Dave

Meetup 2016

114 posts in this topic

Hey Meetup attendees!  If you won some loot check back in and tell us about it.  I would like to see some reviews and thoughts about the gear.

I'm still figuring out what to do with my 10TB of SchoonDoggy Drives! I'm thinking that I will get a 4 bay Synology NAS and a third 5TB drive, then create a RAID5 array to hold my ripped blurays.

If anyone has suggestions on what NAS I should get, I'd love to hear it. I'm running WHS2011 on a pretty beefy box, also running Plex on that, so I wouldn't have to transcode on the NAS. My rips are in mkv containers.

I'm still figuring out what to do with my 10TB of SchoonDoggy Drives! I'm thinking that I will get a 4 bay Synology NAS and a third 5TB drive, then create a RAID5 array to hold my ripped blurays.

If anyone has suggestions on what NAS I should get, I'd love to hear it. I'm running WHS2011 on a pretty beefy box, also running Plex on that, so I wouldn't have to transcode on the NAS. My rips are in mkv containers.

This is a topic after my own heart so hold on to your wallet :) I am a big Synology fan boy, My family and I own several of them and they are nothing short of amazing head to toe. One word of advice don't go cheap now because chances are you will be repurchasing a better unit in as little as 6-12 months like me after you see all the things you can do with the Synology NAS, It seems sky is the limit from configuration to the apps and I can almost bet in less then a year you will be shutting down your once loved WHS2011 like many of us have in favor of using your new Synology NAS for everything you do with your WHS2011 and more.

Now on the the questions below-

1. How much data do you have now?

2. What are the makes and models of the hard drives your using now?

3. How many users do you have?

4. How many total devices do you have?

5. What kind of devices do you use for streaming your movies from Plex? I know you said your using WHS2011 for the Plex media server now but please bear with the question.

6. Do you stream your movies outside your home or only local on your network?

7. Please give me a complete list of what your using WHS2011 for including any apps your running on it?

8. Do you use or plan on using any IP cameras in and around your home?

9. I will probably think of more questions as we move closer to my recommendation after you answer all of these questions.

itGeeks,

Wow! Thanks for the detailed response. I am away right now, but will gather the info and post back in the next day or so.

No problem, I look forward to it.

itGeeks,

Here are my answers, embedded for easier reference:

This is a topic after my own heart so hold on to your wallet :) I am a big Synology fan boy, My family and I own several of them and they are nothing short of amazing head to toe. One word of advice don't go cheap now because chances are you will be repurchasing a better unit in as little as 6-12 months like me after you see all the things you can do with the Synology NAS, It seems sky is the limit from configuration to the apps and I can almost bet in less then a year you will be shutting down your once loved WHS2011 like many of us have in favor of using your new Synology NAS for everything you do with your WHS2011 and more.

Now on the the questions below-

1. How much data do you have now?

355GB (combined) of docs, music, pics, and downloaded software 

Currently on a RAID1 array in my WHS2011 box, comprised of two 2TB WD Reds.

8.3TB of videos

Currently on a RAID5 array in my WHS2011 box, comprised of six 2TB WD Reds.

A 4 bay MediaSonic attached storage device filled with four 2TB WD Reds.

This is used for machine backups by Acronis.

2. What are the makes and models of the hard drives your using now?

For storage, 2TB WD Reds.

I have various other SSDs and spinners in my other networked computers.

3. How many users do you have?

Really, two. Myself and my daughter. My wife doesn't use the network much.

4. How many total devices do you have?

:-)

Windows Media Center with 6TB of storage and a 128GB SSD O/S drive

Win10 box in the basement with 250GB SSD, used for streaming internet video and music during exercise

Win10 box in the Family Room with 250GB SSD and two 2TB spinners. General use computer.

pfSense box. Minimal SSD 

WHS2011 box with 64GB O/S and 8 drive array on High Point Rocket Raid card, split into the two arrays mentioned above

(I also use this box to run my Plex DVR and server)

MacBook Pro laptop

Win10 laptop (occasional use)

Win8.1 laptop used at school by my daughter

5. What kind of devices do you use for streaming your movies from Plex? I know you said your using WHS2011 for the Plex media server now but please bear with the question.

MacBook

Amazon FireTV

Amazon FireStick

HTPC mentioned above

Win8.1 laptop

With the exception of the HTPC, these are all used remotely to the home network, and almost never more than a single device at a time.

6. Do you stream your movies outside your home or only local on your network?

Occasionally, probably a couple times/month. As PlexDRV use ramps up, this will be the primary place for my daughter to get content. Currently she uses MadSonic, also running on the WHS2011 box.

