• Please log in to reply
    104 replies to this topic

#1 GotNoTime

GotNoTime

HSS Advanced

• Members
    • 820 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 10:18 AM

I received an email from Ubiquiti about this and figured other people may be interested. Ubiquiti are pushing into the home WiFi segment as well now with their new AmpliFi system.

The store lists 3 models.

AmpliFi for $199 which is 2x2 802.11n for router cube + range extenders.
    AmpliFi LR (Long Range) for $299 which is 3x3 802.11ac for router cube and 2x2 802.11n for range extenders.
    AmpliFi 802.11ac HD (High Density) for $349 for 3x3 802.11ac for router cube + range extenders.

The range extenders I assume are just WDS bridges as they don't mention mesh networking. The router for the AmpliFi LR appears to be exactly the same as the router for the AmpliFi HD as the specs including weight are exactly the same. It doesn't have different hardware like the UniFi LR APs.

There is an Android and iOS configuration app.

#2 JoseROrtiz

JoseROrtiz

HSS Pro

• Members
    • 190 posts
    • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 09 May 2016 - 11:19 AM

That router looks sexy. If they in fact don't use mesh that would be very disappointing and surprising given their experience and competition. Guess I'll have to preorder and find out for myself.

Nice catch!

#3 HSS-Dave

HSS-Dave

Founder

• Administrators
    • 2,735 posts
    • LocationIndiana

Posted 09 May 2016 - 05:52 PM

Consider me the first to be skeptical about this.  Not that it will exist someday but it's simply Ubiquiti in a new coat of paint.    Why Why Why put out three different SKU's?  I don't get it.  Confuse your marketplace with your step into this new era of home Wi-Fi? To me that is just plain dumb.  I've heard the routers are good so you got me there even though I'm going to hide away the pretty LCD screen.  I get it though.  A lot of folks have an ugly cable modem right next to an ugly router.  At least one will look nice now.  The extenders are all via wireless so you can't get wirespeed even if you wanted it. Am I assuming that correctly?   Any mention on release date?

Ubiquiti got caught sleeping when eero was released and now Luma might put them out of the home market for good.  Hey, lets shove our chipset into something that looks spiffy.  Sorry guys.  I  will not fund this lipstick.

HSS Forums - Read Me First Post (Updated)

Listen to RESET Podcast. http://mccabe.io

#4 GotNoTime

GotNoTime

HSS Advanced

• Members
    • 820 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 08:30 PM

The specifications tabs have changed since I originally posted. Now it lists significantly less specs and they do bizarre things like add up all the various radio chains + throughput on the router + extenders so the HD is an "18 chain 5.25Gbps" WiFi system.

Originally it listed the basic AmpliFi model as being 802.11n only but the new specifications tab says it is 802.11ac for all the routers.

The Ars Technica preview mentions more information. The Ars Technica copy of the datasheet again mentions more than the copy now found on the AmpliFi site.

According to Ars Technica:

AmpliFi = 3x3 802.11ac at 24dBm TX power for router and 2x2 802.11n at 22dBm TX power for the range extenders.
    AmpliFi LR = 3x3 802.11ac at 26dBm TX power for router and 2x2 802.11n at 24dBm TX power for the range extenders.
    AmpliFi HD = 3x3 802.11ac at 26dBm TX power for router and 3x3 802.11ac at 26dBm TX power for the range extenders.

The AmpliFi datasheet lists:

AmpliFi = 4 radios, 10 chains/antennas and 24dBm TX power
    AmpliFi LR = 4 radios, 10 chains/antennas and 26dBm TX power
    AmpliFi HD = 6 radios, 18 chains/antennas and 26dBm TX power

Going by the # of radios, the AmpliFi/AmpliFi LR range extenders are 802.11b/g/n i.e. 2.4GHz only despite the old datasheet which lists 802.11a.

This means:

AmpliFi = One 3x3 2.4GHz/5GHz 802.11ac at 24dBM TX power router + Two 2x2 2.4GHz 802.11n range extenders. This accounts for the 4 radios and 10 chains since 3x 2.4GHz + 3x 5Ghz in router and 2x 2.4GHz in the range extenders. The range extenders are probably 22dBm TX power like the Ars Technical article states.
    AmpliFi LR = One 3x3 2.4GHz/5GHz 802.11ac at 26dBm TX power router + Two 2x2 2.4GHz 802.11n range extenders. Same arrangement for the radios and chains but the router is 26dBm. I assume the range extenders are 24dBm like the Ars Technica article and old datasheet states.
    AmpliFi HD = One 3x3 2.4GHz/5GHz 802.11ac at 26dBm TX power router + Two 3x3 2.4GHz/5GHz 802.11ac range extenders. Everything at 26dBm TX power. The total is 6 radios and 18 chains since 3x 2.4GHz + 3x 5GHz in router and 3x 2.4GHz + 3x 5GHz in the range extenders.

