113 replies to this topic

#81 alan2k

alan2k

HSS Member

• Members
    • 14 posts
    • LocationMarietta, GA

Posted 12 September 2016 - 07:59 PM

Canceled my CEDIA plans, this means I am booked and headed to Meetup 2016.

I'm gong to bring 4x GE Z-wave Toggle switches for the giveaway.

You gave up CEDIA, for the meetup.  Dave Rules!

• HSS-Dave and awraynor like this

#82 tinkererguy

tinkererguy

HSS Champion

• Donating Member
    • 315 posts
    • LocationConnecticut

Posted 13 September 2016 - 09:21 AM

Great to hear, Paul! I might be in the market for one of your Superservers this year and would love to take a look at it in person.

Happy to oblige! I will be bringing a compact Xeon D-based Supermicro SuperServer, mostly just for physical display (not carrying a monitor/no complex config, unlike last year), since David's note mentioned it's ok to just bring stuff. I'll be more in wallflower mode as an attendee this year, soaking in all the cool stuff to see and learn about.

I will also have much of the Xeon D equipment (in many shapes and sizes) back in my home lab. I somebody wants, and time permits, I'll just remotely VPN in, and show that person around.

Synology pictured below was won from Dave at last year's meetup, made good use of it as shared RAID0 iSCSI shared VMware datastore).

Full-resolution image source.

SuperServerDemoRig-resized.png:

VMware ESXi 6.0U2 (soon 6.5)

Supermicro SuperServer SYS-5028D-TN4T with Xeon D-1541 8 core (soon Xeon D-1567 12 core)
    128GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC RAM, 4 HDDs, 2 SSDs, & 1 Samsung 950 Pro M.2 NVMe 512GB SSD (soon Samsung 960)

Testing out VSAN clusters as well (essentially a RAID6 of 3 M.2 NVMe internal drives, connected using 10GbE)

-Paul Braren

#83 tinkererguy

tinkererguy

HSS Champion

• Donating Member
    • 315 posts
    • LocationConnecticut

Posted 13 September 2016 - 09:26 AM

Ok We have both Coast, the Gulf Coast, and UK representing.    Time for Renny and Zadler to show up.

Schoonover should load you up on Gen8 brackets to be his UK reselling arm since you are visiting.

+1, those sound like great ideas!

VMware ESXi 6.0U2 (soon 6.5)

Supermicro SuperServer SYS-5028D-TN4T with Xeon D-1541 8 core (soon Xeon D-1567 12 core)
    128GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC RAM, 4 HDDs, 2 SSDs, & 1 Samsung 950 Pro M.2 NVMe 512GB SSD (soon Samsung 960)

Testing out VSAN clusters as well (essentially a RAID6 of 3 M.2 NVMe internal drives, connected using 10GbE)

-Paul Braren

#84 vinylfreak

vinylfreak

HSS Advanced

• Donating Member
    • 504 posts
    • LocationNorthwest Indiana

Posted 13 September 2016 - 12:13 PM

Fire Up!! Guys!!

#bestmeetupever2016 

https://vimeo.com/75528580

#85 BSR

BSR

HSS Pro

• Donating Member
    • 135 posts
    • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 13 September 2016 - 03:04 PM

Awww...that was my first meet up. You never forget your first! (wipes away tear)
    • HSS-Dave and vinylfreak like this

Synology DS1513+ w/ 15TB (main home/family server)

Synology DS115 w/ 4TB (home surveillance)

Synology DS214+ w/ 6TB (synced at vacation home)

Synology DS114 w/ 3TB (synced at my Dad's house)

BYOB Celeron G550 running PFSense

#86 HSS-Dave

HSS-Dave

Founder

• Administrators
    • 2,709 posts
    • LocationIndiana

Posted 15 September 2016 - 02:43 PM

I don't have a Meetup Podcast for you this year.  You will have to listen to Jim on your way here!  I do have some throwback posts for you though!

http://homeserversho...ch=1#entry25203

http://homeserversho...meetup/page-6?

http://homeserversho...-a-success.html

Have fun guys.  See you in 24 hours!

• vinylfreak likes this

HSS Forums - Read Me First Post (Updated)

Listen to RESET Podcast. http://mccabe.io

#87 vinylfreak

vinylfreak

HSS Advanced

• Donating Member
    • 504 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 08:03 PM

I don't have a Meetup Podcast for you this year.  You will have to listen to Jim on your way here!  I do have some throwback posts for you though!

http://homeserversho...ch=1#entry25203

http://homeserversho...meetup/page-6?

http://homeserversho...-a-success.html

Have fun guys.  See you in 24 hours!

