gibster

Second fan in HP ML10 and new machine setup

24 posts in this topic

Hi All.

Anyone put a second fan into the HP ML10 V2 yet? Just wondering what type you used. I need to put something in front of the PCIe slots. I've got my P222 HDA in slot 4 (top slot) and it's running about 85c which is under the recommended 100c. I'm assuming the temp on the P222 is one of the reasons the system fan seems to be running at about 90% most of the time. Everything else is on the lower end of the scale temp wise. Which makes this not a very quiet machine.

I'm waiting for a Icydock MB994IPO-3SB ToughArmor - 2x 2.5" SAS/SATA HDD + 1x Slim ODD Rack to arrive and the machine will be finished. 

http://www.icydock.com/goods.php?id=149

I've made the following additions to the base server:

Intel Xeon® CPU E3-1265L v3 @ 2.50GHz (45W). Replacing the stock Intel® Pentium® G2130 (55W)

KINGSTON KVR16E11K4/32 32GB (4x 8GB) DDR3-1600 PC3-12800 CL11 UNBUFFERED ECC. Replacing the stock 4GB ram

HP P222 HBA controller (in addition to the stock P120i)

4 HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB Drives 

2 WD WD5000LPLX 500GB Black 2.5" 7200RPM 7.0mm SATA3 Hard Drives

StarTech SAS Cable SFF-8087 to 4x Latching SATA

I've moved the stock SAS drive cabling to the P222 controller, and the new StarTech cable purchased was plugged into the onboard P120i controller. Ports one and two for the stock controller were connected to the 2 WD 2.5" drives and setup in raid 1 and MS 2012 R2 Essentials has been installed on them. They will go into the Icydock bay when it arrives. The 4 - 4 TB drives were installed in the internal drive bay and are hooked up to the P222 and setup as 4 drives. Will pool them with Stable Bit Drive Pool. I wish they had of made a front loading caddy system available like most of the other HP servers.

I'm looking at getting a Sans Digital TowerRAID TR4X6G for future expansion if I need to run more storage off the external SAS port on the P222.

This has been an interesting project and other then the noisy system fan which I hope to fix with the addition on a second fan under the drive bays I'm very pleased with the speed, efficiency, and expandability of the machine.

Cheers

gib

1 person likes this

Hi All.

Anyone put a second fan into the HP ML10 V2 yet? Just wondering what type you used. I need to put something in front of the PCIe slots. I've got my P222 HDA in slot 4 (top slot) and it's running about 85c which is under the recommended 100c. I'm assuming the temp on the P222 is one of the reasons the system fan seems to be running at about 90% most of the time. Everything else is on the lower end of the scale temp wise. Which makes this not a very quiet machine.

I'm waiting for a Icydock MB994IPO-3SB ToughArmor - 2x 2.5" SAS/SATA HDD + 1x Slim ODD Rack to arrive and the machine will be finished. 

http://www.icydock.com/goods.php?id=149

I've made the following additions to the base server:

Intel Xeon® CPU E3-1265L v3 @ 2.50GHz (45W). Replacing the stock Intel® Pentium® G2130 (55W)

KINGSTON KVR16E11K4/32 32GB (4x 8GB) DDR3-1600 PC3-12800 CL11 UNBUFFERED ECC. Replacing the stock 4GB ram

HP P222 HBA controller (in addition to the stock P120i)

4 HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB Drives 

2 WD WD5000LPLX 500GB Black 2.5" 7200RPM 7.0mm SATA3 Hard Drives

StarTech SAS Cable SFF-8087 to 4x Latching SATA

I've moved the stock SAS drive cabling to the P222 controller, and the new StarTech cable purchased was plugged into the onboard P120i controller. Ports one and two for the stock controller were connected to the 2 WD 2.5" drives and setup in raid 1 and MS 2012 R2 Essentials has been installed on them. They will go into the Icydock bay when it arrives. The 4 - 4 TB drives were installed in the internal drive bay and are hooked up to the P222 and setup as 4 drives. Will pool them with Stable Bit Drive Pool. I wish they had of made a front loading caddy system available like most of the other HP servers.

