schoondoggy

HPE Proliant ML10 Gen9

24 posts in this topic

No, it's a server that's usable in a home environment.  iLO and it's bizarre interaction with the B120i controller was a total waste of time for most people, and led to the obnoxious fan noise issue.

Basically, HP have produced a TS140/T20 style machine, and I can only congratulate them for it.

It looks to have 5 standard 3.5" bays (3 removable, 2 where floppy drives classically go), and 1 in a 5.25" to 3.5" conversion bay at the top.  

It uses the Intel GPU and Intel's AMT for remote access, again the same as the other Dell/Lenovo/Fujitsu server of that style.

Only one NIC.  :(

All the details can be seen in the "self-service manual" available from HP's site.

Edited by HellDiverUK

6 LFF drives though. Looks like you can easily pack it with some extra SSD if using additional controller.

I point out the items it does not have, because these are things I would expect to be included in a Proliant Gen9 HPE server. Many forum members are setting up home labs to educate themselves on servers, operating systems and virtualization. The features I list as missing are useful tools for working with HPE servers in a data center. Unfortunately, looking at the specs, the ML10 Gen9 does not currently have support for ESXi or HyperV. I am sure the ML10 Gen9 will be popular and will meet the needs of many users.

1 person likes this

Slightly odd hardware configuration. Only a single gigabit Ethernet port but it has two Display Port sockets on the back.

It uses another Intel workstation chipset so it only takes ECC RAM like the older ML10s. 6 SATA ports but this time it is just the standard Intel SATA controller with the option of Intel RST RAID. No HP Dynamic Smart array firmware/drivers. This does mean vSphere won't support RAID on it but it wasn't really a good idea anyway.

No, it's a server that's usable in a home environment.  iLO and it's bizarre interaction with the B120i controller was a total waste of time for most people, and led to the obnoxious fan noise issue.

Basically, HP have produced a TS140/T20 style machine, and I can only congratulate them for it.

It looks to have 5 standard 3.5" bays (3 removable, 2 where floppy drives classically go), and 1 in a 5.25" to 3.5" conversion bay at the top.  

It uses the Intel GPU and Intel's AMT for remote access, again the same as the other Dell/Lenovo/Fujitsu server of that style.

Only one NIC.   :(

All the details can be seen in the "self-service manual" available from HP's site.

At first I thought - you're partially right in that it's kind of like the TS140.  Then I looked at the QuickSpecs PDF.

http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=c04922962

The TS140 had better thought out drive bays; this has all of the drive-mounting of a cheap Inwin case.  Power supply has been cheaped down, too.  Slot configuration isn't as good. The TS140 has a much better fan setup, and the optical drive, while basic, is standard equipment.  There's isn't an iLO, just AMT (as long as the Xeon CPU is the configuration you buy), and unlike the TS140, it appears there's no official support for an optional RAID card (the TS140 supports a ThinkRAID hardware (with cache) controller that is the Lenovo-firmwared equivalent of the LSI 9261-8i).  So I'd probably rate it like a Dell PowerEdge T20.

Which, in the end, makes me ask "Why?  It does pretty much none of the things I'd buy an HP server for, even a budget one".  Despite some complaints about the B120i, the ML10v2 and the Microserver Gen8 run rings around this in terms of features.

No iLO --no sale.  That's pretty much my absolute minimum "It's what makes an HP an HP" or perhaps better said "It's the one thing that above all else makes HP stand out from every other manufacturer in the budget server space".  I hope $299 only the MSRP, because we've already seen the ML10v2 with a Xeon for $329, and for $189 with the Core i3, and that's a much better bargain, even if the CPU and RAM are older.  The only benefit of this I see is upgradeability to 64GB of RAM, so I guess you can make a budget workstation, if you add a budget-level workstation graphics card.

Edited by LoneWolf

I point out the items it does not have, because these are things I would expect to be included in a Proliant Gen9 HPE server. Many forum members are setting up home labs to educate themselves on servers, operating systems and virtualization. The features I list as missing are useful tools for working with HPE servers in a data center. Unfortunately, looking at the specs, the ML10 Gen9 does not currently have support for ESXi or HyperV. I am sure the ML10 Gen9 will be popular and will meet the needs of many users.

