ToyCeli22

ML10v2 Drive Cage

115 posts in this topic

Looks like the unit on the left is a ML30.  Here is the blogpost from which it came from:

http://homeservershow.com/unboxing-my-hpe-proliant-ml30-gen9.html

You are right! how did i mis that...  hence my remark the cases side by side are super confusing. Here's all 3 side by side, note the ML30 is the one with the 4x blue usb connectors on the front.

The ML310e v2 Gen8 (most right note the 4 non-blue USB connectors.) is one of many editions, specifically this edition has: multi out 350w psu and non-hot-swap drivebay.

(Remove the metal backplate with cable assembly, replace by hotswap backplane and the bay is hot swap.)

uXAk9af.jpgqqTc6Ij.png

Thanks for clearing this one up, I did not find the photo here, when searching ML310e V2 Gen8 this one came up in google image search. saw the link noticed the url was from the blog portion of the site.

Edited by H00GiE

H00GiE, I'm curious --are you sure the system on the left in that picture is an ML310e and not an ML30?

I ask for one reason; every ML310e I've seen has black USB 2.0 front ports, while the ML30 has the USB3 colored-blue-like-you'd-expect ones.

I hope the cat is doing alright ;) But above post should have quoted you too, you came up with the blue USB connector thing.

Anyway now i've made the confusion even bigger by putting all 3 side by side... there really is no difference apart from the bays and notably the usb connectors... 

Stil looking for a reasonable priced drive bay + hot swap backplane. And i don't care if it's from a ML30 Gen9 or a ML310e v2 Gen8 both are the same...

I would not be at all surprised if the parts on a ML30 Gen9 say "replacement part ML310e v2 Gen8 <%insert partnumber%>" it does on the heatsink of a ML10 v2.

Edited by H00GiE

With the three pictures side-by-side, I'm now reasonably sure that the enclosure is the same.  Which probably means the other parts are too.

All three parts (enclosure, backplane, backplate with cables) are available on eBay US for okay prices if you already have an ML10 v2, and you won't have to wait.

In my case, I found Provantage out of Ohio had one open-box ML310 Gen8 v2 in the SmartBuy configuration (HP part 724977-S01), at a savings of 45 bucks off their regular (already good) price.  I've ordered that.  I found it to be almost everything I wanted, at half the price of an ML30.  And, open box = free shipping for them. $415 USD.

I have to pay a restocking fee on the ML10 v2, but live and learn.  I really want HP Intelligent Provisioning after having it on my Microserver, among other things and I (silly me) didn't realize that the drive cage wasn't at least the caged hot-swap one..  I'll list the ML10 v2 on Craigslist tonight until the weekend at a bargain price, and if I can't sell it locally, it will be RMA-ed (I already have a number).  And I agree, I do love the black, but if I love it that much, I can take the Krylon (spray-can) route. ;)

Only thing is, now I can't name my new server DARKHELMET like I was going to (the Microserver is BORGCUBE).

Edited by LoneWolf
1 person likes this

With the three pictures side-by-side, I'm now reasonably sure that the enclosure is the same.  Which probably means the other parts are too.

All three parts (enclosure, backplane, backplate with cables) are available on eBay US for okay prices if you already have an ML10 v2, and you won't have to wait.

In my case, I found Provantage out of Ohio had one open-box ML310 Gen8 v2 in the SmartBuy configuration (HP part 724977-S01), at a savings of 45 bucks off their regular (already good) price.  I've ordered that.  I found it to be almost everything I wanted, at half the price of an ML30.  And, open box = free shipping for them. $415 USD.

I have to pay a restocking fee on the ML10 v2, but live and learn.  I really want HP Intelligent Provisioning after having it on my Microserver, among other things and I (silly me) didn't realize that the drive cage wasn't at least the caged hot-swap one..  I'll list the ML10 v2 on Craigslist tonight until the weekend at a bargain price, and if I can't sell it locally, it will be RMA-ed (I already have a number).  And I agree, I do love the black, but if I love it that much, I can take the Krylon (spray-can) route. ;)

Only thing is, now I can't name my new server DARKHELMET like I was going to (the Microserver is BORGCUBE).

Take a wild(berry) guess what the servername of my ML10 v2 is:

wIpPBKw.jpg

I did find enough people willing to sell it from the US.