Wow! those are some Great! memories Dave , Thanks! for sharing!!

• HSS-Dave likes this

#88 Chad D

Chad D

HSS 1 Post Wonder

• Members
    • 8 posts
    • LocationKenosha, WI

Posted 16 September 2016 - 07:58 AM

I'm bringing some gear again this year that I hope can find a new home. I really don't want to bring it back with me. The current list can be found here: http://bdgr.ws/HSSMeetup2016

I'm still adding some items, so check back. If you're interested in anything just find me at the Meet Up or PM me here.

#89 cscompton

cscompton

HSS Member

• Members
    • 13 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 02:05 PM

Stormy Weather, be safe!

#90 alexandru1002

alexandru1002

HSS 1 Post Wonder

• Members
    • 2 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 03:31 PM

Can you please confirm if Friday night we meeting at frys in fisher in or someone please confirm address.
    If anyone needs a ride please
    Let me know

#91 HSS-Dave

HSS-Dave

Founder

• Administrators
    • 2,709 posts
    • LocationIndiana

Posted 18 September 2016 - 01:43 PM

It's over!  We had another great meetup.  I'm looking forward to hearing from those that attended.  Leave me your thoughts and reviews.  What was your favorite part?  What would you like to see next time.   I'm glad I pulled off another one and am so grateful for all of you that made all the effort to attend.  What a great couple of days we had.

A big thanks to sponsors and everyone who donated gear for give aways.  Synology, Securifi, Home8, Insteon, Silicon Dust, Kevin Schoonover, Alan Eisen, Jim Shoemaker, John Aydellote, Dewain Robinson.  itGeeks donated the big prize of a 3 pack of Lumas.  I probably left someone out so let me know if I forgot.

The demos were great and I got my TV calibrated by JonB!  I can't wait to see what a properly calibrated TV looks like.  We did a virtual demo with Richard Gunther remote and Josh Pollard local.  It was cool to see all of Richard's devices on the HomeBoy app.  Paul Braren persevered through multiple airplanes and flights to bring his Super Server.  Dewain brought the "pi bar," and there were so many others.  Josh Pollard, Chris Kenney.  It was such a good time.

Thanks again to all.

#92 vinylfreak

vinylfreak

HSS Advanced

• Donating Member
    • 504 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 03:45 PM

It's over!  We had another great meetup.  I'm looking forward to hearing from those that attended.  Leave me your thoughts and reviews.  What was your favorite part?  What would you like to see next time.   I'm glad I pulled off another one and am so grateful for all of you that made all the effort to attend.  What a great couple of days we had.

A big thanks to sponsors and everyone who donated gear for give aways.  Synology, Securifi, Home8, Insteon, Silicon Dust, Kevin Schoonover, Alan Eisen, Jim Shoemaker, John Aydellote, Dewain Robinson.  itGeeks donated the big prize of a 3 pack of Lumas.  I probably left someone out so let me know if I forgot.

The demos were great and I got my TV calibrated by JonB!  I can't wait to see what a properly calibrated TV looks like.  We did a virtual demo with Richard Gunther remote and Josh Pollard local.  It was cool to see all of Richard's devices on the HomeBoy app.  Paul Braren persevered through multiple airplanes and flights to bring his Super Server.  Dewain brought the "pi bar," and there were so many others.  Josh Pollard, Chris Kenney.  It was such a good time.

Thanks again to all.

Wow!

Big Thanks!!! To Dave and Jim and Everyone!! else who helped put this years meetup together!!

It was beyond Awesome!!

It was so Great seeing Old Friends and making many more New ones!!

It was a weekend I will never forget.

Sooooooooo Glad!!!! the stars aligned for me to make it this year!

The Microsoft space was amazing and so were all the Demos and Gear!!

I can't wait till next year!!

I took tons of photos. As time goes on I will post many of them.

I will leave you with the full group shot that I took at the end of the meetup.

Enjoy! Tim   #bestmeetupever ( trademarked by John Stutsman )

P1160658_zpspb2naqj0.jpg

• HSS-Dave and gibster like this

#93 jsox

jsox

HSS Pro

• Donating Member
    • 212 posts
    • LocationMissouri

Posted 18 September 2016 - 04:00 PM

Thanks for another great meet-up Dave!

Thanks for the group photo, VF, that's really cool!

The podcast is dead. Long Live the Podcast!

Is meet-up 2017 scheduled yet? No? Why not?

