Dave

Meetup 2016

114 posts in this topic

Great to hear, Paul! I might be in the market for one of your Superservers this year and would love to take a look at it in person.

Hey all.  Read up.  You need to know all this stuff if you are attending.  If you have not RSVP'd to me you need to now!  There is still time to sign up.  I will take signups until next week as I can adjust catering numbers easily but read all the details because if you are not signed up, you will not get in.  

Friday
5:00 PM HSS HQ Tour - If you are Patreon Patron, you are invited to the HQ for a small tour.
6:30 FRY'S Meet in coffee shop
7:30 Eats, near Fry's Electronics.

Saturday
8:00 Setup. Only arrive this early if you have display gear. 
9:00 Opening Keynote
5:00 End
6:00 Microsoft Store

Sunday AM 
Breakfast at Waffle House

IMPORTANT

If you plan on taking the reward of the HSS HQ Tour please e-mail me or PM me.  This is a Patreon reward so you can sign up for Patreon to get it.

http://patreon.com/davidmccabe

I will give the address out to you via e-mail or PM and that also allows me to get a count so I can control who is coming to my house!  I've been working on this house non stop for months so I hope I can have it ready for you.  Some of the electronics are not in place but it should be good enough for us to chat about.  

If you can't make the tour we will go to Fry's on 96th and I-69 here in Fishers, IN.  I have a spot for us to dine soon after that.  Otherwise, the keynote starts at 9AM SHARP!

8900 Keystone Crossing, Indianapolis IN 46240

Guests

Meetup is for you.  We have had wives and girlfriends attend but they also need a ticket to get in.  If you have a spouse that would like to have lunch with us, please sign up for a ticket as well.  I don't mind meeting your better half and making fun of your geekiness with them.  ;)

Generally, kids do not attend.  I bring mine in for lunch and you are free to do that as well.  Again, you will have to sign them up so I can get a count.  If you need to bring someone to care for kids they will need a badge.  I always make a badge for my boys and they think it's cool to be included so keep me informed.  I will do what I can to make you comfortable. I don't do diapers anymore though.  Just FYI.  ;)

If you need to sign someone else up for Meetup and you are already a patron please use the paypal link.  It is located here:

http://homeservershow.com/meetup-2016.html

If you have special needs or need something to assist you please let me know.  I don't want to deter anyone from coming.  

Microsoft and Area

This is a business office not a hotel.  Keep that in mind. It's also nearby a huge mall and some other shopping districts.  It's a great place to turn your spouse loose.

Microsoft is hosting us again this year.  Please plan some purchases at the Microsoft store on Saturday night.  You more than likely will be given a coupon to use there.  Yes, you must attend this too! Bring spouses and kids because we like to roll into the MS store as a huge buzzing crowd.  It's especially important this year as we want to make a huge buzz up there because the iphone crowd will be around.

We will leave Meetup as a group and walk over.  This part is really fun!

Gear

You can show off your gear! If you have something you want to bring, please do so.  This is what Meetup is. Guys and Gear.  It doesn't have to be servers.  We have had some fun stuff over the years.  One guy, who I won't mention (Dewain R.) even brought the local fire department!

You can bring small items to sell and trade with.  Laptops, etc.  I buy stuff every year!  Just remember that a lot of folks are flying so bringing an 8U rackmount case might not be the best fit.  I'm bringing my Band2 to sell (it is new)  That kind of stuff.

If you want to bring a "Bag of Crap" to give away you may do so.  Please keep it small and just a couple of items. Label it and seal it.  I don't want this part of the give away to take up too much time but I bet we could do this all day long! Ha, maybe we will have to in order to get through them all!

If you have new or VERY gently used items you would like to give away please let me know.  It needs to be something newer and otherwise seen as a sweet deal.  Right? We can't give away two year old hard drives.  

Lastly.  If I do not have a badge with your name on it YOU WILL NOT COME IN.  With thousands of dollars of gear and 50 people running around I can't police everything.  I have to be strict on this policy and thankfully we have not run into any issues in the past.  This year is a little crazier since we have patrons and paypal tickets so it's up to me to get it right! If I don't and you are a patron or paypal ticket I will have record of it so we will get you in.  I will not be accepting tickets at the door.

I was telling John Stutsman recently that I think this one is going to be the best ever.  I know I say that every year but this one is going to be special to me.  I have something for you and I'm excited to share it with you.  Only at Meetup though.  See you there and please have safe travels.

Dave

1 person likes this

Lot's of e-mail today!  I used patreon, PM, and e-mail to give out the invitations to HQ.  Thanks guys.  E-mail me or message me for HQ invitations.  

Canceled my CEDIA plans, this means I am booked and headed to Meetup 2016.