Agreed.  Calling it a Gen anything appears like a selling tactic.

Without iLO, Intelligent Provisioning, or the ability to migrate from an HP Dynamic Smart Array controller to a (supported) hardware Smart Array controller, this looks like someone tried to build a bit taller Microserver, and then stripped most of the options that made it great, or, designed a budget workstation board and then stuck generic-inexpensive-PC components around it but designed it to look nice.  I think it may have some uses, may even sell well, but I hope people don't buy it thinking they're getting a Camry only to find they now own a Yaris.

Looks nice to me I bet if they go cheap it will only be the pentium model that does

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

One other note:  From what I've seen so far (to echo SchoonDoggy), it's not that HP just doesn't mention ESXi or HyperV --they explicitly *do not* support it on this box.  The videos I've seen from HPE/Coffee Coaching regarding this device speak to the intention that this only be a physical server; that means if you call HP for support and you're running a hypervisor, you won't get it.

So, if you want a Server 2012R2 Foundation box, using RAID-1 off the SATA controller, I guess this will do it.  If you want even Server 2012R2 Essentials, I'd be moving on up to the ML10 v2 or higher (the ML10 v2 QuickSpecs show VMWare support) --though one has to think that the ML10 v2 is going to be replaced by the ML10 Gen9 if you go by the nomenclature, so the ML10 v2 may be fire saled to clear it from the channel.

Edited by LoneWolf

No iLO --no sale.  

Most definitely!

Intel AMT is a very poor substitute (IMHO) - I mean, a server management system that can shut down the server *and itself* so after a power down, you have to physically walk to the machine to recover it :o

Most definitely!

Intel AMT is a very poor substitute (IMHO) - I mean, a server management system that can shut down the server *and itself* so after a power down, you have to physically walk to the machine to recover it :o

No, this is incorrect. I just bought ML10Gen9 (Xeon) and successfully setup AMT. Initially I wasn't  realized that ML10G9 comes without  ILO and was extremely disappointed. However, it's turned out that AMT functionality is very similar to ILO. It's somehow messy in setup manuals but in fact not difficult at all. I found that RealVNC KVM in some degree even better than ILO's browser operations. Remote switch on/off/hard reset is fully supported and works.

The only [serious] issue is headless (monitor-free) operations. So far it doesn't work.  It's originally supported by Intel but seems doesn't work for HP ML10G9.

I will start a new thread for that and I posted ticket to HP.

Few words to ML10G9 itself. Well, the first impression was [strong] disappointment. It looks not like server (inside) at all but like regular PC and, in fact, it is. From other hand, it is crazy cheap even for good manufactured PC and it is fast, tangibly faster than ML110G7 and Microserver G9 that I have too. It also supports 64Gb of standard RAM. I bought Kingston KVR21N15D8/16. It works fine and very cheap too. So far uptime was ~1 month without any issues so I become more satisfied except headless operation.

No, this is incorrect.

Sorry, but it was very correct; IBM (the server manufacturer) support were able to reproduce the behaviour and raised it with Intel who said there was no fix.

This was using AMT8 and Redhat 6. I guess the ML10G9 is using AMT9, so may not exhibit this behaviour...

You can try to see if its fixed by loading a Linux distribution and on the same ethernet interface as AMT, shut that ethernet port down.

If the bug is still there, the server can still be accessed through local console but the AMT web interface etc is no-longer available because the shared interface is shutdown.

The ML10G9 uses AMT11.0. I confirm that I able to switch off and on in very different ways. As soon as the box connected to the power, it works stable. 

Ethernet interface uses shared MAC but it's possible to switch between shared and dedicated AMT IP/FQDN. I used dedicated one.

The power interface can be accessed in two ways: via its own web-interface (similar to iLO, uses ports 16992-16993) or via software (RealVNC. vPro Solution Manager, Manageability Commander Tool).

The fun stuff is that DisplayPort also consists an audio and that audio redirected via RDP to the my notebook. So I started to hear Server 2012 sounds! (honestly, never have heard them so far :)

Maybe there's no b120i because it's not exactly intuitive to set up?