Edited by GotNoTime, 09 May 2016 - 08:32 PM.

#5 schoondoggy

schoondoggy

HSS Genius

• Moderators
    • 5,483 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 08:30 AM

My knee jerk reaction is to run from anything that uses WiFi repeater/extenders, but Ubiquiti is really good at making them. Although I have to agree with Dave that the three models may be confusing. With a starting point of $199, this could be interesting if it works as promised.

#6 itGeeks

itGeeks

HSS Master

• Donating Member
    • 2,148 posts
    • LocationNJ

Posted 30 July 2016 - 03:19 PM

My knee jerk reaction is to run from anything that uses WiFi repeater/extenders, but Ubiquiti is really good at making them. Although I have to agree with Dave that the three models may be confusing. With a starting point of $199, this could be interesting if it works as promised.

schoon so what do you think about it? Patrick Norton seems to like it https://www.youtube....h?v=Cad06YwIbrA

According to this review it uses mesh for the extenders http://gizmodo.com/t...pots-1784006697

"For $200, the Amplifi includes a small, unobtrusive router with a touchscreen which can display either the time, throughput, or IP address, as well as two mesh router extensions that plug directly into the wall and require next to no effort to set up."

Edited by itGeeks, 30 July 2016 - 03:42 PM.

*Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so other members can help and learn. Thanks!*

#7 awraynor

awraynor

HSS Elite

• Donating Member
    • 1,930 posts
    • LocationSpartanburg, S.C.

Posted 30 July 2016 - 03:40 PM

On chat with them given all of my devices and home automation they recommended the most expensive HD, of course.

One reviewer said if you don't know what 3x3 is you probably only need the base version.

There aren't a lot of reviews, but many really liked the power of the base router alone.

If a forum member hadn't generously shared a discount code for Eero with me I was going to give the HD a try.

#8 itGeeks

itGeeks

HSS Master

• Donating Member
    • 2,148 posts
    • LocationNJ

Posted 30 July 2016 - 03:54 PM

schoon so what do you think about it? Patrick Norton seems to like it https://www.youtube....h?v=Cad06YwIbrA

According to this review it uses mesh for the extenders http://gizmodo.com/t...pots-1784006697

"For $200, the Amplifi includes a small, unobtrusive router with a touchscreen which can display either the time, throughput, or IP address, as well as two mesh router extensions that plug directly into the wall and require next to no effort to set up."

Just looked at the Amplifi home page and it says "mesh' networking so its true thank god. I think this should be a solid contender in this space, I just may have to get one and try it out. https://www.amplifi.com/

*Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so other members can help and learn. Thanks!*

#9 itGeeks

itGeeks

HSS Master

• Donating Member
    • 2,148 posts
    • LocationNJ

Posted 30 July 2016 - 04:09 PM

On chat with them given all of my devices and home automation they recommended the most expensive HD, of course.

One reviewer said if you don't know what 3x3 is you probably only need the base version.

There aren't a lot of reviews, but many really liked the power of the base router alone.

If a forum member hadn't generously shared a discount code for Eero with me I was going to give the HD a try.

I know hew that was that shared that code with you but I wont tell  :P Ok so doing a bit of research the base station router is the same for all 3 kits the change is in the extenders only, The HD version is the only one that extends wireless AC to the extenders. I hope I made this clear. I am very intrigued by this system and may have to give it a try at some point. I really want parental control's and virus/malware/spyware scanning at the gateway though and that was my hope for Luma. According to a review I just read this is the start of a series of stuff ubiq is going to bring to the home market so it could be very interesting in the coming months to see whats in store. http://gizmodo.com/t...pots-1784006697

#10 awraynor

awraynor

HSS Elite

• Donating Member
    • 1,930 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 04:09 PM

(10:03:09 PM) Visitor 70306586 is now known as Anthony.
    (10:03:09 PM) Anthony: Does the amplifi offer true mesh or just hops from router to extenders?
    (10:03:19 PM) *** Alan T joined the chat ***
    (10:03:23 PM) Alan T: Hi Anthony
    (10:03:39 PM) Anthony: Good afternon.
    (10:03:42 PM) Anthony: afternoon.
    (10:04:35 PM) Alan T: Its true mesh network
    (10:04:46 PM) Alan T: It provides seamless handoff
    (10:05:50 PM) Anthony: Okay. I had heard conflicting reports. The website specs are a bit thin.
    (10:06:11 PM) Anthony: Thank you for your help.
    (10:06:23 PM) Alan T: We have tested about everything, there were no conflicting
    (10:06:41 PM) Alan T: Let the product come to the market, you will get the information
    (10:06:55 PM) Anthony: Thank you and have a great day.
    (10:07:03 PM) Alan T: Thanks for chatting with us.
    (10:07:13 PM) Alan T: Have a great day ahead!