I'm looking at getting a Sans Digital TowerRAID TR4X6G for future expansion if I need to run more storage off the external SAS port on the P222.

This has been an interesting project and other then the noisy system fan which I hope to fix with the addition on a second fan under the drive bays I'm very pleased with the speed, efficiency, and expandability of the machine.

Cheers

gib

Nice!  +1 (as soon as I can +1 again -- already reached my 24hr limit :) )

Can you see the P222 and B120i in the SSA?

I think You could use a cable tie to attach a 60mm fan to the PCIe bracket next to the P222 and have it thus directed onto the P222 (haven't done it in the ML10v2 yet but have done it on other builds to keep the Controller Card cooler)

Nice!  +1 (as soon as I can +1 again -- already reached my 24hr limit :) )

Can you see the P222 and B120i in the SSA?

I think You could use a cable tie to attach a 60mm fan to the PCIe bracket next to the P222 and have it thus directed onto the P222 (haven't done it in the ML10v2 yet but have done it on other builds to keep the Controller Card cooler)

Yes, in fact when I did the initial configuration of the 4TB drives for some reason when I viewed them using MS's computer management/disk management 2 of them showed up as 6 TB drives, and couldn't be added as simple drives. So using the HP Adaptor Management program from within Windows I removed all 4 drives and added them back in again as single drives. This time they showed up correctly and were able to be added to the server. I thought about doing a raid 5 but from all I've read lately I decided to stay away from that and just use Stable Bit for pooling instead.

You can see both adaptors in the HP management program.

I had tried using the icydock mb982spr-2s to hardware raid the two 2.5" drives, but couldn't get it to show up on the B120i at all for some reason. I think that maybe it was because I never got around to using the Controller configuration utility when running HP SUM. But it will actually work better I think using the B120i to individually control the drives, instead of using the icydock raid enclosure to just show the 2 drives as one drive to the system.

Looking around online for 60mm quiet fans now to see what I can do.

The ML10v2 speeds up the main cooling fan if there's a PCI-E card present, so shouldn't really need a second fan.

I notice there's a PCI slot fan kit available for the ML30, which I'd guess physically fits in the ML10v2 (same case), but I don't know how you'd plug it in.  Possibly just run it at 5v off the Molex in the ODD bay?

The ML10v2 speeds up the main cooling fan if there's a PCI-E card present, so shouldn't really need a second fan.

I notice there's a PCI slot fan kit available for the ML30, which I'd guess physically fits in the ML10v2 (same case), but I don't know how you'd plug it in.  Possibly just run it at 5v off the Molex in the ODD bay?

I checked with HP on the PCI slot fan for the ML30 and the tech told me it wouldn't work. Don't know if he was saying that because there is no fan connector on the motherboard or if it won't physically fit. He wouldn't comment on why it wouldn't work.

I buttoned the server up tonight and just laid the 2 1/2" drives on the shelf at the bottom of the 2 - 5.25" bays until the new dock arrives. When I did this the fan speed dropped down to 15% so apparently the ducting really works when the side panel is on. I've got a couple of small fans 60cm and 80cm on order along with power adapters for the molex connector to try and drop the temp on the P222 down. It's at 84c with the case closed up. CPU is sitting at 40c and those are the two items I'm worried about keep cool.

Anyone know of a program like the CPU Usage widget on  win7 that will run on ws2012 r2?

The lack of a second fan connection is probably the reason.  I can't remember off-hand, and can't check until I get home this evening.

The P222 is probably lacking sufficient heatsinking for a low air movement case like the ML10v2 - it was probably designed to go in a high CFM rack server.  