• vinylfreak likes this

#94 GabonPhil

GabonPhil

HSS Member

• Donating Member
    • 30 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 06:39 PM

POPULAR

Even if you don’t live close to Indianapolis; participating in a Meet-Up from UK or mainland Europe is completely do-able as I proved this weekend. Flying to and from Indianapolis from Norwich in England was smooth, efficient (11 hours) and affordable (~£600). Several US based participants travelled far longer than my easy straight forward journey.

Having enjoyed and learned so much from HGG/HSS for several years; attending a Meet-Up had been an aspiration for ages. But until this year, joining one had always seemed impractical.

In the forums I’ve always lurked more than posted, but the few times I have left voice mails or messages I’ve been impressed with the prompt well thought out responses and spirit of our community.

Meet-Up 2016 started with an ice-breaker on Friday evening where we all met each other in advance of the main event on Saturday. Our tour of Dave’s HSS HQ, where we saw an impressive home IT system, was inspirational and made me realise how limited my home set up is. Afterwards we went to Fry’s where we geeked out in an amazing huge one stop shop “boy’s toys” supermarket. Our tasty casual burger and beer dinner together rounded the introductions and evening off so well. Meeting Dave and Jim was a highlight; albeit unusual, as I felt as if I knew them both but of course they knew nothing of me.

Saturday’s main Meet Up in the Microsoft Indianapolis training room completely met my expectations. Dave, aided by Jim, cleverly scheduled a series of informal periods and organised topical presentations. Our breakfast coffee with pastries, catered bbq lunch and afternoon ice-cream bar were tasty and enjoyed by all of us. Big appreciations to Microsoft for making the venue available to us. Several individuals and companies generously donated gear for a substantial give-away at the end of the day. Big thanks to Synology, Securifi, Home8, Insteon, Silicon Dust, Kevin Schoonover, Alan Eisen, Jim Shoemaker, John Aydellote, Dewain Robinson. Special thanks to itGeeks who donated the big prize of a three pack of Lumas which I was lucky enough to win. I also won a completely misnamed “box of crap” donated by Kevin Schoonover, which is full of interesting stuff. Afterwards we descended on mass to the nearby Microsoft Store where the staff made us welcome and several of us bought some tasty kit. Our dinner together in a nearby Irish Bar rounded off the day.

This morning we enjoyed a farewell breakfast in a rural Waffle House and said our goodbyes. This particular Waffle House personified my mental model of a USA diner complete with booths and bar to eat at.

Today I’ve explored downtown Indianapolis where I needed to buy a suitcase to bring home all my shopping and kit I’d won.

All of you who have thought about attending a Meet-Up; I urge you to take action and book a ticket next year. You won’t regret it.

Special thanks and well done to Dave for organising Meet-Up 2016 for us to all enjoy.

Cheers,

Phil (GabonPhil)

PS Europe based Reset/HSS/HGG fans….., complete long shot I know, but if we could ever encourage Dave and Jim to come to London; would you join in for a “pop up” mini Meet Up?

USA based fans, would this a reason to come and visit UK?

Do leave an indication below if you are at all interested. Who knows, we might get one away.  :mellow:

• gibster, vinylfreak and mattb75 like this

#95 awraynor

awraynor

HSS Elite

• Donating Member
    • 1,925 posts
    • LocationSpartanburg, S.C.

Posted 18 September 2016 - 07:38 PM

Even if you don’t live close to Indianapolis; participating in a Meet-Up from UK or mainland Europe is completely do-able as I proved this weekend. Flying to and from Indianapolis from Norwich in England was smooth, efficient (11 hours) and affordable (~£600). Several US based participants travelled far longer than my easy straight forward journey.

Having enjoyed and learned so much from HGG/HSS for several years; attending a Meet-Up had been an aspiration for ages. But until this year, joining one had always seemed impractical.

In the forums I’ve always lurked more than posted, but the few times I have left voice mails or messages I’ve been impressed with the prompt well thought out responses and spirit of our community.

Meet-Up 2016 started with an ice-breaker on Friday evening where we all met each other in advance of the main event on Saturday. Our tour of Dave’s HSS HQ, where we saw an impressive home IT system, was inspirational and made me realise how limited my home set up is. Afterwards we went to Fry’s where we geeked out in an amazing huge one stop shop “boy’s toys” supermarket. Our tasty casual burger and beer dinner together rounded the introductions and evening off so well. Meeting Dave and Jim was a highlight; albeit unusual, as I felt as if I knew them both but of course they knew nothing of me.

