69 replies to this topic

#1 snapper

snapper

HSS Pro

• Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 03:15 PM

Hi,

Noticed today that Untangle now do a $5/month or $50/year home user licence for their "NG firewall complete".

Has anyone used Untangle, how does it compare to Sophos UTM?

• Dave likes this

#2 Poppapete

Poppapete

HSS Advanced

• Donating Member
  • 874 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia

Posted 20 March 2016 - 03:32 PM

Untangle is easier to setup and maintain IMO and can do most things Sophos does but costs money for the complete antivirus package.  The Sophos variety talked about here is free for most situations.

Server: OS-Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials with update/ CPU: E3-1230 V3 3.3 GHz/ Chassis: 732D4-500B (SuperMicro)/ Motherboard: X10SLH-F (MicroServer) / RAM: 1600MHz ECC 4 X 8GB UDIMM/ HDD: Samsung 256GB 840BW SSD for C: and 18TB of Storage with 2 X 3TB WD Blacks , 2 X 2TB WD Red and 2X4TB HGST Enterprise using DrivePool for Data

Router: TP-Link TL-ER5120

Switch: TP-Link TL-SG3424 Managed Switch & TP-Link PS104GT for Poe

UTM: Untangle Home on SuperMicro SYS-5018D-MF with 2X4GB RAM, Samsung 840Pro SSD & Xeon E3-1230V3 CPU

WIFI: 2 Open Mesh MR1750's

#3 Dave

Dave

Founder

• Administrators
  • 3,905 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 20 March 2016 - 06:42 PM

I'm trying to find how to purchase it like that.  Direct link?

HSS Forums - Read Me First Post (Updated)

Listen to RESET Podcast. http://mccabe.io

My Links to Newegg and Amazon are usually commission links. Consider shopping via these links and turn off your Ad Blocker for these forums. Every little bit helps! Thank you.

#4 snapper

snapper

HSS Pro

• Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 06:43 PM

I'm trying to find how to purchase it like that.  Direct link?

http://www.untangle.com/buy/

In the Licenced Devices dropdown, select Home at the top.

#5 Dave

Dave

Founder

• Administrators
  • 3,905 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 20 March 2016 - 06:45 PM

Ok, Nevermind!

https://forums.untan...icing-here.html

My Links to Newegg and Amazon are usually commission links. Consider shopping via these links and turn off your Ad Blocker for these forums. Every little bit helps! Thank you.

#6 Dave

Dave

Founder

• Administrators
  • 3,905 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 20 March 2016 - 06:53 PM

Wow.  This is impressive.

NG Firewall Complete includes:

NG Firewall Complete includes all of our paid NG Firewall applications:

#7 Poppapete

Poppapete

HSS Advanced

• Donating Member
  • 874 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 07:12 PM

Well I suppose they had to compete with Sophos Home.  Looking good and no device limit as long as you are not commercial.  Don't know how they police that bit!  Bit of work to change back from sophos to UT but it is definitely easier to administer IMHO.

Server: OS-Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials with update/ CPU: E3-1230 V3 3.3 GHz/ Chassis: 732D4-500B (SuperMicro)/ Motherboard: X10SLH-F (MicroServer) / RAM: 1600MHz ECC 4 X 8GB UDIMM/ HDD: Samsung 256GB 840BW SSD for C: and 18TB of Storage with 2 X 3TB WD Blacks , 2 X 2TB WD Red and 2X4TB HGST Enterprise using DrivePool for Data

UTM: Untangle Home on SuperMicro SYS-5018D-MF with 2X4GB RAM, Samsung 840Pro SSD & Xeon E3-1230V3 CPU

#8 texasPI

texasPI

HSS Pro

• Members
  • 225 posts
  • LocationMontgomery, AL

Posted 22 March 2016 - 05:16 AM

Thanks for the heads up. I've used Sophia item before but found the learning curve too steep. I've used untangle in the past but wanted more than the free web filter offered and did not want to pay the price for commercial license. I was considering the Circle device but this new pricing option for untangle will work great for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Dave and snapper like this
Erik

#9 psykix

psykix

HSS Pro

• Members
  • 267 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 23 March 2016 - 06:05 AM

Good spot! I've switched to it. Can't argue for $5 per month!

• Dave and snapper like this

#10 pcdoc

pcdoc

HSS Legend

• Moderators
  • 4,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Posted 26 March 2016 - 12:04 AM

Having used Untangle for years I can say without reservation that despite the feature list they have listed, it cannot hold a candle to XG.  Untangles base features do very little without allot of user input and it is not very user friendly to tweak the settings above the default settings.  98% of what Untangle does without purchasing modules is NAT.  Web/application filtering is very poor and not maintained.  The AV works well from what I have seen and the VPN works but the rest needs help.  The one things is the learning curve is pretty short for the basic setup but even longer than XG for a more thorough setup.  Just my two cents from a long time user who swore by untangle.