I use a Supermicro SAS2LP HBA in my ML10v2, and it runs fine, but it's just a Marvell-based thing as far as I can remember.   Then again, I fitted a bigger heatsink to my M1015 - the heatsink I used is the chipset cooler off a deceased Dell Optiplex GX620.  It's just on there with some heat conductive epoxy and a 'safety' cable tie.

Maybe Joe would know if the ML30 fan would fit in the ML10 since I think he has had both of them. Would be the easiest solution to get some increase airflow in the lower section of the case.

Will be nice to get it all together and then start installing all the fun stuff on it, Plex, iHome Server, My Movies (for collection management) etc. :wacko:

After viewing the videos from HP that Joe posted a link to, I'm going to order the PCI slot fan, and a hot swap drive cage for an ML30. I see no reason these 2 items shouldn't fit and work properly with the correct cable adaptors.

Cheers

I did check, the fan header is just a blank space on the ML10v2's motherboard.  There's other components missing, so I don't think soldering in another header is an option.  The HP fans are a 6-pin cable, I'm assuming it's PWM and another two wires for a temperature sensor.

I did check, the fan header is just a blank space on the ML10v2's motherboard.  There's other components missing, so I don't think soldering in another header is an option.  The HP fans are a 6-pin cable, I'm assuming it's PWM and another two wires for a temperature sensor.

I knew there was no fan header on the MB. I just received a couple of fans, a 60 and 80 cm Nonoxia Deep Silence models and I'll make one or both of them work on my next days off.

Thanks

I installed a 60cm with wire ties as suggested earlier over the remaining 3 pcie slots pointing right at the heatsink for the P222. I got a molex adaptor for power to the fan. As soon as I can figure out how to get back into iLO4 I'll check and see how the temps are doing. Don't know what happened to iLO but I get a time out in the browser now when trying to go to it. 

1 person likes this

I installed a 60cm with wire ties as suggested earlier over the remaining 3 pcie slots pointing right at the heatsink for the P222. I got a molex adaptor for power to the fan. As soon as I can figure out how to get back into iLO4 I'll check and see how the temps are doing. Don't know what happened to iLO but I get a time out in the browser now when trying to go to it. 

A 60mm fan will make a difference (if it's really a 60cm fan you have in there you have to post a picture :) ) -- a picture would be nice even with a 60mm :)

Looking forward to hearing your results!

A 60mm fan will make a difference (if it's really a 60cm fan you have in there you have to post a picture :) ) -- a picture would be nice even with a 60mm :)

Looking forward to hearing your results!

LOL... I'm originally from America, been here for 13 years now, and still have to get a ruler out to figure cm, mm, etc.

Had a hell of a time getting iLO to work again, but I finally got it running and the temp on the P222 is now 49c so a big difference from the original 84c. Well worth doing. I'll get a pic and post it in a bit.`

Cheers

Here is a screenshot of iLO/Temps after the fan addition...

Well, I tried to attach the jpg but kept getting The Server returned an error during the upload with both the Flash8 and basic uploaders.

gib

OK, let's see if this works. Images of fan, iLO temps, and the front of the server with the great little Icydock MB994IPO-3SB bay with Raid 1 WD Black 500GB drives and a half height DVD drive.

Fan install

https://imageshack.com/i/plbXZmgHj

https://imageshack.com/i/poLHeHOkj

iLO temps

https://imageshack.com/i/pmTyaehZj

Icydock MB994IPO-3SB

https://imageshack.com/i/pojo4mGgj

Sorry if those links don't work above, let me know, I think they are links directly into my account. LOL

Here are links to the post above...

Fan Installation

http://imageshack.com/a/img924/8538/LHeHOk.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img921/9074/bXZmgH.jpg

iLO Temps

http://imageshack.com/a/img922/862/TyaehZ.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img922/4701/EStsC5.jpg (Todays)

Icydock MB994IPO-3SB

http://imageshack.com/a/img924/1613/jo4mGg.jpg

Edited by gibster

The lack of a second fan connection is probably the reason.  I can't remember off-hand, and can't check until I get home this evening.