The Issue is with shipping, tho the product prices are reasonable, i'm not willing to pay $40-60(USD) for shipping to europe.

Edited by H00GiE

Take a wild(berry) guess what the servername of my ML10 v2 is:

wIpPBKw.jpg

I did find enough people willing to sell it from the US.

The Issue is with shipping, tho the product prices are reasonable, i'm not willing to pay $40-60(USD) for shipping to europe.

I just did a amazon search and found this one in Europe with free shipping, and that's a cage and backplane.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B00RTHDEIW/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=all

Looks like an alright deal to me :)

I just did a amazon search and found this one in Europe with free shipping, and that's a cage and backplane.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B00RTHDEIW/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=all

Looks like an alright deal to me :)

That HP ID corresponds only to the backplane board, that item does not include the cage. someone else linked that same item before...

I was gutted when i nearly gone through the complete process of ordering and realizing it was only the board...

This is the contents of 

(674839-B21) 1 x 686756-001 + 1x SAS Cable
jNfLUTJ.jpg

the US amazon page has the decent product description:
http://www.amazon.com/686756-001-4-bay-hot-plug-factor-backplane/dp/B009SORO5I
Edited by H00GiE

because the ML30 Gen9, ML10 v2 and ML310e v2 Gen8 Drive cages weren't confusing enough:
Here's a picture of a ML310e v2 Gen8 with the optional 8x SFF 2.5" sas / sata cage (this option does need a extra smart array controller preferably with 8i SAS ports.)
Needless to say item 686753-001 will fit the ML10v2 and ML30 Gen9 just as well...  
IGPqyDF.png

Edited by H00GiE

That HP ID corresponds only to the backplane board, that item does not include the cage. someone else linked that same item before...

I was gutted when i nearly gone through the complete process of ordering and realizing it was only the board...

This is the contents of 

(pic deleted)

the US amazon page has the decent product description:
http://www.amazon.com/686756-001-4-bay-hot-plug-factor-backplane/dp/B009SORO5I

Sorry about that, I think I posted the original link to. Just went by the pic and description on the UK Amazon site.

Well, the amount of money I saved *not* adding a drive cage to an ML10v2 and getting the ML310e -or if you look at it another way, by not buying the ML30, is enough to buy a Xeon E3-1231 v3; once I'm sure it's all good, I can sell the E3-1220 v3. So it's all good.

1 person likes this

Well, the amount of money I saved *not* adding a drive cage to an ML10v2 and getting the ML310e -or if you look at it another way, by not buying the ML30, is enough to buy a Xeon E3-1231 v3; once I'm sure it's all good, I can sell the E3-1220 v3. So it's all good.

Ye, like I said on a other forum: If i could have gotten into the ML310e v2 Gen8 sale sooner i would have gone for that one. but now with all that hardware I added to my ML10 v2 it's cheaper to go for the drivebay upgrade than it is to sell the ML10 v2 and replace it with a ML310e v2 G8.

Besides I only paid €170 for my ML10 v2 

Ye, like I said on a other forum: If i could have gotten into the ML310e v2 Gen8 sale sooner i would have gone for that one. but now with all that hardware I added to my ML10 v2 it's cheaper to go for the drivebay upgrade than it is to sell the ML10 v2 and replace it with a ML310e v2 G8.

Besides I only paid €170 for my ML10 v2 

Good deal.  I jumped because they were offering a Synology DS216se NAS for free (ML10 v2 server and NAS for $449USD).

What other options do you have planned?

Good deal.  I jumped because they were offering a Synology DS216se NAS for free (ML10 v2 server and NAS for $449USD).

What other options do you have planned?

Since I have the LSI Megaraid card installed

i'll be upgrading it to have The battery installed and i'll be starting to use Cachecade (2.0)

using SSD as 2nd level Cache, so it'll be 512MB ram cache and 2x 128GB SSD Cache for 2x 2TB WD RED or 2x 2tb SAS equivalent

(I have the microserver with 12tb of storage so main goal for the drive array in the ML10 v2 is speed not size)

I really would like to hit that 800MB/s+ drive speed again... seek times on databases will be decreased to almost zero.

Other than that, fill the ram slots to 32GB. (not that i will be needing that... but it's better to have and not need than to need and not have)

Then i'm done :) 

Well, my ML310 Gen8 v2 came today.

