itGeeks

Arlo Smart Home Security Camera System, Has Anyone Tried it?

9 posts in this topic

I just moved into an apartment complex and a new camera solution is front & center. I was wondering if anyone has tried Arlo by Netgear and how they liked or disliked it? I am intrigued by this system because its completely wire free, Not even power is needed as it runs on battery that last 4-6 Months. I also like the fact it is indoor/outdoor so I can hide it outside to view my door. Its got 3000+ reviews on Amazon with a 4 star rating https://www.amazon.com/Arlo-Smart-Security-Camera-System/dp/B00P7EVST6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1466594571&sr=8-1&keywords=netgear+arlo+security+system

I would recommend that you post this on homeautomationforums.com

There is discussion on Arlo.

1 person likes this

I would recommend that you post this on homeautomationforums.com

There is discussion on Arlo.

Just posted, Though I did not see the discussion on Arlo.

Thank you.

Edited by itGeeks

I set up a 3 camera system when I bought my home down in Victoria. I like it. I've since had it removed because we ended up leasing out the property. Going to set it up here at our place in Cairns to monitor the front and side yards.

Was very easy to setup and night vision was good. Only thing is it's Cloud based, if your not into that then look else where :)

I set up a 3 camera system when I bought my home down in Victoria. I like it. I've since had it removed because we ended up leasing out the property. Going to set it up here at our place in Cairns to monitor the front and side yards.

Was very easy to setup and night vision was good. Only thing is it's Cloud based, if your not into that then look else where :)

Thanks for taking the time. Good to know you like them, I am not allergic to some things being cloud based and as I will not have these cameras installed in private arias such as the bedroom the cloud offering works just fine for me. I do have several 4MP Hikvision cameras that I was using in the house I moved from that I would love to use but with this being a rental drilling holes to run wires is not an option. Do these cameras allow us to create a mask for motion detection or any line crossing detection? I would rather not record everything in its sight.

It's been about a year since I had them setup, and there might be software changes since that time, so I can't say for sure.

When I originally set them up I don't remember any masking capabilities. They did have motion sensitivity, time of day, length of recording, notifications, phone apps, live monitoring.

Now I'm going to have to dig them out of storage and get them setup again :)

Cheers

It's been about a year since I had them setup, and there might be software changes since that time, so I can't say for sure.

When I originally set them up I don't remember any masking capabilities. They did have motion sensitivity, time of day, length of recording, notifications, phone apps, live monitoring.

Now I'm going to have to dig them out of storage and get them setup again :)

Cheers

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I would think it should have some settings for motion as most cameras do. I am going to orders 2 of them next week to test as the reviews have been great.

Edited by itGeeks

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I would think it should have some settings for motion as most cameras do. I am going to orders 2 of them next week to test as the reviews have been great.

If you think you will like them, I'd order the set with 3 or 4 cameras because the cost of individual cameras is quite high compared to buying in the sets.

If you think you will like them, I'd order the set with 3 or 4 cameras because the cost of individual cameras is quite high compared to buying in the sets.

Thanks for the info, I will keep it in mind.