I'm gong to bring 4x GE Z-wave Toggle switches for the giveaway.

Edited by cscompton
2 people like this

I think Jim and I need to be eligible for the give away this year!  So much good stuff!

Canceled my CEDIA plans, this means I am booked and headed to Meetup 2016.

I'm gong to bring 4x GE Z-wave Toggle switches for the giveaway.

You gave up CEDIA, for the meetup.  Dave Rules!

2 people like this

Great to hear, Paul! I might be in the market for one of your Superservers this year and would love to take a look at it in person.

Happy to oblige! I will be bringing a compact Xeon D-based Supermicro SuperServer, mostly just for physical display (not carrying a monitor/no complex config, unlike last year), since David's note mentioned it's ok to just bring stuff. I'll be more in wallflower mode as an attendee this year, soaking in all the cool stuff to see and learn about.

I will also have much of the Xeon D equipment (in many shapes and sizes) back in my home lab. I somebody wants, and time permits, I'll just remotely VPN in, and show that person around.

Synology pictured below was won from Dave at last year's meetup, made good use of it as shared RAID0 iSCSI shared VMware datastore).

Full-resolution image source.

SuperServerDemoRig-resized.png:

Ok We have both Coast, the Gulf Coast, and UK representing.    Time for Renny and Zadler to show up.

Schoonover should load you up on Gen8 brackets to be his UK reselling arm since you are visiting.

+1, those sound like great ideas!

Awww...that was my first meet up. You never forget your first! (wipes away tear)

2 people like this

1 person likes this

Wow! those are some Great! memories Dave , Thanks! for sharing!!

1 person likes this

I'm bringing some gear again this year that I hope can find a new home. I really don't want to bring it back with me. The current list can be found here: http://bdgr.ws/HSSMeetup2016

I'm still adding some items, so check back. If you're interested in anything just find me at the Meet Up or PM me here.

Stormy Weather, be safe!

Can you please confirm if Friday night we meeting at frys in fisher in or someone please confirm address.

If anyone needs a ride please

Let me know

It's over!  We had another great meetup.  I'm looking forward to hearing from those that attended.  Leave me your thoughts and reviews.  What was your favorite part?  What would you like to see next time.   I'm glad I pulled off another one and am so grateful for all of you that made all the effort to attend.  What a great couple of days we had.

A big thanks to sponsors and everyone who donated gear for give aways.  Synology, Securifi, Home8, Insteon, Silicon Dust, Kevin Schoonover, Alan Eisen, Jim Shoemaker, John Aydellote, Dewain Robinson.  itGeeks donated the big prize of a 3 pack of Lumas.  I probably left someone out so let me know if I forgot.

The demos were great and I got my TV calibrated by JonB!  I can't wait to see what a properly calibrated TV looks like.  We did a virtual demo with Richard Gunther remote and Josh Pollard local.  It was cool to see all of Richard's devices on the HomeBoy app.  Paul Braren persevered through multiple airplanes and flights to bring his Super Server.  Dewain brought the "pi bar," and there were so many others.  Josh Pollard, Chris Kenney.  It was such a good time.

Thanks again to all.

It's over!  We had another great meetup.  I'm looking forward to hearing from those that attended.  Leave me your thoughts and reviews.  What was your favorite part?  What would you like to see next time.   I'm glad I pulled off another one and am so grateful for all of you that made all the effort to attend.  What a great couple of days we had.

A big thanks to sponsors and everyone who donated gear for give aways.  Synology, Securifi, Home8, Insteon, Silicon Dust, Kevin Schoonover, Alan Eisen, Jim Shoemaker, John Aydellote, Dewain Robinson.  itGeeks donated the big prize of a 3 pack of Lumas.  I probably left someone out so let me know if I forgot.

The demos were great and I got my TV calibrated by JonB!  I can't wait to see what a properly calibrated TV looks like.  We did a virtual demo with Richard Gunther remote and Josh Pollard local.  It was cool to see all of Richard's devices on the HomeBoy app.  Paul Braren persevered through multiple airplanes and flights to bring his Super Server.  Dewain brought the "pi bar," and there were so many others.  Josh Pollard, Chris Kenney.  It was such a good time.

Thanks again to all.

Wow!

Big Thanks!!! To Dave and Jim and Everyone!! else who helped put this years meetup together!!

It was beyond Awesome!!

It was so Great seeing Old Friends and making many more New ones!!

It was a weekend I will never forget.

Sooooooooo Glad!!!! the stars aligned for me to make it this year!

The Microsoft space was amazing and so were all the Demos and Gear!!

I can't wait till next year!!

I took tons of photos. As time goes on I will post many of them.

I will leave you with the full group shot that I took at the end of the meetup.