To me, the cage looks the same (at least from the flange) as the ML30.  I did not measure depth, but according to everyone who has done research so far, HP has told them quietly the case is the same and only the front fascia differs.

Looking at all of it, I think it's extremely likely the ML310 parts will fit.  And H00GiE, yeah, I forgot to say it sucks that the differences in currency exchange rates can totally screw the values and pricing.

My plan is to go 32GB (that just arrived), a Xeon E3-1231 v3 (a boost of 300MHz per core, and Hyperthreading) and the SmartArray P222 controller from my Gen8 Microserver.  I'll be migrating my two 250GB SSDs in RAID-0 to the B120i, and my four 3TB WD Reds in RAID-5 along with the P222.  IcyDock ExpressCage for the SSDs.

Edited by LoneWolf
1 person likes this

Well, my ML310 Gen8 v2 came today.

To me, the cage looks the same (at least from the flange) as the ML30.  I did not measure depth, but according to everyone who has done research so far, HP has told them quietly the case is the same and only the front fascia differs.

Looking at all of it, I think it's extremely likely the ML310 parts will fit.  And H00GiE, yeah, I forgot to say it sucks that the differences in currency exchange rates can totally screw the values and pricing.

My plan is to go 32GB (that just arrived), a Xeon E3-1231 v3 (a boost of 300MHz per core, and Hyperthreading) and the SmartArray P222 controller from my Gen8 Microserver.  I'll be migrating my two 250GB SSDs in RAID-0 to the B120i, and my four 3TB WD Reds in RAID-5 along with the P222.  IcyDock ExpressCage for the SSDs.

If you haven't purchased parts yet, your future setup is almost identical to mine with the exception of the raid controller and i have it in a ML10v2.. but this is what i have setup in mine currently.

E3-1231v3

Crucial 32GB:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008EMA5VU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Icy Dock:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G3435034&cm_re=icy_dock-_-17-994-147-_-Product

If you haven't purchased parts yet, your future setup is almost identical to mine with the exception of the raid controller and i have it in a ML10v2.. but this is what i have setup in mine currently.

E3-1231v3

Crucial 32GB:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008EMA5VU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Icy Dock:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G3435034&cm_re=icy_dock-_-17-994-147-_-Product

I already purchased parts.  Had I done better research, I'd probably have gone with an IcyDock ToughArmor 4 x 2.5" instead of an ExpressCage, but this will work fine.

I went with Kingston's 32GB kit, which with shipping, was $207 from Provantage.

CPU is on its way from Texas via eBay, which is where I'll sell the E3-1220 v3 once this system is built.

Edited by LoneWolf

Well, I ordered the backplane for my ML310e, as the eBay vendor selling them is in my state, and is only charging $20 each for them.  I note that this part was the same for the Gen8 and Gen8 v2; I really think these parts will all work for the ML10 v2 as I continue to work on my system.

I need the backplane, SFF8087 cable (believe I have one sitting around) to go  from the controller to the backplane, and four hot-swap drive sleds (currently making offers on eBay as well).  It will be interesting to see how this goes.

The processor is already in and installed.  I have the system up and running, but will be upgrading to a 1GB cache module (also ups the cache data path from 40 to 72 bits), and the hotswap setup when the parts arrive.

Just waiting for my backplane and drive cage to finally arrive in Australia for shipment from the distributor. Drive sleds are on the way from the U.S. and should be here soon.

Can't wait to get it all finally done :) 

1 person likes this

My backplane has arrived.  I already had a MiniSAS to MiniSAS cable lying around (you will need this to replace the MiniSAS to 4-SATA breakout cable), so now I'm just waiting on the drive sleds.  I'm hoping they'll arrive before the weekend.  The 1GB cache module already arrived for my P222 RAID controller and is installed, so unless I go to a P420 controller, this is the final phase of my project.  The Xeon E3-1231v3 is also installed, as is the IcyDock ExpressCage underneath the DVDRW, and an Intel dual-port NIC.

One note: There is one place on the backplane that is fragile --well, technically four.  It's the spring-contacts that make contact with each hotswap drive sled to light the LEDs  when a drive is docked.  These are a little like the contacts on a cell phone's SIM card slot, and could be broken if one isn't careful.  There's one set right next to each SAS/SATA connector.