#11 awraynor

awraynor

HSS Elite

• Donating Member
    • 1,930 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 04:19 PM

I know hew that was that shared that code with you but I wont tell  :P Ok so doing a bit of research the base station router is the same for all 3 kits the change is in the extenders only, The HD version is the only one that extends wireless AC to the extenders. I hope I made this clear. I am very intrigued by this system and may have to give it a try at some point. I really want parental control's and virus/malware/spyware scanning at the gateway though and that was my hope for Luma. According to a review I just read this is the start of a series of stuff ubiq is going to bring to the home market so it could be very interesting in the coming months to see whats in store. http://gizmodo.com/t...pots-1784006697

This was also a good review:

http://arstechnica.c...-802-11ac-gear/

And here is a talk with their VP of business development:

http://www.hometech.fm/shows/117

#12 itGeeks

itGeeks

HSS Master

• Donating Member
    • 2,148 posts
    • LocationNJ

Posted 30 July 2016 - 05:12 PM

(10:03:09 PM) Visitor 70306586 is now known as Anthony.
    (10:03:09 PM) Anthony: Does the amplifi offer true mesh or just hops from router to extenders?
    (10:03:19 PM) *** Alan T joined the chat ***
    (10:03:23 PM) Alan T: Hi Anthony
    (10:03:39 PM) Anthony: Good afternon.
    (10:03:42 PM) Anthony: afternoon.
    (10:04:35 PM) Alan T: Its true mesh network
    (10:04:46 PM) Alan T: It provides seamless handoff
    (10:05:50 PM) Anthony: Okay. I had heard conflicting reports. The website specs are a bit thin.
    (10:06:11 PM) Anthony: Thank you for your help.
    (10:06:23 PM) Alan T: We have tested about everything, there were no conflicting
    (10:06:41 PM) Alan T: Let the product come to the market, you will get the information
    (10:06:55 PM) Anthony: Thank you and have a great day.
    (10:07:03 PM) Alan T: Thanks for chatting with us.
    (10:07:13 PM) Alan T: Have a great day ahead!

Great info. I had a little chat of my own, See below-

Ray
    Jul 30, 15:53 PDT
    Chat started: 2016-07-30 10:22 PM UTC
    (10:22:46 PM) Visitor 27394594 is now known as Ray.
    (10:22:46 PM) Ray: Hi need some info please
    I was wondering if you have parential controles built in?
    Do you have any security built in for scanning for viruses/malware?
    Can we port forward?
    (10:22:53 PM) *** Alan T joined the chat ***
    (10:22:55 PM) Alan T: Hi Ray
    (10:23:11 PM) Alan T: Yes, we have parental controls option.
    (10:23:37 PM) Alan T: We have SPI firewall, but its recommended to have an antivirus on your systems
    (10:23:48 PM) Alan T: Yes there is a port forwarding option.
    (10:24:52 PM) Ray: Great! Do you support UPnP?
    (10:25:04 PM) Alan T: Yes, we do support UPnP
    (10:25:53 PM) Alan T: Do you have any other questions for me ?
    (10:26:46 PM) Ray: Yes
    (10:27:31 PM) Ray: Ok so there is no scanning for viruses/malware though rite?
    (10:27:40 PM) Alan T: Yes
    (10:28:33 PM) Ray: O OK great. Is the base station the same on all 3 kits?
    (10:28:55 PM) Alan T: Nope, there is a little difference
    (10:29:31 PM) Alan T: Just give me a moment
    (10:30:01 PM) Alan T: The transmisson power for Base is 24 dBm
    (10:30:14 PM) Alan T: LR and HD got 26dBM
    (10:30:59 PM) Ray: Ok thanks but the base station supports AC for all three kits?
    (10:31:16 PM) Alan T: Yes, all supports wireless standard 802.11ac
    (10:33:04 PM) Ray: Great! I am one of the very disapointed Luma pre-order customers, Do you offer any discount for Luma pre-order customers to cancle there order and purchase Amplifi?
    (10:33:28 PM) Alan T: Unfortunately, we don't have promo code at this time
    (10:34:23 PM) Ray: NB I tried, Thanks for all your help and I will probably order anyway. Where can I purchase from?
    (10:34:59 PM) Alan T: You can visit our wesite and order from it. Here is the link:https://store.amplifi.com/
    (10:35:07 PM) Alan T: * website
    (10:35:57 PM) Ray: Thanks one last qwestion, How many sqft will the basic 199.00 base station cover?
    (10:36:15 PM) Alan T: 10k sqft
    (10:37:09 PM) Ray: thanks very much, Thats just the base satation not the added extenders right?
    (10:37:32 PM) Alan T: With exenders :)
    (10:37:38 PM) Alan T: * extenders
    (10:38:05 PM) Ray: ok what I am asking is just the base station coverage?
    (10:38:29 PM) Alan T: around 6k sqft
    (10:38:52 PM) Ray: thank you very much. Have a great day
    (10:38:58 PM) Alan T: Thanks for chatting with us.
    (10:39:06 PM) Alan T: Have a great weekend!
    (10:39:17 PM) Ray: You as well
    (10:53:43 PM) *** Alan T left the chat ***