7. Please give me a complete list of what your using WHS2011 for including any apps your running on it?

MyMovies, which seems to consume about 600MB of RAM

MadSonic

Plex

MCEBuddy, used to convert and remove commercials from Plex DVR shows

8. Do you use or plan on using any IP cameras in and around your home?

That is something I would like to do over the next year. Probably 3-5 cameras at most.

9. I will probably think of more questions as we move closer to my recommendation after you answer all of these questions.

OK, I think I got most everything I could think of. The WHS2011 box is running a core i5-2500 @3.3GHz with 8GB RAM.

My thought was to add a Synology 4 bay and put in three 5 TB drives in a RAID5 configuration to hold my movies, freeing up the video storage on the WHS box to hold content from the PlexDVR.

I am not set on anything at this point and open to any and all ideas/suggestions.

Thanks!

Sorry its taking so long for me to get back to you, Based on your response and my lack of time I am trying to figure out how to respond in a way you will understand. I think my response is going to be in many parts so please bear with me.

Thanks for the detailed response. Its now clear to me your not an average user like most of us hear (reinforcing you should not go cheap). If you don't mind me asking what roll does MyMovies play in your setup?

It is no secrete the Synology & QNAP are the leaders in this space and for very good reason and unless you know some of the basics as to what separates one from the other it can be very confusing so I am going to try and break it down in simple form for you, See below-

1. It was once said that QNAP had more powerful hardware at a similar price point but Synology is quickly closing that gap

2. If your looking to run VM's on your NAS then QNAP is your NAS.

3. If your looking for the most powerful file system then Synology + models are what you want. Synology supports the new btrfs file system on the X86 models and it is well worth it over the aging ext4 file system, See this link for the comparison https://www.synology.com/en-us/dsm/Btrfs and this link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er0889N40Ko

4. In my humble opinion Synology has the best user interface and the most apps in the package center.

5. From what you have told me and if you want to stick to Synology then stick to the DSXX15+ series as they are more powerful then there latest DSXX17+ models. They use all use an Intel Atom C2550 running at 2.40GHz with a CPU beanch mark of 2329 according to this link http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Atom+C2550+%40+2.40GHz This is the same CPU that is used in my 1815+ and with many applications including 6 IP cameras both 3 and 4MP it ran very well.

6. Synology and QNAP both have live demo sites, See links below. Take a look around in both and also checkout the package centers of each to compare and see what you like best, Just to not one package I use from Synology is the DNS server, This is a caching server so it helps speed up the lookup times. QNAP did not offer this last time I looked. Both Synology & QNAP include two free camera licenses for Surveillance Station, Though both company call it Surveillance Station they are not the same.

Synology Demo https://www.synology.com/en-us/dsm/live_demo

QNAP Demo https://www.qnap.com/en/support/con_show.php?op=showone&cid=8

7. I know you said you where thinking a 4 bay, I would say consider more bays if you can afford it? Because it will give you more options such as you can create a 2nd volume on the NAS and run the built-in backup of the NAS and use that volume for the local backup, This makes restoring faster then pulling it across the LAN. You can also add SSD caching if you feel you need it. Those are just some of the options you will have with more bays and you can centralize all your storage instead of spitting it up on multiple systems.

8. Here is a good read comparing Synology vs QNAP http://nascompares.com/2016/06/23/synology-vs-qnap-which-is-the-best-nas-for-you/

I had a lot of fun! I cant wait to see if I can get this Doorbot to work on my account. I did shoot two 360 clips if you want to take a look, these links are unlisted on youtube so we can keep them within the group or share away if that's the desire. I cant really go back and blur any faces...

Dave, thank you for this event, my 4th!

Chris, thank you for this fun 360° video!

I've now created a new post with links, including some of the pictures:

Dave McCabe announced new podcast RESET at #BestMeetupEver 2016 Indianapolis, SmartHomeHQ's Chris Compton recorded 360° video of TinkerTry Supermicro SuperServer overview
1 person likes this

Sorry its taking so long for me to get back to you, Based on your response and my lack of time I am trying to figure out how to respond in a way you will understand. I think my response is going to be in many parts so please bear with me.

Thanks for the detailed response. Its now clear to me your not an average user like most of us hear (reinforcing you should not go cheap). If you don't mind me asking what roll does MyMovies play in your setup?

