I have setup my additional drives.  Apologies for chiming in late, I broke my wrist and was immobilized for a month.  So for the record, the on-board SATA ports are tagged as 5th and 6th (stock setup drive was on port 6) while the breakout cable is tagged as 1-4.  To make things a little harder for me, the breakout cable I bought was invertedly labeled so I was putting my c: drive on no. 4 all along

all is well now