The P222 is probably lacking sufficient heatsinking for a low air movement case like the ML10v2 - it was probably designed to go in a high CFM rack server.  

I use a Supermicro SAS2LP HBA in my ML10v2, and it runs fine, but it's just a Marvell-based thing as far as I can remember.   Then again, I fitted a bigger heatsink to my M1015 - the heatsink I used is the chipset cooler off a deceased Dell Optiplex GX620.  It's just on there with some heat conductive epoxy and a 'safety' cable tie.

The P222 fits in the HP Microserver Gen8 and is a supported configuration.  I cannot see how the ML10 v2 would have less airflow than the Gen8; I would consider them at least comparable.

84C is not an unusual temperature.  They generally report 80-85C in an iLO4 on the Microserver Gen8, and they operate just fine that way; I've had mine in a Gen8 for 2 years now.

Edited by LoneWolf

I cannot see how the ML10 v2 would have less airflow than the Gen8; I would consider them at least comparable.

The ML10v2 has a large case with lots of holes in it, and only a 92mm fan.  Even with the plastic internal baffle, air leaks in everywhere, so the fan basically only changes the air in the case.  There's no real forced air at play at all.

The Microserver has a 120mm fan in a small case, and only air inlets at the front, so I'd say the Microserver has much, much better cooling.

My ML10v2's chipset temp sits at 48C, with ambient of 22C.  The top PCI-E zone sits at 42C, even without my Supermicro HBA.

The ML10v2 has a large case with lots of holes in it, and only a 92mm fan.  Even with the plastic internal baffle, air leaks in everywhere, so the fan basically only changes the air in the case.  There's no real forced air at play at all.

The Microserver has a 120mm fan in a small case, and only air inlets at the front, so I'd say the Microserver has much, much better cooling.

My ML10v2's chipset temp sits at 48C, with ambient of 22C.  The top PCI-E zone sits at 42C, even without my Supermicro HBA.

The Microserver has a much more constrained chassis however.  Only so much air can be taken in, and the PCIe slot has no direct cooling from the chassis fan without modification due to where the exhaust fan is located.

I'd still think the P222 probably gets better cooling in the ML10 v2 case if only because there is more air.  The power supply also has a larger cooling fan (as opposed to the tiny one in the Microserver).  In the end, it may be a tossup.

Updated note:  My ML310e Gen8 v2 came with a front fan, another difference between it and the ML10 v2.  Note:  It's noisy at first power-on until it gets through the boot cycle; I'd be really interested to compare that to the ML30.

With that in mind, seeing as HP sells a front fan kit, it may be one of the better options (if you're OCD at least and don't want zip ties) to look at getting this kit, and either adapting the fan to work with a standard power connector (IIRC, the ML10v2 may not have this fan connector) or fit another fan in the mount itself.

Barring that, I'd probably use the ventilation holes in the front of the case and look at using panhead screws through them to mount a fan, and if not all holes match, careful use of a drill.  I'd probably add a fan gasket too to reduce vibration.

Edited by LoneWolf
1 person likes this

OK, just got my HP ML30 Front Fan kit. I'm going to try and adapt one of the fans I have laying around into the bracket and see how that works in the ML10. I'm pretty sure that trying to use the actual HP fan is going to be difficult unless someone has the actual pinouts for the fan wiring. 

The stock fan does have a 6 pin connector with 4 wires blue/green/yellow/black with a loop from the black to a second pin.

Now that I've got my magnifing glass out and examined this thing I'm wondering if the computor store sent me the wrong part, it has a different part number on it and says it's a replacement for a 4U Gen 8. Think it's for a rack mount server.

gib

Hmm. This is what was in the box that was labeled correctly. Talked to supplier and sent them photos etc. Waiting for an RMA now.. Not even close when you look at the two parts...  LOL

HP ML310E G8 PCI Fan - 80mm x 38mm 4U 674816-001