If that is true that the base station alone will cover 6,000 sqft I would think a lot of use would be fine with the 199.00 deal. Just to add they do support bridge mode as well. Even though I had bad luck with there older Unifi products I am very intrigued by this product.

Edited by itGeeks, 30 July 2016 - 05:21 PM.

#13 awraynor

awraynor

HSS Elite

• Donating Member
    • 1,930 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 05:59 PM

Yes. Some have mentioned stated figures are in a warehouse with no walls, so with walls your mileage will vary, but likely still good enough.

I read on their site that yes it will operate in bridge mode with your existing router still handling wired and DHCP duties. 

This may yet be a contender.

Unlike Luma, Eero has a 30-day return period. If not at least on E-Bay it sells for more than Luma. 

#14 itGeeks

itGeeks

HSS Master

• Donating Member
    • 2,148 posts
    • LocationNJ

Posted 30 July 2016 - 06:05 PM

Yes. Some have mentioned stated figures are in a warehouse with no walls, so with walls your mileage will vary, but likely still good enough.

I read on their site that yes it will operate in bridge mode with your existing router still handling wired and DHCP duties. 

This may yet be a contender.

Unlike Luma, Eero has a 30-day return period. If not at least on E-Bay it sells for more than Luma. 

Agreed, I really do think this is one to look at. The only downfall I see so far is no Ethernet backhaul so you are 100% wireless mesh with no option. That said I think most peaple would use wireless mesh because lack of CAT5/6 in remote locations.

Edited by itGeeks, 30 July 2016 - 06:07 PM.

#15 whsbuss

whsbuss

HSS Star

• Members
    • 87 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 06:58 PM

Agreed, I really do think this is one to look at. The only downfall I see so far is no Ethernet backhaul so you are 100% wireless mesh with no option. That said I think most peaple would use wireless mesh because lack of CAT5/6 in remote locations.

I just picked up their UniFi AC Pro (2 units) to trial as my first volley into Ubiquiti. I cannot run ethernet here so I had the main unit (ethernet to switch) in the 2nd flr office (about center of home) and the other unit in my 1st for family room. Had some initial issues (setup office as static IP and didn't understand why I could not setup the wireless one as static IP too) but now that the network is up and running I LOVE THE COVERAGE (sorry, excited). Even with the wireless back haul I get full speed with VZ FiOS (50/50).

I set band steering as Balanced and its works perfectly..... zero handoff is truly amazing. I get full internet signal throughout my entire house and out about 12 feet outside. So I plan to play with these and decide if I want to keep them or wait for the AmpliFi HD. If Ubiquiti has made the AmpliFi as good as their UniFi line, then wifi has finally come into the 21st century.

(EDIT: reason I like the AmpliFi is that its a full router - in case I dump FiOS I would not need a router for the AC Pro APs)

Edited by whsbuss, 30 July 2016 - 07:05 PM.

• awraynor likes this

#16 awraynor

awraynor

HSS Elite

• Donating Member
    • 1,930 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 07:44 PM

I just picked up their UniFi AC Pro (2 units) to trial as my first volley into Ubiquiti. I cannot run ethernet here so I had the main unit (ethernet to switch) in the 2nd flr office (about center of home) and the other unit in my 1st for family room. Had some initial issues (setup office as static IP and didn't understand why I could not setup the wireless one as static IP too) but now that the network is up and running I LOVE THE COVERAGE (sorry, excited). Even with the wireless back haul I get full speed with VZ FiOS (50/50).