Main Storage - QNAP TS-451 with 3 x 6T WD REDS

Main Server - Storage Server 2012R2, Core I5-4570S, 16T RAID 5 (5x4T REDS) + 180G Intel SSD

VM Server - Core I7-4770 with 32 Gigs of DDR3 and 4 x 128 Gig Samsung SSD's, and 3 x 256 Gig Samsung SSD's in RAID 0 for VM.

Main Systems - Core I7-4770, 16 Gigs DDR3-1600, 180 Gig Intel 330 SSD. 240 Gig Intel 520, 3T Seagate - Other systems - Core I7-2600, 2 x Core I5-2500, Core I5-4570S, Core I3-2100, and G620

My Blog - The Doc's World
For More Information:

Computer Systems

Home Network

#11 Poppapete

Poppapete

HSS Advanced

• Donating Member
  • 874 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 12:58 AM

pcdoc,

I agree with all you say but most people (even geeks) will be happy with the basic UT setup which is far more secure (with the new addins) and "customizable" than a retail router even if it is supercharged with DD_WRT.

I had UT for 2 years (paying for the good AV) and changed to sophos to save the money but never a week went by without me having to tweek it due to some family member having trouble with some device. In the beginning I found tweaking sophos a challenge then just time consuming.

#12 snapper

snapper

HSS Pro

• Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 03:40 PM

...it cannot hold a candle to XG...

A bit OT, but how are you getting on with XG now the new update has landed?

I'm still on UTM9, but contemplating UT or XG...

#13 pcdoc

pcdoc

HSS Legend

• Moderators
  • 4,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Posted 26 March 2016 - 04:38 PM

I actually love it. I guess it might be what you expect but for me it has been awesome. Like it enough to have switched the company I work for over to it. Once you understand it it really make it pretty easy.

Main Storage - QNAP TS-451 with 3 x 6T WD REDS

Main Server - Storage Server 2012R2, Core I5-4570S, 16T RAID 5 (5x4T REDS) + 180G Intel SSD

VM Server - Core I7-4770 with 32 Gigs of DDR3 and 4 x 128 Gig Samsung SSD's, and 3 x 256 Gig Samsung SSD's in RAID 0 for VM.

Main Systems - Core I7-4770, 16 Gigs DDR3-1600, 180 Gig Intel 330 SSD. 240 Gig Intel 520, 3T Seagate - Other systems - Core I7-2600, 2 x Core I5-2500, Core I5-4570S, Core I3-2100, and G620

My Blog - The Doc's World
For More Information:

Computer Systems

Home Network

#14 rotor

rotor

HSS Pro

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 05:00 AM

I actually love it. I guess it might be what you expect but for me it has been awesome. Like it enough to have switched the company I work for over to it. Once you understand it it really make it pretty easy.

They really don't make it easy though. A specific fixed IP and no console login to change it, no console status to give an idea of what's going on... Appliance 101 is give console access to provide initial configuration.

Also, in 10-20 minutes of Googling, I was unable to find accurate information about setting up an ESXi VM (what OS to choose, what disk controller, what NIC controller). I ended up choosing RHEL7 with Paravirtual and VMXNET3, and it seemed to work (although I haven't tested yet because I have to build another VM SOLELY to configure it with the crappy IP they statically assign just so I can change it through the web console).

Edited by rotor, 27 March 2016 - 05:02 AM.

#15 ServerRookie

ServerRookie

HSS Pro

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 07:06 AM

Can XG be used in bridge mode?

#16 psykix

psykix

HSS Pro

• Members
  • 267 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 29 March 2016 - 08:18 AM

For me, in a home environment Sophos XG is useless.

At least with Untangle (paid $5 per month sub) I can enable IPS, Web filter, AV filter and it doesn't break Netflix or Microsoft updates, or other video streaming services.

Also, Sophos XG always reported my WAN as being down when it wasn't, no decent real time monitoring, no way to reset warnings once things had breached (i.e. CPU usage), and the support level is non existent unless you are a fully paid up corporate member. There was more but I forget the other issues! It was so bad for me, that I even deleted the VM.

And yes, that static IP for initial config - who on earth thought that idea up?!

So it's all horses for courses I guess!

