Additional Fans in the HPE ProLiant ML10v2
Figure 1 – The side and air baffle is removed to show the location of the two additional 60mm fans I located in the bottom section of the HPE ProLiant ML10v2 Server
When I added a P222 and a video card to my HPE ProLiant ML10v2 Server I was concerned about some temperature readings via iLO4 that exceeded 60C. I wanted to bring that below 60C if possible so I added two 60mm fans using cable ties, blue electrical tape, a Molex to fan power splitter, and a Y fan cable extender/splitter. It was a relative simple job to add these fan: 1) attached to the bottom of the inside frame near the front of the ML10v2 below the main drive cage (area where the Front PCI fan would be located) and 2) attached to lowest PCIe slot cover with cable ties though ventilation holes in the PCIe slot cover.
Figure 2 – The parts I used to install the two 60mm fans in the HPE ProLiant ML10v2
After the blog posting http://homeservershow.com/installing-my-icy-dock-5-25-expresscage-mb326sp-b.html I had received a few questions on how I located and installed my two 60mm fans in the HPE ProLiant ML10v2. I thought it would be helpful to take a video and pictures of how I located the additional fans in the HPE ProLiant ML10v2.
Video 1 – Additional Fans in my ML10v2
Figure 3 – 60mm fan attached to the bottom of the inside frame with three small cable ties near the front of the ML10v2 below the main drive cage (area where the Front PCI fan would be located)
Figure 4 – 60mm fan attached to lowest PCIe slot cover with two cable ties though ventilation holes in the PCIe slot cover
Figure 5 – Another view of 60mm fan attached to lowest PCIe slot cover with two cable ties though ventilation holes in the PCIe slot cover
Figure 6 – Outside case view of 60mm fan attached to lowest PCIe slot cover with two cable ties though ventilation holes in the PCIe slot cover
Figure 7 – View showing both 60mm fans attached – fan on left is blowing UP towards the P222 and video card – fan on right is blowing LEFT into box towards PCIe cards
Figure 8 – Temperature distribution inside the ML10v2 via iLO4. The system fan in BIOS is set to Increased Cooling and the system fan speed was 19% at the time of this reading. Note that in addition to the extra 60mm auxiliary fans located inside the HPE ProLiant ML10v2 the ExpressCage MB326SP-B fans were set on high
In the As-Built that follows I list how this ML10v2 is loaded. Be sure to check out more on this at http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/12114-icy-dock-expresscage-mb326sp-b/ and especially the post http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/12114-icy-dock-expresscage-mb326sp-b/?p=124790 .
As-Built (I named my Computer: SkyNet)
- HP ProLiant ML10v2 Gen9
- Xeon E3-1220v3
- 32GB Unbuffered ECC RAM KVR16E11K4/32
- B120i Logical Drive 01: OS drive – 1 x Corsair Force GT 240GB SSD in RAID0 on HP Dynamic Smart Array B120i RAID Controller – Port 1 (SATA III or 6GB/s) — Icy Dock ExpressCage MB326SP-B Bay 1
- OS: Windows 8.1 Pro
- B120i Logical Drive 02: Data drive – 1 x Samsung 256GB 840 Pro SSD in RAID0 on HP Dynamic Smart Array B120i RAID Controller – Port 2 (SATA III or 6GB/s) – Icy Dock ExpressCage MB326SP-B Bay 2
- B120i Logical Drive 03: Data drive — 4 x WD10JUCT 1TB 2.5” HDDs in RAID10 on HP Dynamic Smart Array B120i RAID Controller – Ports 3, 4, 5, & 6 (each SATA II or 3GB/s) – Icy Dock ExpressCage MB326SP-B Bays 3, 4, 5, & 6
- P222 Logical Drive 01: Data drive – 4 x WD 5TB SE HDDs (WD5001F9YZ) in RAID5 on HP Dynamic Smart Array P222 RAID Controller Card – Ports 1, 2, 3, & 4 (each SATA III or 6GB/s) – mounted in Bays 1, 2, 3, & 4 of drive main cage
- Icy Dock ExpressCage MB326SP-B (I used the existing SATA cable that had gone to the optical drive for bay 5 plus a Blue 18” SATA cable I had in stock from previous projects for Bay 6; StarTech Model SAS8087S450 19” (50cm) Serial Attached SCSI SAS Cable – SFF-8087 to 4x Latching SATA for Bays 1, 2, 3, & 4; I also used a Molex Y to two SATA Power Connectors)
- Video card – HD5450
- 60mm Fan mounted near the bottom front of ML10v2 to increase air flow for the P222 and Video card
- 60mm Fan mounted in empty card slot to direct air flow directly on P222 heat sink (plus Molex to Fan splitter and Y Fan to 2 Fan connector cable)
Please join us in the HSS Forums to discuss this and your solutions for additional cooling inside servers as well as other interesting tech topics.
Check out how this ML10v2 is loaded up in “Performance with my Icy Dock 5.25” ExpressCage MB326SP-B” http://homeservershow.com/performance-with-my-icy-dock-5-25-expresscage-mb326sp-b.html
Other HSS ML10v2 Blog Postings: http://homeservershow.com/tag/ML10v2
HSS HP ProLiant ML10v2 postings: http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/forum/98-ml10-and-ml10v2/