I set band steering as Balanced and its works perfectly..... zero handoff is truly amazing. I get full internet signal throughout my entire house and out about 12 feet outside. So I plan to play with these and decide if I want to keep them or wait for the AmpliFi HD. If Ubiquiti has made the AmpliFi as good as their UniFi line, then wifi has finally come into the 21st century.

(EDIT: reason I like the AmpliFi is that its a full router - in case I dump FiOS I would not need a router for the AC Pro APs)

Great news. Wi-Fi is exciting again!

#17 schoondoggy

schoondoggy

HSS Genius

• Moderators
    • 5,483 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 08:07 PM

Just looked at the Amplifi home page and it says "mesh' networking so its true thank god. I think this should be a solid contender in this space, I just may have to get one and try it out. https://www.amplifi.com/

As far as i can tell the Amplifi system is not mesh. The 'mesh' points, as they are now calling them, do not talk to each other, they only talk to the router. That said it still seems like a good system. The router is fast. If you can position it in the center of your home you should be fine. When they say it is 'mesh' they seem to move the conversation to roaming and handoff.

#18 oj88

oj88

HSS Advanced

• Donating Member
    • 636 posts
    • LocationAsia/Manila

Posted 31 July 2016 - 12:34 AM

Instead of switching to Amplifi, just compliment your Unifi with the USG and manage everything via the Unifi controller.

Windows Home Server 2011:

Usage: Plex Media Server, uTorrent, AirVideo, PRTG, HD Sentinel, WHS Client Backup
    Gigabyte Z97 D3H-CF Intel Core i5-4570 + 180GB SSD (system) + 8GB DDR3 RAM
    Drive Bender pool: 20TB (4 x 3TB + 2 x 4TB) WD Red

Synology DSM (XPEnology):

Usage: Pseudo off-site backup target (different floor from WHS)
    HP MicroServer G7 N40L
    BIOS-Mod, 4GB USB Flash (boot image) + 2GB DDR3 RAM
    SHR array: 3 x 2TB + Hot Spare WD Green disks

Others:

D-Link 1210-20 Web-managed Switch

Cisco 2621XM - IP Telephony / PBX

HP MicroServer G7 N40L with ESXi: Untangle NG Complete

#19 whsbuss

whsbuss

HSS Star

• Members
    • 87 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 03:52 AM

Instead of switching to Amplifi, just compliment your Unifi with the USG and manage everything via the Unifi controller.

Not sure what a USG is.

EDIT: Its a UniFi Security Gateway.

Edited by whsbuss, 31 July 2016 - 04:07 AM.

#20 whsbuss

whsbuss

HSS Star

• Members
    • 87 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 03:59 AM

As far as i can tell the Amplifi system is not mesh. The 'mesh' points, as they are now calling them, do not talk to each other, they only talk to the router. That said it still seems like a good system. The router is fast. If you can position it in the center of your home you should be fine. When they say it is 'mesh' they seem to move the conversation to roaming and handoff.

You may be right in the full sense of mesh but it may in fact be a hybrid of open mesh and wireless extender. Here's the email and response I got from AmpliFi:

I am so excited to try your new product. I currently have 2 UniFi AC Pro units in my 3-story home and I absolutely love the zero handoff, band steering, and other features. The reason for my inquiry is I may soon move to another location and would like to give my AC Pro’s to my son for his home.

Additionally, since I have Verizon FiOS with their embed router, the UniFi’s work very well because they utilize the router function (APs). But I may not have FiOS available in my new location. That being said, the AmpliFi’s utilize a full function router with wireless remotes.

Will the router support:

- zero handoff
    - band steering (incl. balanced)
    - uPNP
    - port forwarding

I hope this makes sense. Do you expect the HD model to be available soon?

Their Response:

Thanks for getting in touch with us!

Answering your questions related to supported features of Amplifi router 
    Amplifi router would support Band Steering, uPNP and port forwarding but it doesn't support zero handoff 

Band steering is enabled by default. This allows the router and mesh points to continually monitor the connection to your device and steer it towards the 5 GHz band for more power. If, however, the connection begins to weaken, it will jump back to the 2.4 GHz band, which has more range. Band steering allows for the strongest device connection available; however, you have the option to disable this feature and keep your device connected on the band of your choice, 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz.

Also let me tell you that it does have USB 2.0 to connect UPnP port forwarding through Amplifi app and it does support band and could allow you do a port forwarding .

you could be able to pre-order now at https://store.amplifi.com/ but shipping for US from 15th august but for other countries it would at least 1-2 months 

Hope that's helpful. If you have any other questions, please let us know!

Skins By Invisioneers