Enjoy! Tim   #bestmeetupever ( trademarked by John Stutsman )

P1160658_zpspb2naqj0.jpg

2 people like this

Thanks for another great meet-up Dave!

Thanks for the group photo, VF, that's really cool!

The podcast is dead. Long Live the Podcast!

Is meet-up 2017 scheduled yet? No? Why not?

1 person likes this

Even if you don’t live close to Indianapolis; participating in a Meet-Up from UK or mainland Europe is completely do-able as I proved this weekend. Flying to and from Indianapolis from Norwich in England was smooth, efficient (11 hours) and affordable (~£600). Several US based participants travelled far longer than my easy straight forward journey.

Having enjoyed and learned so much from HGG/HSS for several years; attending a Meet-Up had been an aspiration for ages. But until this year, joining one had always seemed impractical.

In the forums I’ve always lurked more than posted, but the few times I have left voice mails or messages I’ve been impressed with the prompt well thought out responses and spirit of our community.

Meet-Up 2016 started with an ice-breaker on Friday evening where we all met each other in advance of the main event on Saturday. Our tour of Dave’s HSS HQ, where we saw an impressive home IT system, was inspirational and made me realise how limited my home set up is. Afterwards we went to Fry’s where we geeked out in an amazing huge one stop shop “boy’s toys” supermarket. Our tasty casual burger and beer dinner together rounded the introductions and evening off so well. Meeting Dave and Jim was a highlight; albeit unusual, as I felt as if I knew them both but of course they knew nothing of me.

Saturday’s main Meet Up in the Microsoft Indianapolis training room completely met my expectations. Dave, aided by Jim, cleverly scheduled a series of informal periods and organised topical presentations. Our breakfast coffee with pastries, catered bbq lunch and afternoon ice-cream bar were tasty and enjoyed by all of us. Big appreciations to Microsoft for making the venue available to us. Several individuals and companies generously donated gear for a substantial give-away at the end of the day. Big thanks to Synology, Securifi, Home8, Insteon, Silicon Dust, Kevin Schoonover, Alan Eisen, Jim Shoemaker, John Aydellote, Dewain Robinson. Special thanks to (Tony) itGeeks who donated the big prize of a three pack of Lumas which I was lucky enough to win. I also won a completely misnamed “box of crap” donated by Kevin Schoonover, which is full of interesting stuff. Afterwards we descended on mass to the nearby Microsoft Store where the staff made us welcome and several of us bought some tasty kit. Our dinner together in a nearby Irish Bar rounded off the day.

This morning we enjoyed a farewell breakfast in a rural Waffle House and said our goodbyes. This particular Waffle House personified my mental model of a USA diner complete with booths and bar to eat at.

Today I’ve explored downtown Indianapolis where I needed to buy a suitcase to bring home all my shopping and kit I’d won.

All of you who have thought about attending a Meet-Up; I urge you to take action and book a ticket next year. You won’t regret it.

Special thanks and well done to Dave for organising Meet-Up 2016 for us to all enjoy.

Cheers,

Phil (GabonPhil)

PS Europe based Reset/HSS/HGG fans….., complete long shot I know, but if we could ever encourage Dave and Jim to come to London; would you join in for a “pop up” mini Meet Up?

USA based fans, would this a reason to come and visit UK?

Do leave an indication below if you are at all interested. Who knows, we might get one away.  :mellow:

Great to have you there Phil. Just to clear things up, I ordered and canceled a Luma 3-pack. itGeeks is another far more knowledgeable forum 

member than me and he donated the 3-pack. Wanted to give credit where credit is due.

I'm shopping for a notebook and like your daughter, think I"m going to get a Surface Pro4.

BTW. Do you have a Twitter username?

Very Cool!! Chris!!

Nice Job!!

Great to have you there Phil. Just to clear things up, I ordered and canceled a Luma 3-pack. itGeeks is another far more knowledgeable forum 

member than me and he donated the 3-pack. Wanted to give credit where credit is due.

I'm shopping for a notebook and like your daughter, think I"m going to get a Surface Pro4.

BTW. Do you have a Twitter username?

Thanks for clarifying that Tony.

itGeeks thanks again for such a generous prize. Rest assured I'll put it to good use.

My twitter name is @GabonPhil

1 person likes this

Thanks to everyone for another great meetup (my fourth)!  I came with several issues/questions in mind and left with some answers, ideas, and further things to research, so it was definitely time well spent.

Special thanks to Paul for answering all my questions (after going above and beyond to be there), Eddie for some good chats, and thinking of more questions to ask than I usually do, and of course to Dave, Jim and all who helped organize, present, and bring cool stuff to play with.

See y'all next year!