Trig0r

Frankenbuild

30 posts in this topic

Has anyone ever bothered pulling a Gen8 to bits for parts on a self build, thinking drag the CPU/RAM/P212+Drives out of my Gen 8 and building something up in an old (m)ATX case to give me a bit more space for drives as well as expandability.

Struggling to find a decent S1155 motherboard that'll take the Xeon and give me 32Gb or more RAM...

HP RAID cards are not a great choice for none HP servers.

SuperMicro is still shipping Socket 1155 server boards.

Well after messing, sorry, doing some testing with the P222 and P410 in Frank it looks like I need another card to do what I want.

Once the f/w update went onto the P410 it caused the machine to boot loop while initiating the card, it sits there spinning the cursor on screen then reboots, the P222 spins cursor  and then boots into the OS, tested the P410 back in my Gen 8 and it boots and works as normal..

So, on the lookout for a PCIe card that will allow me to have 2x SFF-8087 connectors, doesn't need to have RAID, just allow me to hang SATA drives out of the 8087 cables I have.

Not in a huuuuge rush as the mobo I have in Frank has 6 SATA headers but any expansion after this point will need it, and given the whole, or at least one of the points of Frank, was to give me more space for drives, I need to find the right card for the job...

I still like to use LSI based cards with IT firmware for this type of use. LSI SAS-9220-8i or IBM M1015 still seem to be available for $50:

https://www.servethehome.com/ibm-m1015-part-1-started-lsi-92208i/

The newer the chipset on the card, the faster and lower power it will be. Watch for Dell and Lenovo cards as they are LSI OEM's.

Yeah seen those before, not in the Uk though so might have to take a punt and grab one from the USA or China...

Few threads would suggest that the "LSI" cards from China are fakes..

Have to see what other options there are.

The problem with the M1015's is that they've become so popular, that they're no longer ~$50. They're closer to full price now ($100-150)

Find a LSI 9211, or 9207 card, and grab that.  Such as eBay Link (9207-8i, shipper in California).

Also, this way, there is no messing with flashing firmware. 

1 person likes this

Downside of living in the UK Chris, that guy won't ship to me..

On a side, what's the IT mode he mentions?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

ugh, sorry, I keep on forgetting that.  And yeah, that sucks....

As for the "IT mode", I don't remember what it stands for, but basically it means "HBA mode".  In "IT mode", all the card does is act as a controller card. No RAID functionality at all.  IT mode is what you want for systems using StableBit DrivePool, Storage Spaces, ZFS, etc. Because all the controller is doing is passing the disk to the OS.  The other mode is "IR mode", and this is RAID mode.  It should work for passing disks through, though this depends on the firmware.  

IT mode is all I'll need then, I'll have a look at what's available here in the UK, or find a seller in the USA that'll ship, failing that it'll have to wait until next year when we're ovre in Atlanta..

2 hours ago, Trig0r said:

Few threads would suggest that the "LSI" cards from China are fakes..

Have to see what other options there are.

Counterfeit cards is a growing issue.

I usually find cards by just searching on LSI 8i. This seller has 9210-8i for $40, looks like they ship to UK:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LSI-SAS-9210-8i-8-port-6Gb-s-PCIe-HBA-RAID-SATA-Controller-card-No-Brackets-/252842986107?hash=item3ade9dca7b:g:xj0AAOSwB09YJLX4

Here is a older compare on LSI cards. Always check the specs to see which chip the card uses, newer=faster and cooler, and verify that it can be flashed to IT mode to run as a HBA.

https://www.servethehome.com/current-lsi-hba-controller-features-compared/

1 person likes this

that is an awesome yet daunting list!

Cheers chap, will take a look later and see what fits my plans/budget..

Got some funds from flogging my P222 coming in so should be able to sort something out...

I bought one last year for $100USD on aliexpress (always free shipping to Australia).  It is in my 2012R2E server and never missed a beat.  It is an LSI SAS 9207-8i but don't know if it will fit in your rig. How would I tell if it is a fake!  It works! I should note I am not using RAID in my server but the card is capable of Integrated RAID.

31 minutes ago, Poppapete said:

I bought one last year for $100USD on aliexpress (always free shipping to Australia).  It is in my 2012R2E server and never missed a beat.  It is an LSI SAS 9207-8i but don't know if it will fit in your rig. How would I tell if it is a fake!  It works! I should note I am not using RAID in my server but the card is capable of Integrated RAID.

Aside from comparing it to a picture of a good card, check where it shipped from. If it shipped from china... good bet that it's fake.

5 hours ago, Drashna Jaelre said:

Aside from comparing it to a picture of a good card, check where it shipped from. If it shipped from china... good bet that it's fake.

Why would a card shipped from China be necessarily fake! Aren't most or all of these cards made in China?

Which means they have access to similar parts and schematics.  They'd be in a better position to make counterfeits. 

3 hours ago, Drashna Jaelre said:

Which means they have access to similar parts and schematics.  They'd be in a better position to make counterfeits. 

Drashna, you are a sceptic with no faith in your fellowman or is that Chinaman!

I buy nearly all my hardware from China because I can't afford the stuff that was made in China then shipped to USA (in bulk at a fair price) and then shipped to me as a one off at a shipping price that often is more than the price of the item itself.  But that is a problem for us Australians.

A simple google pointed me at several threads re fake cards, I'd rather it take the chance..

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

lol why, why would you post that...

I only need a storage controller that'll support my 2 SFF8087 cables, I've already spent enough time faffing to get it where it is after the Gen8..

Theres already rumours of a Gen10...

7 hours ago, Poppapete said:

Drashna, you are a sceptic with no faith in your fellowman or is that Chinaman!

I buy nearly all my hardware from China because I can't afford the stuff that was made in China then shipped to USA (in bulk at a fair price) and then shipped to me as a one off at a shipping price that often is more than the price of the item itself.  But that is a problem for us Australians.

I'm totally a skeptic, in general. :)

Though, I don't really know for certain, but China is known of a lot of knock off electronics. Tou can find a LOT of threads about it. Heck, I've even seen some "side by side comparisons", so it is definitely happening, and may not be easy to spot.  So ... be careful. 

5 hours ago, JackoUK said:

I think this Microsoft project had just what you are looking for:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/filecab/2016/10/14/kepler-47/

Bit of a cheat in the end since the Thunderbolt support didn't come through ...

... but maybe an Aquantia 5Gb network card soon?

U-NAS, with an ASRock board. Yeah, that's totally what I would love to do for a SFF server. :) 

I mean, that's not sitting in a parts list for me, already.... :)