$_57.JPG?set_id=880000500F

Edited by LoneWolf
1 person likes this

Also interesting --note that the drive caddys(I'm assuming those are hotswap, unless they're blanks) on the ML30 picture are different than the Gen8 hotswap ones.

Gen8 Front view:

hp-651314-001-sas-sata-lff-3.5-hot-swap-

Gen8 back view, this one's actually the 2.5" but similar (note the electrical contacts for the fingers on the backplane):

7.jpg

Finally, the basic Gen8 non-hotswap tray.  The metal pieces are bracers removed prior to mounting the drive.

652998-001-High-quality-Non-Hot-Plug-SAS

Edited by LoneWolf
1 person likes this

Also interesting --note that the drive caddys(I'm assuming those are hotswap, unless they're blanks) on the ML30 picture are different than the Gen8 hotswap ones.

They look like blanks to me:

5RB8Kdz.png

The gen8 hotswap 3.5" trays:

41YhxXHt5VL.jpg

51j%2Bt6iWszL.jpg

41cXid3W4CL.jpg

Note those screws are not common and easy obtainable.

Unless you have gotten more HP servers and have a few of these screws in storage...

1 person likes this

Well, my final parts arrived tonight.  Assembly in progress.

The docking sleds are a bit of a disappointment.  The metal springs at the outer edge make insertion somewhat difficult (requiring break-in) and the levers aren't very strong, making docking the hot-swap bays actually less confident procedure than the non hot-swap.  With the first bay, I was worried I would break it during the insertion process; I haven't opened the remainder yet (temporary interruption for dinner).  At first, I thought I was doing it wrong, so I removed the drive cage a second time to test docking the drives outside of the case, where I'm testing now.

We'll see where we're at in another hour.  I would like to see the construction to be stronger, especially on the drive levers.  However, I'm not sure that any of the sleds being marketed are HP OEM either; a lot of these may be reproductions, not bad ones, but maybe not HP (usually HP has their logo on everything, and I haven't seen that on any of the sleds I've seen advertised).

Note:  My drive caddys look exactly like the ones H00GiE and I posted.

Edited by LoneWolf

Update:  Well, it's done.  Almost.

First - To anyone doing this project, one piece of advice.  The first time you mount your drives in the cage, do it while the cage is outside of the server.  If you have to adjust the backplane a little for the SAS/SATA ports to line up, or if you're just having issue with your caddys, this makes it much, much easier.

The caddys will need some break-in.  This is another reason why it's good to do outside of the server.  I believe that after they are docked awhile, they will likely slide in and out more easily, but you will probably have to work those metal spring clips a little the first time.

Second - On the backplane, it is completely possible to plug the miniSAS connector in wrong, with the locking clip facing the inside of the case (when it should be facing the outside).  I thought it would only fit one way, and found otherwise when my rig's bays didn't light up and the RAID controller failed to detect the drives.  :wacko: Fixing that took care of it.

One of my caddys turned out to be defective --that is, the lights aren't working, meaning the ribbon cable, or the contacts, or the IC chip up front is bad.  I just sent a message to the seller to get an exchange.  The drive still works, but of course, you know I want all four cages to have the beautiful circles that cycle clockwise.  There's also a blue LED that comes on at initialization briefly, and a white LED under the red button on the cages.  The circles are dual-color green/amber, I'm sure for good drive/failing drive indicators.

My metal drive cage has two stickers that say "Non-Hot Plug" on the inside.  It's just for warning; the cage is the same as the one in the hot-plug, just without the backplane and with different cages.

Edited by LoneWolf
2 people like this

My cage and backplane showed up today :)

Just have to find some time to put it all together and take some pictures. It's been running like a dream so far, and I didn't really need to get a hot swap drive cage, but now all drives in the chassis will be able  to be changed from the front without having to open up the case.

I have pictures; I'm just waiting for a report that things have been fixed so that I can post them.

Well, some kind of complication today. I installed the cage, drives, and sleds and there appears to be no power to the cage. In getting ready to post this message I noticed that LoneWolf's backplane is slightly different then mine. At the top of each slot on my backplane is a little black plastic box with circuitry inside and no fingers for the sled to contact. The drives did not show up in the smart array manager either. So ended up putting it all back to stock and working again.

Now I'm wondering if I ordered the wrong backplane or if was shipped the wrong one. I'll post a pic shortly after I get back from an errand I've got to run.