I remember first trying to set up my ML10v2. Installed the hard drives, tried to access the SSA program during boot, and nothing! The stupid thing is not even preloaded. I found it very stupid that I had to go download the service pack image and do a remote iLO boot simply to access the SSA to get the disks working.

I've also had inconsistencies with the Windows version of the SSA not seeing disks that the service image SSA had created.

Maybe there's no b120i because it's not exactly intuitive to set up?

I remember first trying to set up my ML10v2. Installed the hard drives, tried to access the SSA program during boot, and nothing! The stupid thing is not even preloaded. I found it very stupid that I had to go download the service pack image and do a remote iLO boot simply to access the SSA to get the disks working.

I've also had inconsistencies with the Windows version of the SSA not seeing disks that the service image SSA had created.

You don't need the SSA to set up the array on most HP servers; you can enter the basic controller setup utility with F8 at startup. 

The SSA has some additional options --but note that if you went one model up from the ML10v2, you'd get Intelligent Provisioning, which does have the SSA at boot.  You don't get SSA at boot unless you purchase a server with Intelligent Provisioning, which requires a Gen8 server or every Gen9 server except the ML10.  Sadly, HP isn't completely clear about the ML10 v2 not coming with Intelligent Provisioning; I bought one and sold it for this exact reason.

Edited by LoneWolf

Does seem to be a pretty useless box, I want something that can replace my Gen8, hopefully use some of the bits out of it but this just doesnt seem to be aimed at that, too many bits missing..

This is update of AMT headless operations. After number of iterations HP confirmed that ML10Gen9's AMT is not able to work without monitor connected. They recommend to connect appropriate adapter

http://h20566.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=1008686780&docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-c05226637

then use EDID dummy to emulate that monitor is connected.

I ended up with P/N: AS615AA and just old VGA monitor connected and it works now.

Just FYI, before original HP adapter I tried at least 5 different cheaper DP adapters, none of them worked. 

Edited by Niksr
1 person likes this

Hello,

Following are the Specifications of HPE Proliant ML10 Gen9 

Now HP official store available Two models of HPE Proliant ML 10 Gen9 which are

Processors:  Intel® Xeon® E3-1200 v5 product family; Intel® Pentium®; Intel® Core™ i3

MAX RAM:   64GB, 4 DIMM slots, DDR4 UDIMM

Storage:(6) LFF SATA  Non-hot plug, depending on model

Network Controllers: Intel® Ethernet Connection I219-LM 1 Ports per controller

• Depending on model

Thank You.

This one is now on cashback but I'm confused how do I find it on here is it the ml10 v2?

This one: HP ProLiant ML10 Gen9 Pentium G4400 v5

http://m.ebuyer.com/758894

Anyone know if I can put a workstation GPU in here (quadro or firepro) and use this for mild workstation use (aka SolidWorks)? I have several decent machines at my business for running SolidWorks but I'd like something at home and these ML10 Gen9 servers are very inexpensive for what you get. Seems to me if I add an SSD, maybe a little more ram, and a workstation graphics card I should have a half way decent machine. I know that this type of use isn't officially supported, but is there any reason why it won't work? 

According to quickspecs, the ML10 only supports intels onboard graphics for the Xeon CPUs. I am wondering what that means for the G4400??? I hope this is a typo or it makes no sense.

The G4400, according to ARK supports 4k video playback at 60HZ. This would make an ML10 the cheapest 4k capable media server on the market for £140 after cashback. Anyone confirm?

Hi, guys, I just want to share my one year experience with ML10 Gen9. HP published firmware update that supports headless operations. I installed it but didn't try actual work (was too lazy to disconnect monitor). The server itself... works. However, it's definitely NOT a server, just simple workstation. Over 1 year uptime there were two server hang-ups.  In both cases AMT hanged along with server too. So, in no way I was able to make remote reset and had to physically came to server to push a reset button. In one case it took me 2 hours flight.

So, conclusion is never ever. If you are on the budget, Ebay DL360 G7 is cheaper and way better.