Saturday’s main Meet Up in the Microsoft Indianapolis training room completely met my expectations. Dave, aided by Jim, cleverly scheduled a series of informal periods and organised topical presentations. Our breakfast coffee with pastries, catered bbq lunch and afternoon ice-cream bar were tasty and enjoyed by all of us. Big appreciations to Microsoft for making the venue available to us. Several individuals and companies generously donated gear for a substantial give-away at the end of the day. Big thanks to Synology, Securifi, Home8, Insteon, Silicon Dust, Kevin Schoonover, Alan Eisen, Jim Shoemaker, John Aydellote, Dewain Robinson. Special thanks to (Tony) itGeeks who donated the big prize of a three pack of Lumas which I was lucky enough to win. I also won a completely misnamed “box of crap” donated by Kevin Schoonover, which is full of interesting stuff. Afterwards we descended on mass to the nearby Microsoft Store where the staff made us welcome and several of us bought some tasty kit. Our dinner together in a nearby Irish Bar rounded off the day.

This morning we enjoyed a farewell breakfast in a rural Waffle House and said our goodbyes. This particular Waffle House personified my mental model of a USA diner complete with booths and bar to eat at.

Today I’ve explored downtown Indianapolis where I needed to buy a suitcase to bring home all my shopping and kit I’d won.

All of you who have thought about attending a Meet-Up; I urge you to take action and book a ticket next year. You won’t regret it.

Special thanks and well done to Dave for organising Meet-Up 2016 for us to all enjoy.

Cheers,

Phil (GabonPhil)

PS Europe based Reset/HSS/HGG fans….., complete long shot I know, but if we could ever encourage Dave and Jim to come to London; would you join in for a “pop up” mini Meet Up?

USA based fans, would this a reason to come and visit UK?

Do leave an indication below if you are at all interested. Who knows, we might get one away.  :mellow:

Great to have you there Phil. Just to clear things up, I ordered and canceled a Luma 3-pack. itGeeks is another far more knowledgeable forum 

member than me and he donated the 3-pack. Wanted to give credit where credit is due.

I'm shopping for a notebook and like your daughter, think I"m going to get a Surface Pro4.

BTW. Do you have a Twitter username?

#96 cscompton

cscompton

HSS Member

• Members
    • 13 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 08:20 PM

POPULAR

I had a lot of fun! I cant wait to see if I can get this Doorbot to work on my account. I did shoot two 360 clips if you want to take a look, these links are unlisted on youtube so we can keep them within the group or share away if that's the desire. I cant really go back and blur any faces...

Watch using the youtube app on your mobile device and you can pan around by moving your device around. You can click and drag in most browsers too.

SuperServers:

Pi bar:

Edited by cscompton, 18 September 2016 - 08:22 PM.

• vinylfreak, jsox, GabonPhil and 1 other like this

#97 vinylfreak

vinylfreak

HSS Advanced

• Donating Member
    • 504 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 08:36 PM

Very Cool!! Chris!!

Nice Job!!

#98 GabonPhil

GabonPhil

HSS Member

• Donating Member
    • 30 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 04:25 AM

Great to have you there Phil. Just to clear things up, I ordered and canceled a Luma 3-pack. itGeeks is another far more knowledgeable forum 

member than me and he donated the 3-pack. Wanted to give credit where credit is due.

I'm shopping for a notebook and like your daughter, think I"m going to get a Surface Pro4.

BTW. Do you have a Twitter username?

Thanks for clarifying that Tony.

itGeeks thanks again for such a generous prize. Rest assured I'll put it to good use.

My twitter name is @GabonPhil

• awraynor likes this

#99 BSR

BSR

HSS Pro

• Donating Member
    • 135 posts
    • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 19 September 2016 - 08:20 PM

Thanks to everyone for another great meetup (my fourth)!  I came with several issues/questions in mind and left with some answers, ideas, and further things to research, so it was definitely time well spent.

Special thanks to Paul for answering all my questions (after going above and beyond to be there), Eddie for some good chats, and thinking of more questions to ask than I usually do, and of course to Dave, Jim and all who helped organize, present, and bring cool stuff to play with.

See y'all next year!

Synology DS1513+ w/ 15TB (main home/family server)

Synology DS115 w/ 4TB (home surveillance)

Synology DS214+ w/ 6TB (synced at vacation home)

Synology DS114 w/ 3TB (synced at my Dad's house)

BYOB Celeron G550 running PFSense

#100 HSS-Dave

HSS-Dave

Founder

• Administrators
    • 2,709 posts
    • LocationIndiana

Posted 20 September 2016 - 03:55 PM

Meetup 2016 Wrap Up

http://homeserversho...16-wrap-up.html

More photos to follow.

Skins By Invisioneers