#17 itGeeks

itGeeks

HSS Master

• Donating Member
  • 2,207 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 29 March 2016 - 09:34 AM

Having used Untangle for years I can say without reservation that despite the feature list they have listed, it cannot hold a candle to XG.  Untangles base features do very little without allot of user input and it is not very user friendly to tweak the settings above the default settings.  98% of what Untangle does without purchasing modules is NAT.  Web/application filtering is very poor and not maintained.  The AV works well from what I have seen and the VPN works but the rest needs help.  The one things is the learning curve is pretty short for the basic setup but even longer than XG for a more thorough setup.  Just my two cents from a long time user who swore by untangle.

pcdoc, Have you tried Untangle brand new version? I have not but it sure does look good.

v12.0 Comunity Webinar https://www.youtube....h?v=PVBemaMLA3I

I am also thinking of taking v12 for a spin.

Edited by itGeeks, 29 March 2016 - 09:41 AM.

*Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so other members can help and learn. Thanks!*

#18 itGeeks

itGeeks

HSS Master

• Donating Member
  • 2,207 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 30 March 2016 - 05:31 AM

For me, in a home environment Sophos XG is useless.

At least with Untangle (paid $5 per month sub) I can enable IPS, Web filter, AV filter and it doesn't break Netflix or Microsoft updates, or other video streaming services.

Also, Sophos XG always reported my WAN as being down when it wasn't, no decent real time monitoring, no way to reset warnings once things had breached (i.e. CPU usage), and the support level is non existent unless you are a fully paid up corporate member. There was more but I forget the other issues! It was so bad for me, that I even deleted the VM.

And yes, that static IP for initial config - who on earth thought that idea up?!

So it's all horses for courses I guess!

I agree with most of what your saying. It is a bummer that Sophos can't seem or want too fix some of this stuff, I believe it's the later. I love Sophos in all it's glory but things like Windows updates, Printer updates & Netflix not working is just crazy. I am still on XG at the moment but that's probably going to change at some point. I am waiting on my Luma devices to show up, I also am trying to hold out for the next XG update to see if some of this stuff gets sorted. Now I am thinking about trying the new UT, How is it working for you in compare to XG? Do you feel your getting the same level of protection without the problems of XG? It really is a shame about XG because I really do feel secure with my network but this annoying stuff needs to get fixed if its going to be for home use and the fact that everything with Sophos seems to be the best kept secrete unless your a partner has got to change if they want to grow in the home market. Maybe Sophos should get smart and take a lesson from Untangle and charge a small fee for there top rated protection and make us feel we are part of there customer base with support rather then alienate us, Some of the best ideas come from home users. Its just crazy that home users can't even fill out a support ticket because it gets bounced.

Edited by itGeeks, 30 March 2016 - 05:40 AM.

*Please do not Private Message me for support questions; leave it on the forum so other members can help and learn. Thanks!*

#19 psykix

psykix

HSS Pro

• Members
  • 267 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 30 March 2016 - 05:38 AM

Well given that I had to turn pretty much everything off in XG to keep things like the kids iPads working properly, then it's a vast improvement.

I have IPS installed and running, I have Web Filter installed and functioning great, and I have installed and tested the Antivirus module using eicar.org and it seems to be doing the job.

On top of that I installed the web cache just to see how it works, and it seems to be caching a few thousand hits a day.

All in all, and along with the new modern looking interface, it's great. It's $5 per month vs free for XG but $5 per month is worth it for me.

I have had an issue whereby my box wouldn't apply updates properly and they have narrowed it down to an incorrect Grub version or similar. I logged a support ticket, and got a really fast initial response, although since that it's been a bit slow on getting the resolution implemented.

Mind you, compared to XG support it's head and shoulders better!

#20 itGeeks

itGeeks

HSS Master

• Donating Member
  • 2,207 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 30 March 2016 - 05:55 AM

Well given that I had to turn pretty much everything off in XG to keep things like the kids iPads working properly, then it's a vast improvement.

I have IPS installed and running, I have Web Filter installed and functioning great, and I have installed and tested the Antivirus module using eicar.org and it seems to be doing the job.

On top of that I installed the web cache just to see how it works, and it seems to be caching a few thousand hits a day.

All in all, and along with the new modern looking interface, it's great. It's $5 per month vs free for XG but $5 per month is worth it for me.

I have had an issue whereby my box wouldn't apply updates properly and they have narrowed it down to an incorrect Grub version or similar. I logged a support ticket, and got a really fast initial response, although since that it's been a bit slow on getting the resolution implemented.

Mind you, compared to XG support it's head and shoulders better!

Thanks for the update. Are you running UT in a VM? If yes how much CPU & RAM did you give it? How many devices are on your network?

In all fairness the last XG update did fix some of the problems that we where having such as the 'web filter' and IPS can now be active without braking streaming on mobile devices but we still cant have http scanning enabled because that still brakes Netflix steaming to mobile devices. That said I am still having to bypass my desktop computer to download and install new Windows 10 insider builds.