It is no secrete the Synology & QNAP are the leaders in this space and for very good reason and unless you know some of the basics as to what separates one from the other it can be very confusing so I am going to try and break it down in simple form for you, See below-

1. It was once said that QNAP had more powerful hardware at a similar price point but Synology is quickly closing that gap

2. If your looking to run VM's on your NAS then QNAP is your NAS.

3. If your looking for the most powerful file system then Synology + models are what you want. Synology supports the new btrfs file system on the X86 models and it is well worth it over the aging ext4 file system, See this link for the comparison https://www.synology.com/en-us/dsm/Btrfs and this link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er0889N40Ko

4. In my humble opinion Synology has the best user interface and the most apps in the package center.

5. From what you have told me and if you want to stick to Synology then stick to the DSXX15+ series as they are more powerful then there latest DSXX17+ models. They use all use an Intel Atom C2550 running at 2.40GHz with a CPU beanch mark of 2329 according to this link http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Atom+C2550+%40+2.40GHz This is the same CPU that is used in my 1815+ and with many applications including 6 IP cameras both 3 and 4MP it ran very well.

6. Synology and QNAP both have live demo sites, See links below. Take a look around in both and also checkout the package centers of each to compare and see what you like best, Just to not one package I use from Synology is the DNS server, This is a caching server so it helps speed up the lookup times. QNAP did not offer this last time I looked. Both Synology & QNAP include two free camera licenses for Surveillance Station, Though both company call it Surveillance Station they are not the same.

Synology Demo https://www.synology.com/en-us/dsm/live_demo

QNAP Demo https://www.qnap.com/en/support/con_show.php?op=showone&cid=8

7. I know you said you where thinking a 4 bay, I would say consider more bays if you can afford it? Because it will give you more options such as you can create a 2nd volume on the NAS and run the built-in backup of the NAS and use that volume for the local backup, This makes restoring faster then pulling it across the LAN. You can also add SSD caching if you feel you need it. Those are just some of the options you will have with more bays and you can centralize all your storage instead of spitting it up on multiple systems.

8. Here is a good read comparing Synology vs QNAP http://nascompares.com/2016/06/23/synology-vs-qnap-which-is-the-best-nas-for-you/

Thanks for the additional details. Work has been quite busy this week, so delayed/shortened responses.

I'm running MyMovies application to manage the metadata for the ripped blurays. I also have the MyMovies plugin on my MediaCenter htpc. I'm using ArcSoft TotalMediaTheater to play the content back over the lan.

I also remembered that I'm running Cloudberry on the WHS2011 box to back up to Amazon each night.

You've given me a lot to digest. That will keep me busy for the next week or so.

You make a good point with the extra bays. I'll look into that as well.

I'm leaning Synology, based on your information. I'll check out the models you recommend.

Thanks again for the help!

Hey everyone,

Last follow up on Meetup 2016.  Phil gave us a great write up of the 3 Pack of Lumas that he won at Meetup.  If anyone else want's to drop a few lines in the forums about their winnings that would be cool.  The single Luma, the ADATA SSD, Synology Router, Almond gear, etc.  You guys disappeared!  Let me know how it is going with the gear!

Dave

I just got the Luma set up while my wife is taking a nap. We'll see if she notices any differences! :)

My domain controller doesn't seem to be happy about using Luma for DNS. All my wired Ethernet devices run through that, but I'm the only one that uses anything wired so I'm the only one that might be bothered by that.

I'll keep you updated!

1 person likes this

Thanks for the additional details. Work has been quite busy this week, so delayed/shortened responses.

I'm running MyMovies application to manage the metadata for the ripped blurays. I also have the MyMovies plugin on my MediaCenter htpc. I'm using ArcSoft TotalMediaTheater to play the content back over the lan.

I also remembered that I'm running Cloudberry on the WHS2011 box to back up to Amazon each night.

You've given me a lot to digest. That will keep me busy for the next week or so.

You make a good point with the extra bays. I'll look into that as well.

I'm leaning Synology, based on your information. I'll check out the models you recommend.

Thanks again for the help!

ItGeeks,

If you could provide a little more advice:

Given what I've described above, and also looking for flexibility in the future, I'm wondering if either the DS416play or the DS916+ is the way to go. The DS916+ is definitely more expandable and powerful. I can't imagine that I would ever need more than that anytime soon. The DS416play is $150 cheaper. My thought is to store my bluray rips on this and play a little with IP cameras. I plan to continue to run Plex on my WHS2011 box and pull the video from the Synology if it ever needs to be transcoded/streamed. That would be done by the WHS2011 box. I right now I do have three 5TB drives that I was going to RAID5. Is my thinking correct here?

Would you suggest a different path to consider?

Thanks for all your help and guidance. Definitely love the HSS forums!